• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ti4200 or ATi what? Good card under $100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the 9600 can do anything a 4200 can plus more. the difference in speed in dx8 is negligible, because they both run them well beyond playable framerates. but the 9600 can also do aa/af. and a video card is far and away the most important purchase for gaming.

id rather have dx8 only at a much higher res than dx9 at low res such as 800x600

Some how this make absolutely no since?

So you would rather play at 1024 x 768 or higher and have low quality, then at 800 x 600 at high quality?

The reason a lot of people want to play at higher resolution is for better image quality, not to lower the image quality to just use the higher resolution.

Anyway, as mentioned already, the 9600 Pro will play at equal or better frame rates to any TI card in DX8.

Here is the real question? Which would you choose for example:

DX8
1024 x 768 at 60 FPS
Low quality visuals

DX9
1024 x 768 at 40FPS
High quality with AA/AF

Personally, I would take the 40FPS and with good visuals and just tweak it to met my play style.

There isnt a HUGE difference between Dx8 effects and 9. Ive seen pics and compared them carefuly. DX9 is a bit more colorful, and the reflections look a tad bit more real. Not something you notice while running around shooting people.

There isnt a HUGE difference between Dx8 effects and 9. Ive seen pics and compared them carefuly. DX9 is a bit more colorful, and the reflections look a tad bit more real. Not something you notice while running around shooting people.

That is true, NOW!

Not many games take full advantage of DX9 yet. I was mainly talking about potential for future games.

Maybe you have not seen the H/L2 Screenies yet? Might want to swing on over to that thread if you have not?

Yuriman said:

exactly and if a 9600 pro matches a ti4200 in dx8 why would I pay much more for a 9600 pro? makes no sense and dx9 isnt special over dx8 either :rolleyes:

and dx9 isnt special over dx8 either

**Sarcasm on**

Yeah, your right.

And,
DX8 is no better than DX7
DX7 is no better than DX6
DX6 is no better than DX5
Heck,
DX5 is the same as DX8 ?

Gee, they must not of added anything "Special" to the newer versions?

** Sarcasm off **

So why would we ever want to get pass DX 1 ?

I would spend the extra for the 9600, not because it has DX9, but because it takes far less hit from AA and AF. And I can see a large dif between DX7 and 8, but 9 doesnt realy add any new effects, it just pretties the current ones up.

aa/af is good but the whole thing is, would you rather have low res aa/af or high res without? its all personal preference :)

the fill rate of a 9600 is alot less than that of a ti4200 so a ti4200 will run a much higher res without aa/af and in my opinion, this owns aa/af anyday :)

god, get off the 4200's sack. like i said, the 9600 can do anything the 4200 can and more. any res the 4200 can run at, the 9600 can too, plus run af to boot.

you have to go on what the person states for price...and no trusted site has a 9600 Pro...for 100.00 or less...just the 9600SE and the 4200 will still out perform the 9600SE...so when someone ask for something in there price range and a choice between cards...you go with what they ask...not what you THINK they want for more then what they listed as a price :rolleyes:

lol, i suggested a 4200 way back in the thread. but i do get tired of hearing oc550 pretend the 4200 is better than 9600 pro.

snyper1982 said:
lol, i suggested a 4200 way back in the thread. but i do get tired of hearing oc550 pretend the 4200 is better than 9600 pro.

I agree with you on that...the 9600 Pro will blow the 4200 away...but the 4200 will beat the 9600SE...sorry for the misunderstand :)

Back