• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new build...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ANIMASANA

Okay folks my old rig is getting rediculously out dated and I am tired of noobs caping me while I lag in front of their auto-shotty in CS:S.
I am asking for suggestions on gaming rig's...

Please include one or all of the following...

1. Your dream gaming rig... Keep it to the basics, only concerned with what is going in the tower. No alienware or pre-built sissy ninny builds please. Only handbuilt custom systems.

2. The gaming rig you currently own/operate and your feelings (good/bad) and what you would change.

3. The most ideal set-up for an SLI mobo and what you think about SLI in general. I've been fudging the idea around in my head and still not sure if I want to take the leap of faith and abandon the long beaten path of AGP cards.

4. Your price saver set-up. List specs for a complete tower setup for $1500 or less.

Okay thanks a lot... if my sig still has my system it's changed a bit but most of it is current so you can see why I am so heart broken on performance. :(

To Moderators: Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I didn't really know where it should go.

Thanks again for your suggestions, see you IGL. :cool:

For a Dream System, I would like a DFI LanParty nForce4 SLi, 2gb(4x512) of OCZ Platinum Revision2(TCCD), Dual 6800 Ultras(512mb each), FX-55 San Diego, 4 WD Raptors and 2x 400gb Seagates, Audigy 2 ZS, Dual Plextor 16x DVD-RW(Double Layer), Enermax Noisetaker 2.0 600w, and a Lian-li V1200b Case.

My Current System(I have two but this is the one I currently LOVE)
-AMD 3700+ San Diego(XP-120)
-DFI nForce4 SLi
-1gb(512x2)OCZ Platinum Revision2
-WD 10k 74gb Raptor(My other system has A LOT more storage)
-BFG 6800gt(Zalman VF700cu)
-Lian-li v1200b w/ OCZ Powerstream 520

My other system is a 2.8ghz Northwood overclocked to 3.8ghz

As for the SLi, I dont' know if I'm the one to answer but 6600gts in SLi look nice or dual 6800gt. 6800 ultras are overkill in SLi

A budget setup(in my opinion) should be less than 1000 including monitor and all the Optical Drives.
-AMD 3000+ Venice
-Epox nForce4 Ultra
-XFX 6600gt 256mb
-200gb Seagate 7200.8
-OCZ Value VX or Corsair Value Select(I have connections with OCZ :p)
-Antec SLK3700-bqe or a Antec P160

-1cem4n

This is the right section to talk about new rigs :)

My current rig:

XP2500 mobile
A7n8x-e deluxe
corsair XMS PC3500
260Gigs HD space
Sparkle 400watt power supply
Radeon 9800 PRO
Watercooling

This rig is great except for 1 thing, that being my motherboard hates my ram so stable OCs are next to impossible (i know this is the reason cause i have tried other ram and it OCs quite nicely). This setup is great, its quiet and fast enough to run every game ive played so far at good FPS at high settings

My Upgrade path:

Venice 3200+
DFI lanparty ultra-d
X700 Pro
Fortron 500Watt
Corsair XMS PC3500

reason for the upgrade: my ram and motherboard compatability issue gives me an excuse to upgrade my processor. FPS wise to i need a upgrade currently, no.

Dream Rig:
FX-55
DFI Lanparty Ultra-d
X850 XTPE
OCZ 600W powersupply
1 or 2 Gigs BH-5, UTT, or TCCD
Watercooled
Mountainmods Case

Reasonable Rig for $1500:
Venice 3500+ $275
DFI Lanparty Ultra-d $135
Fortron 500W $91
Antec Super Lan boy $83
Seagate 200GB SATA $116
1 Gig PQI turbo PC4000 TCCD $203
XP-120 + Fan $60
ATI X800XL $300
DVD Burner $50
Soundblaster Audigy2 ZS $93

Other options include skimping on the sound card, and maybe getting a Venice 3200 to get other upgrades (Venice 3200 has up to x10 multiplier Venice 3500 has up to x11 multiplier)

Advantages of ^^ system, within $1500 budget, cranks, lots of OCing options, all 120mm fans so it will be really quiet

IF you are getting an entirely new system I would highly reccomend going to PCI-Express, If your buying compenents from scratch and not carrying any over from an old system it costs about the same amount and has much more upgrade potential as well as better motherboard options, at least from an AMD socket 939 standpoint (im an AMD guy). But Going PCI-Express does not mean you have to go SLI.

SLI is an option, but I like having one card. I dont see a reason to get SLI unless you have lots of money to shell out and/or run games at really high resolutions like 1600x1200. +from what I have read Nvidia is unsure as to whether the next generation of cards will have SLI enabled on the lower end ones, there is the possibility they will only enable on their higher end cards, not the middle and lower end cards. My opinion of SLI being unessesary also carries over to the SLI equivilent that ATI is developing

Oh and WELCOME TO THE FORUMS :welcome:

Last edited:
Hi Below in my sig is my dream rig or what I though would be a good rig anywho
I have no regrets as to date.

Back