• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time for a new pc; looking for advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cityofglass88

Registered
On a pretty tight budget, but I have some spare change from selling my desktop. Here is what I am looking at.
Goal: Descent performance now with room for heavy upgrades down the road.
Demand: I do not place a great deal of demand on my PC's. Predominately, I watch video on my LCD and a few games. Ex: Sims 3, Starcraft, Bioshock, and Team Fortress 2.

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-890xa-ud3
CPU : Pii 555
GPU : Powercolor 4670 1gb
PSU : Corsair 450vx 450w
Ram : 2gb PC3 10600
HDD : Hitachi 500 gb 7200
ODD : Sony DVDrw
Case : AeroCool Vs-9
CPU Cooler : Zalman 9500a

Hoping to unlock the other two cores on the CPU and overclock it and the GPU.

I have a few questions.
1. Ive recently used Corsair in a few builds of mine lately and have fallen in love. This is going to be my own pc this go around, and was curious if going with a lower quality PSU is worth the cost savings?
2. Im pretty sure it is, but is 2gb enough for what I listed?
3. I do have the option of upgrading my GPU to a XFX 4850 1gb. I know this is a significant boost in performance, but I am having trouble justifying the extra $55.
4. My final question is on the CPU cooler. The Zalman is only $48. I am planning on unlocking and overclocking the CPU. Would there be a large enough difference in cooling to justify splurging on a TRUE?

Any input or criticism is MORE than welcome. Thanks for your time!

Just saw a 400w Corsair on newegg's website for 30. WOW. 400w would be ok wouldn't it?

I'm more than exceeding the requirements of the hardware. Would there be any benefit to getting a larger PSU aside from upgrading potential?

if you plan to keep the rig for a while you need to keep in mind about cap aging. then you need to make sure you have head room in the psu. loaded 100% all the time will kill it fast no matter how well built it is.

If you go with the build you listed I think you will be fine with the Corsair 400 watt model, I would say you could run a 4850 easily as well. Overclocked up to 3.8 with my 550 BE and O.C.ing my 4850 I barely eat up 300 watts. IMO 100 watts is ample overhead.

/Scott
That has been my consideration. Im leaving myself the option of changing CPU down the road if need me. Beyond that, when I would consider upgrading I would probably do sli. With this, I would switch my board out of one that had two x16 slots. All in all, would exceed the ability of a mid ranged psu. Ill just upgrade it when I need it. Also have a few parts from a my last watercooled system, and would eventually need to power the pump if i ever installed a loop.

Really, If you aren't going to be upgrading in the near future, $30 bucks is a great deal on the Corsair. PSU's will likely only get better and more efficient as time progresses so I would also just wait until the need actually arises before worrying about purchasing a "future proof" PSU in your particular situation.

Back