• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to finally start piecing together a new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daleon

I've been chomping at the bits for a new home system for over a year and the time is finally getting here. I really had my hopes up for Ryzen but the memory issues and lack luster initial performance put a damper on that. I'm not dropping a G on a cpu though so the 7900X is out. I'm hoping the 7820X will have a good combo price at MC otherwise it will be the 7800X or go cheap and OC a 1700 then upgrade later.

I don't need a million PCIe lanes. Will have 1 GPU and 1 NVMe ssd, 1 ssd, and sound card. Gaming is all that really matters, everything else I do can be done easily on any performance gaming system.

I am ditching the X34 Predator. I really miss my 55" 4K curved and the 100 hz has really been meaningless for me. I had hoped it would help with my eye strain but I haven't been able to tell any difference. I rarely play twitch games anymore and I got much better immersion with the big screen. I also use my monitor as my primary TV most of the time and size does matter for that. Almost jumped on the TCL 55P607 but I wanted to see some reviews first and now its back ordered and the version at BB has crappy remote. Its a bit of a panel lottery also and the Dolby Vision is kind of crap so far but otherwise very good reviews. May wait for the higher end C series for a slimmer build and hopefully better quality panels.

Since I won't be G-SYNC anymore I'm not completely tied to NV so hopefully we find out what Vega has got soon.

What I have decided on so far:
Case: Corsair Air 740 (might get a little tight on the desk with the 55 but I think I can fit it)

Cooling: Fractal Design Celsius S36 360mm Silent High Performance Slim Expandable All-In-One (almost went with a Noctua NH-D15 but I've been AIO for last couple of builds and had no issues. I don't miss trying to shove a giant HSF in the middle of a case cutting my fingers up, and taking up the entire view inside either. I love the looks of a custom loop setup but what I would want to build would cost way more than I need. The performance on this AIO looks pretty good and not really any quality complaints that I could find)

Big Slow Storage: 4 TB Deskstar NAS

Will likely keep my current PSU and replace it with something a little more reasonable for a mining setup.
Sound Blaster Z and 840 EVO for game installs coming from old system.

Buying in pieces helps making swallow the costs a little more manageable. Would like to have everything ready by the time I decide on CPU\MB so next up on the agenda to pick up:

RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4266 is really tempting to jump on but clearly not on Ryzen QVL. Is there anything that will do 2933 on Ryzen and around 4000 on Intel out there?

NVMe - Pretty sure just stick to Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB (just picked one up for a laptop and its superb.

FANs - Will likely add 3 120mm to do Push\Pull. Plus replace\add up to 5 140mm's in the case. Would like RGB and all the pretty lights, top notch air flow and fairly quiet. No idea here what would be best.

GPU - If its 1080 Ti leaning towards the MSI Sea Hawk X. I don't OC my GPU's and I don't need every last ounce of core\mem I can get out of a card for what I do. Its a little pricey and I usually go EVGA for the warranty but I can't remember the last time I had a GPU go out on me, at least more than 8+ years. Otherwise can't wait to see what the Vega founder's edition cards do.

Last edited:
Sounds like a sweet build. The 960 EVO drives are amazing (as you know). I have one in my system now, and I love it! I also just stepped up from the 1080 to a 1080 Ti (FE) using the EVGA step up program. I'll continue buying EVGA in the future just because their customer service is truly awesome. I want to support the good work they do in that arena. I'm also gaming at 4K, albeit on a 32 in monitor. I noticed a definite improvement in going from the vanilla 1080 to the Ti. Approximately 30% performance increase. I highly recommend it if you will be doing most of your gaming at 4K and/or above 60Hz.

Yeah pretty sure going to get the 500 GB 960 EVO, price is coming down nicely on them.
Unfortunately I doubt I will see a big performance increase but it should look a little better and smoother vs the 980 SLI.

Ordered some pretty lights today.
3x Corsair HD Series HD120 RGB LED & Lighting Node PRO

I almost bit on a 7820X today but damn the MB's are expensive and it sounds like there is some kind of gaming performance bug right now so I'll wait a little longer.

Got some stuff in.

Parts.jpg

Wait, propane? This is gonna be one hot build!

Killing me not to run out and get the rest of the parts right now... but pretty sure I want to wait on the EVGA FTW3 Hybrid and they are dragging their feet getting it out. Still unsure on cpu\mb. At 4K gaming it doesn't look like I will see any real performance differences anyway which sucks.

What are you going to use the PC for?

Ha, streaming? And by streaming I mean watching streams lol. That seems to be what I do the most of time now. But its mainly a gaming build for when I actually feel like jumping into something. Right now all I'm playing is some Albion Online and D3. Eventually some SC, Battlefront 2, etc.

I also use it for work stuff to but that's just browsers and maybe one or two VM's. Right now I am leaning towards waiting on Threadripper but if its more than 2 months I may just get a cheap R5 1600 combo and try OC'ing it to 3.9 then easily throw it into a spare build later.

Last edited:
Ha, streaming? And by streaming I mean watching streams lol. That seems to be what I do the most of time now. But its mainly a gaming build for when I actually feel like jumping into something. Right now all I'm playing is some Albion Online and D3. Eventually some SC, Battlefront 2, etc.

I also use it for work stuff to but that's just browsers and maybe one or two VM's. Right now I am leaning towards waiting on Threadripper but if its more than 2 months I may just get a cheap R5 1600 combo and try OC'ing it to 3.9 then easily throw it into a spare build later.

Sounds like you don't need all those cores for what you do? A i7 7700k would do just fine for what you do. If you were gaming and streaming at the same time or encoding you could use more than 4 cores.

Sounds like you don't need all those cores for what you do? A i7 7700k would do just fine for what you do. If you were gaming and streaming at the same time or encoding you could use more than 4 cores.

Yea but what fun is it building for just what you need heh. When working during the day I will typically have quite a bit running and often jumping in and out of games between work all of which has to stay up and running.

The 7700K is already out of date. If Coffee Lake wasn't delayed it would be ready for retirement already.

It will definitely be either a 7820X or a comparable priced Threadripper.

Yea but what fun is it building for just what you need heh. When working during the day I will typically have quite a bit running and often jumping in and out of games between work all of which has to stay up and running.

The 7700K is already out of date. If Coffee Lake wasn't delayed it would be ready for retirement already.

It will definitely be either a 7820X or a comparable priced Threadripper.

Well the fun is just keep upgraded for what you use. I just upgraded from sky lake to kaby lake, then I will up grade to Cannonlake it more fun upgrading all the time. I use my PC 8 hours a day for everything and two of my hobby's is PC forums and upgrading. So what I do is purchase minimal equipment that I use to the full potential without excess and keep upgrading then selling the used components.:D

I prefer to do a major build every 2-2.5 years. I hate trying to sell stuff. But since everything from a R5 1600X to a 7900X seem to perform within 5-10% for gaming at 4K I guess there is not much sense in dumping the money for no reason. Though the Aorus X299 Gaming 9 is one seriously sexy MB just don't know about dropping 5 bills on a mb.

Ordered 2 kits of 2x8 GB Trident 3200 RGB C14 and 500 GB Samsung EVO 960 and a M.2 heatsink.

I like G.SKill 3200 14-14-14-34 memory, good choice. So have you decided what you are going to purchase for processor? Motherboards are such a simple technology I spend as little as I can for the features I want.

Still on the fence. Kind of want quad channel memory support. If I go with a temp solution leaning towards the Asus Strix B350-F Gaming and a 1600X.

Yeah, I know its mostly a gimmick. There is theoretically a nice gain in memory bandwidth but anything beyond enterprise apps like SQL Server aren't really optimized for it.

4 RGB memory slots is much sexier than 2 though.

I agree with that.:D

Memory comes in tomorrow so I want to at least start building. If they would have had 7820X's in stock I likely would have dropped the dime for one. The new Asus X299 Strix and Deluxe models have 5V RGB Addressable headers that would allow me to Aura sync with my Corsair fans! And since it looks like I need the latest version of Aura sync and completely avoid installing the Gskill RGB software to avoid SPD corruption I was really looking for a way to sync them. Not to mention these boards have some really nice features but I guess for $350-500 you should get some nice stuff.

So I ended up with a R7 1700\Prime X370-Pro combo for $400. Almost just went with a 1600X\B350 combo for $280 and just avoid OC'ing since I will likely be replacing both not far down the line but the R7 may be easier to sell off.

For now I guess I am transplanting the 2x980's over. I am second guessing my cooling decision. Really tempted to switch to a EKWB kit.

Parts2.jpg

The Ryzen don't need that great of cooling when overclocking with a soldered IHS. Looks like a nice setup.:)

Yeah not worried about cooling the R7. I won't be pushing max voltage for everyday use. If I end up going i9 or Threadripper later I might try doing a custom loop with rigid tubing since it looks much better. Got to fill this AIR 740 with something.

I am thinking of switching out the Fractal for the Kraken X62v2. Just hoping the HUE+ software doesn't mess with the memory but I don't think it reads SPD's.

Well MC just dropped their their R7 prices another $20. Good thing I didn't start building yet. Taking combo back and may just get the 1700X since its now the same price. Ordered the X370 Strix since its finally in stock on egg. Paying about a $80 premium since I'm not getting the combo price discount from MC but since I decided to switch over to the Kraken X62 also I figured why not get a nicer RGB mb. I also like that its a newer board with some nicer components and read some annoying stuff about the bios on the Prime.

Sounds like fun for you. I don't look inside my case so RGB is a waste for me. What is annoying with Prime bios?

Back