• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to replace a 9 year old laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Main uses, web browsing, streaming and stored video/audio, office documents, would like it if it plays well with Dragon voice software.

Also, I would like it to be able to play midrange to low end video games as well. Stuff like Warhammer 40K, Plants vs Zombies, Deus Ex, Torchlight.

So, what are the minimum level CPU and video I need?

This looks to be pretty decent. Refurb, but I'm ok with that.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318924

It is an older i7, 820QM, but it is a quad core with hyperthreading. The resolution on the screen is 1600x900, not 1366x768. Plus the while the graphics aren't the latest, it seems to compare a little better than some of the newer intel options. I can also eventually replace the HD with an SSD.

And Lenovo is known for their fairly rugged hardware. And the dock seems to be pretty nice too. Though it looks like you need to buy a replacement charger right off.

Am I missing any gotchas?

Well, with such glowing recommendations and an overwhelming drumbeat of support for getting the Lenovo, how could I not get it.

laptop.png

Looks brand new. No marks, no stuck pixels. Running the windows updates now.

Back