• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tired of crackling music with onboard sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wayward_Son

I built this rig almost two years ago, and opted to save money by using the onboard sound on my Asus A8N-SLI vanilla motherboard.

I had been using some now-discontinued Logitech 5.1 90-watt speakers for a few years, until one day they died with a loud pop. I replaced them with my current Logitech 2.1 speakers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121122

I have had these for about ten months.

I never noticed any crackling or popping with my previous speakers. When I bought these current speakers, I noticed a lot of crackling and popping with music playback. It doesn't seem to happen while playing games, but it could be that I just don't notice it while focused on blasting aliens with shotguns. I thought at first that I was just picking up static from bad MP3's ripped at low bit rates, but I get the same crackle if I put a good CD into the player and play it through any media program. Doesn't matter if I'm using WMP, WinAmp, or any other interface.

I could have sent my speakers back long ago for an exchange, but I'm lazy and that window has closed.

I don't really know if my problem stems from these speakers or from the onboard sound on my mobo. Ultimately, I would really like to get a new standalone sound card and some different speakers, but for now I am limited to one or the other.

I am seriously considering one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132001

But I'd hate to drop $200 on a sound card and still hear the same static in music play back.

Until now, I really wasn't all that concerned with PC sound quality, but I have reached a breaking point and I demand clarity. Better speakers and a better sound card are ultimately the best solution, but if I'm limited to one which option should I choose based on what I've described?

Last edited:
I think your best bet is the brand new Asus Xonar DX. Just came out a few days ago and the reviews I've seen put it's sound quality a tiny bit better than Xfi and the gaming holds up just fine too. If you were specifically just concerned about FPS, the Xfi does seem to give a couple of FPS better on average, but IMO the Asus is worth it for the price, features, and just not being a Creative branded card. IN case you never heard about the most recent Creative "scandal" with Daniel K, people are boycotting Creative, and I'm jumping on that bandwagon.

Anywho.... I am currently running onboard because my X-fi is having difficulties. If I cannot fix it, I think the Asus will definitely be my next card.

(Newegg link)
(Asus Link)
(Review: Techreport)

Seems to be the only review I can find on the card, but it IS only a few days old.

EDIT: Oh and another great thing is that you don't have to screw around with Creatives "Alchemy" software for games that need Direct3D. The Asus card supports the same functions in it's drivers. Oh and it's also PCIe based, so you can actually use one of those 1x PCIe slots on your board. :)

My Asus P5B shipped with onboard sound issues, and I wanted a cheap solution. I got a Chaintech AV-710 for $26 off newegg (Not carried anymore) and it's fantastic once you use the 473b drivers. You should be able to find a used one for $10-20.

Personally I don't care for the $150+ sound cards when the clarity of my little card is so much better than onboard.

The AV-710 is a pretty damn good card. If you like all the EAX stuff its not for you, but if you can get past EAX, its the best $25 you could spend. With the money youd save buying one, you could get some better speakers. Regardless of what people say about their Logitech/Klipsch/Creative 5.1 and 2.1 setups, computer speakers will never sound as good as some low to mid-range bookshelf speakers and an amp in the same price range. I hear alot of hootin and hollerin about people using such computer setups for an HTPC and whatnot, but they really dont compare. A 3" full range speaker will never sound as good as a 6.5" 2-way bookshelf.

Go to a pawn shop an pick up a cheap amp and speakers, I was just in the attic and pulled down some old Klipsch speakers and picked up an amp from a pawn shop. Best sound I've ever had. Then go and pick up a cheap sound card ;)

See...

You are using onboard sound with $300+ speakers. The problem COULD partly be onboard, and either way the amount you are spending on speakers it doesn't hurt to try a card, and the audio quality will be noticeably better.

It might be prudent for you to search for new drivers for the onboard sound...Uninstalling the current drivers and loading the new drivers...Probably would not hurt for you to uninstall the current drivers and reload them.

That is what I would do first...My 2 cents.

its onboard, get a new sound card and keep your current speakers! The XonarDX is a good buy and from what my friend says...a nice improvement over her Audigy 2 (which I have now:) ) The Xonar d2 is better but for a few dollars less (DX) you are missing a few features and still getting great sound. My friend is extremely happy w/ her Upgrade..and so am I..hehe.

If you still get crackling...then its your speakers and you will have still made a great upgrade over onboard sound. No loss:)

Back