• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Titan EX WiFi Extender from Amped Wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Robert17

Premium Member
Very frequently I see a new question posted regarding wifi extenders, or how do I get better home wifi signals, on OCF. I'm posting his up so as to get some reaction as much as anything. My expectation is to see somewhere north of 100 comments stating that the poster 'doesn't want to spend that much money' or such. But hey, if you want wifi on the outside deck of your third story of your estate or out on the far end of your olympic pool, money should not be throttling you anyway. Perhaps this topic deserves it's own day in the light.

Check it out here. I'm not saying there aren't better, bigger, faster, or more expensive or cheaper. Just, here's a product.

DIY antennas are a great way to boost wireless range. I used to really like the "cantenna", but now my favorite is the biquad since it is much more compact.

I just got this repeater for a neighbor of mine, so that he could use his mother's Wifi (she lives about 4 houses down). Worked like a charm, but if you live in a congested area (with a lot of wireless signals in the air), you may have to change the wireless channel for it to work well.

You'll do much better with two cheap but decent routers that can be flashed to DD-WRT. The cheap repeaters cut usable bandwidth in half.

You'll do much better with two cheap but decent routers that can be flashed to DD-WRT. The cheap repeaters cut usable bandwidth in half.

True, but why would that matter? I mean, in my house, if it's important, it's hardlined. Right now that only includes my main rig and Blu-Ray player. But once I have the time, I'm going to convert an old Dell into a server that will be hardlined. The phones, tablets and laptops don't do anything that would require full bandwidth, so I would be fine with them not getting it. Plus, anything close enough to the main router is going to pick that up instead of the repeater, and get full bandwidth anyway.

I guess what I'm saying, is "why would I spend almost $200 on a range extender when the $20 job does just fine?"

Back