• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TJ07 Build v2.0: Core2Quad, 8800GTX trade-station/frag-box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theorie

EDIT: Project continues here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5845477

hey there ocforums! it's been awhile but i'm back again with a new project. i've been a member here for years. i used to go by the name "fujikuro" but for the past two years i've been using this new name.

some of you might remember my last build/project. well, i ended up selling that rig and i'm finally getting around to starting a new one. i've been surviving with only a laptop for the past several months because i've been move around a lot, but i'm finally settled again so i figure it's time for a new desktop rig.

here's some info on my last tj07 build:
+ ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 Motherboard
+ AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2.0GHz Socket 939 Processor
+ (2) eVGA 7800GT CO Video Cards
+ SAPPHIRE Radeon 7000 PCI Video Card
+ CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Memory
+ Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty Sound Card
+ Dual-Layer DVD+/-RW Burner
+ Sunbeam Tech 540w PSU
+ Silverstone TJ07 Black ATX Computer Case
+ DangerDen TDX Waterblock
+ DangerDen Koosah SLI Waterblocks for Nvidia 7800/7900
+ DangerDen Delrin Fillport
+ DangerDen DD12V-D5 Pump
+ Black Ice GTX Gen Two Xtreme 360 Radiator
+ Alphacool Cape Coolplex Pro 25 External Reservoir
+ (2) Lian Li EX-23B Expansion Hard Drive Kits
+ Sunbeam Rheobus Fan Controller 5.25"
+ Numerous Hard Drives totaling over 1TB

photos of my last tj07 build:

you can find the full build log here:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=467783
and any broken image links can be found here:
http://gallery.tfrascone.net/main.php/v/tech/pc_tj07/

so now on to my new project. i really wanted something that was extremely powerful out of the box, with overclocking potential. i absolutely love the silverstone tj07 case so i decided to use that model again. i mainly use my computer for trading the stock market and doing photography/design work, but i also do a lot of gaming. i'm partial to evga and nvidia so i wanted to use their parts whenever possible. i spent a few days reading reviews and playing with different configurations and here is the part list i finally decided to order:

CPU:
Intel "Core 2 Quad" 2.66GHz Quad-Core Processor
19-115-027-02.jpg

CPU cooler:
ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT
35-118-020-02.jpg

Motherboard:
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 Motherboard
13-188-024-09.jpg

Video card:
EVGA GeForce 8800GTX Superclocked 768MB GDDR3 Video Card (621MHz GPU, 2000MHz memory)
14-130-079-10.jpg

System memory:
(2) CORSAIR Dominator 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit

Power supply:
Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Power Supply

Primary hard drive:
Western Digital Raptor 150GB 10,000 RPM Hard Drive

Optical drive:
Pioneer 20X DVD±R DVD Burner (Black)

Case:
Silverstone TJ07 (Black) Aluminum Tower
11-163-060-01.jpg

Monitors:
(2) ASUS 22" DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
24-236-028-06.jpg

Mouse:
Logitech MX Revolution Cordless Laser Mouse

Keyboard:
RAZER Tarantula Keyboard & Battlelight LED Lightbar
a_razor_tarantula_gaming_keyboard.jpg

i think this setup is going to be perfect for my needs. my stock trading platform uses a lot of cpu usage to actively chart and track numerous stocks and indicators. the dual monitors will allow me to see multiple charts at once. for gaming, the video card should be able to handle anything i can throw at it, and in the future i can add 1 or 2 more for dual or triple sli performance. 4gb of ram will really help when i'm photoshopping massive documents or working with multiple high-res raw files. overall i think this is going to be a great rig.

for now, i'm just waiting for the parts to come. i ordered everything from newegg except for the keyboard & mouse (which i ordered from amazon). after i've got it all set up i'll start thinking about cooling options. i've been custom cooling & overclocking for several years now so i'm sure it won't be long before i trick out this rig.

check back soon for updates...

Last edited:
I've been really happy with my nVidia-chipset mobo but I think you may be better off with a Intel board with the Q6600. Seems like more people are getting higher FSB numbers easily with Intel boards, the nVidia boards are a bit more finicky and I've heard of some with a few FSB holes, and it seems like overall the Intel NB can take the added stress better than nVidia's and therefore can achieve a higher max stable FSB.

I have the MX Revolution and it's a great mouse, but you have to be one of those people who rests their palm on the top-back portion of the mouse to really be comfortable with it. I'm more the type that has my fingers on it and I fling it around with my palm resting on my gel pad. Just something you might consider. Because of this I've put the MX to HTPC duty since it's wireless and I'm using my old-school Intellimouse for main-rig duty.

TJ, Dominator (D9), Raptor all good with me.

I'd go with an Ultra 120 or Tuniq Tower 120 over the Zalman cooler. If you're worried about the uneven bases on these two and that's why you were choosing the Zalman I'm about to sell my lapped Tuniq Tower, let me know if you're interested.

Can't comment on the other gear as I don't have any experience with it.

Its long been my opinion that someone could take a dump in that case and still have a good looking computer. Be sure to post lots of pics!

PS Please do not use the case as a place to store poop.

finally...an update!

sorry, i ended up moving kind of out-of-the-blue, and i just got settled in to my new apartment.

anyway, the parts all came, set up the rig, loaded vistal ultimate x64.

this thing screams! currently have it overclocked to 3.5ghz thanks to the nice zalman cooler.

i ended up getting a 40" Samsung LCD 1080p television. decided to build myself a nice little "workstation"

i think the pics say it all:

DSC_6574.jpg

desk setup before the 40" lcd was installed
DSC_6751.jpg

desk setup after mounting the 40" lcd
DSC_6765.jpg

working. get money, get money...
DSC_6772.jpg

got a APC Back-UPS XS 1300 to protect the computer from power failure. the TV is currently connected to the computer via component cables, but i just ordered a DVI to HDMI cable. also, i decided to order another 8800 GTX. it should be here by the end of the week, or monday. :D

I can still see a little bit of that window, pesky sunlight!

Awesome setup man! I finally got my 19" widescreen monitor and now have it side by side with my 17".... moving up to a 40" like yours, I don't think I'd be able to pull away from my comp ha ha!

Yeah, you should really be able to tell a difference once you get that DVI->HDMI cable.
Did the same thing with my 26' Vizio and noticed a huge difference, sharpness wise.

If I'm not mistaken I think you have your Zalman mounted backwards.

yes i know, i did that on purpose. i have my two rear fans set to suck in air, and the two top fans exhaust. i've found this is the best airflow config for this case and also since my computer is right next to a window it's sucking 32f air from outside. haha

had a really good day trading earlier this week..so i went a little crazy on newegg...

(3) 8800gtx superclocked
DSC_7081.jpg

everything installed
DSC_7095.jpg

also added a scythe kama 120mm intake fan to the front. replaced the ****ty scythe fan with a nice 120mm silverstone for less noise & better cfm.
DSC_7100.jpg

Back