• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To Air or not to Air?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer36

Well im currently bleeding/leak testing my WC setup in the sig. Now when I had a Maze4 for my Intel 478 it had problems leakin around the pump. So now If I see any signs of leaking I think im going to move to Air once again.

So for a AMD 939 Opteron 146 would the XP-90C give me enough headroom to OC a little? I have been searching and some poeople say they prefer the XP-90C over the XP-120? Is the XP-90C one of the best Air cooling solutions out?

Thanks

The XP-90C is an excellent cooler, coupled with a decent strength fan (a delta tri blade or a tornado if you can stand it). What motherboard do you have? I'm not sure if the XP-90 has any incompadable motherboards, as it is a large cooler.

The xp-90c is one of the best available i think. But to achieve temperatures like the xp-120 you will need a louder fan while with a xp-120 you can essential use a quieter fan that will push the same amount of air since the fan is bigger

I would say that the xp-90c will give you a good amount of headroom for an oc.

Don't bother buying a new one unless you are really going allout hardcore.

Good luck with the watercooling.

I just got the DFI NF4-D, according to the Thermalright site it should work. Now what dB-A level am I looking at if I want a mild oc ~2.4-2.5Ghz?

My current WC setup is quite loud ~37 dB-A, for each 120mm on my '77 Bonneville HC(2).

Where exactly is it leaking from? It could be an easily fixable leakage problem, just make a thread in the WC section asking for some help, it's not hard making a system leakless (supposedly)

Ok guys im sick of it, I tried to instal it and things just don't work out.

So how does the SI-120 compair to the XP90C? I am looking to keep the dB-A under 37 dB-A so would the SI-120 be better with say a higher CFM fan at a lower noise?

Last edited:
The Scythe Ninja is normally around 1 to 2 degrees cooler than the XP-120, and you can fit two fans on it instead of one. I know this isn't what you're asking, just thought I would bring it up.

I'm using a lapped XP-90C with a medium-flow fan (Can't remember the name ATM, it's a Delta, FFB something or other), and according to my temp sensor my Venice never goes above 42*C at 1.6v. Just something to think about.

Well I wen't ahead and ordered a SI-120 as I would like a lower noise case than my previous build. Kinda got used to the nice quiet OEM HSF.

four4875 said:
so a 90 with that fan would beat a 120 with my 120mm GFB pushin 220 CFM? that seems like it would be difficult to do... more heatsink and more fan there than a 90

It's all about the material used. The XP-90C is 690g of copper and the XP-120 is 370g of aluminum. If they ever were to make an XP-120C, it'd be much better, but they're too concerned about weight. Although, since an XP-90 and an XP-120 are almost the same weight, I don't see why an XP-120C would be much heavier than an XP-90C.

Archer36 said:
Well I wen't ahead and ordered a SI-120 as I would like a lower noise case than my previous build. Kinda got used to the nice quiet OEM HSF.

You can try the following fan, it's less than 37 dB as you want and it's decent airflow.
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12mesp.html

Back