• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Tom's] No 700 series until 2014

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
mlr2rZG.png
Toms Hardware said:
The guys over at WCCF Tech have gotten their hands on Nvidia's GPU roadmap, and it appears that the 700 series of discrete graphics cards might not appear until 2014. While there were already rumors that Nvidia and AMD would be waiting until next year for the next generation of graphics cards, it appears a bit more certain for Nvidia now.

Nvidia might have just launched its 700M mobile graphics parts, but beyond the release of the GTX Titan LE, which appears to be scheduled for a release in Q3 2013, we won't be seeing any other new GPU's from Nvidia until at least 2014. This is because we can only assume that the new GPUs will be based on the Maxwell architecture, which is only planned for release in 2014. Either way, we won't be seeing any more 600 series parts hit the market this year. Of course, the assumption that the next generation will be based on the Maxwell architecture might be wrong, but that doesn't stop almost all sources pointing to a 2014 release for the 700 series discrete graphics cards.

It appears that Nvidia might only release the 700 series of discrete graphics cards in 2014, shortly after the rumors of AMD's plans to release the HD8000 series starting Q4 2013.

Regardless, while it might make the tweakers among us sad that we won't be seeing new mainstream discrete graphics cards anytime soon, it does mean that if you have a 600 series graphics card or HD7000 series, it'll still give you good value until the end of the year. If you don't, it's not too late to go and grab one (or two).

Can't say that I'm surprised, while AMD isn't launching the 7*** series until then they don't have much reason to show their hands. Hopefully this will give some time to boost up the capabilities and such to be ready for the post-console-launch games that may take advantage of some sort of new technologies. Maybe they will be DX12 capable?

NVIDIA alway let AMD release their card first and a few month later Nvidia will release something faster
Tumor is AMD will release their 8xxx by Q4 this year or very early next year

NVIDIA alway let AMD release their card first and a few month later Nvidia will release something faster
Rumor is AMD will release their 8xxx by Q4 this year or very early next year

I think always is a bit of a strong word, no? nVidia hasn't always had something second or necessarily faster either.

Tumor is AMD will release their 8xxx by Q4 this year or very early next year

and the 7970 still beat the 680 :thup:
but than Nvidia was like NOOOO than throw money at a card and then came the Titan

and the 7970 still beat the 680 :thup:
but than Nvidia was like NOOOO than throw money at a card and then came the Titan

Maybe on paper. I had an AMD card for the last 4 generations and moved to Nvidia with the 680. Loading times, depth of field image quality, as well as better anti-aliasing have kept me happy without feeling like I've needed to upgrade for longer than AMD ever did. Also, I don't need to 'wait for the next driver' for my problems to be fixed or for a performance increase, I always have stellar performance and no bugs. I don't want to turn this into a fight, because that's all it ever turns into, but you should consider overall happiness over benchmarks. Competition makes us all the winner here.

I agree with the above poster that until games come out with something more demanding there is no point. BF4 has cool features but the game looks like BF3. Crysis 3 came and went without anyone really caring or even using it as a benchmark. Until we have that new, sickly high graphic game again... why come out with another refresh?

^Wise words which I totally agree with (maybe I am wise :screwy:).

Waiting for Haswell launch to pull the trigger on a new rig, I am exactly at this point.

Should I go for a 7970 and get the best performance/OC capabilities? Or should I grab a 680 and have the piece of mind...

BoT, current gen cards run any game maxed out@1080p. And as said in the thread, it's maybe a smart move to wait for next gen consoles before bringing some new tech on the market.

^Wise words which I totally agree with (maybe I am wise :screwy:).

Waiting for Haswell launch to pull the trigger on a new rig, I am exactly at this point.

Should I go for a 7970 and get the best performance/OC capabilities? Or should I grab a 680 and have the piece of mind...

Get the EVGA GTX 680 4gb

I say get whichever you want, both will perform about the same anyway (depends on the game). The 680 will be quite a bit more expensive though.

^^^ I didn't want to start a war here, lol!

Just saying I am in the same boat as many people.

Anyway, I think I am old enough to make my own choice (certainly a 7970 ;)).

Well my plan is to sell my EVGA GTX 680 HC and grab a EVGA GTX Titan LE Hydro Copper (Hoping and praying they make those) and wait till 2015 for the refresh of the Maxwell (Assuming its marked as a GTX 880). Only reason why I want to do this now is because I'am stuck with 2 GB of Vram and need more for 5760x1080 @ 60Hz.

kepler is nice but my money will go on maxwell.

about dx12, dx11 is still young and render devs wouldn't be too happy about it.
i'd be more happy if dx stop existing though.

I'm willing to bet that the two manufacturers are waiting for console release buzz to wear off a bit this fall so as not to shoot themselves in the foot releasing a video card about the same time. Why compete for the same buck?

"These new 600 series 660-670-680's do not need a second card to help. There truly is no reasonable reasoning to go SLI with a single monitor for 95% of every game on the market."

I really agree with this statement.People are still lining up to buy theses cards.I always look for the sweet spot, Price vs Performance.At 250 dollars it's a bargin for new technology.Actually, its a smart decision.Make a nice profit on the current series, by delaying the 700 series, and put the wow factor in the next.

Back