• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ton of spam mail after windows update?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Hi all, I'm here because Microsoft won't help and they just treat their customers like dummies who don't understand basics of anything.

After the last major update, not the 1909 I'm installing now, I noticed that my outlook live email account gets a ton of spam advertisement emails. I can just ctrl+a and delete all but I shouldn't have to do this and I also get emails in my junk folder that I need to keep so it's becoming a cumbersome process, filtering through everything.

Anyone have a suggestion how I can fix this. Everything was fine and I was getting the "normal" amount of spam mail before this damn update.

Thanks in advance.

I'm running Win10 Home 64x

Hi all, I'm here because Microsoft won't help and they just treat their customers like dummies who don't understand basics of anything.

After the last major update, not the 1909 I'm installing now, I noticed that my outlook live email account gets a ton of spam advertisement emails. I can just ctrl+a and delete all but I shouldn't have to do this and I also get emails in my junk folder that I need to keep so it's becoming a cumbersome process, filtering through everything.

Anyone have a suggestion how I can fix this. Everything was fine and I was getting the "normal" amount of spam mail before this damn update.

Thanks in advance.

I'm running Win10 Home 64x
I will start by saying: I don't know. However, I don't suspect that the two are the same issue. Isn't Outlook live cloud based? My thinking is that about the same time you applied the update, Microsoft's SPAM filter had a glitch.

About the only thing you can do is either start a new outlook live account or create filters for the different spam email addresses that come into your inbox. The latter is a tedious process and would take consistency over a period of time. The spammers tend to counter filters by changing up their email and/or deploying multi point sourcing.

Are you having email forwarded to your outlook live account from other accounts? If so, check which accounts are being used by the spammers. It could be that the problem is not actually with your outlook live account but another one that is feeding into it. If that is the case and it happens to be the email address your ISP account is built on (e.g., Comcast) then you won't be able to change that email address without canceling the account and starting with a new one.

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into it. I believe my gmail account gets all emails but not sure if my outlook gets gmail emails. I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks for the tips. If microsoft spam filter hand a glitch, how would one reset it to default?

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into it. I believe my gmail account gets all emails but not sure if my outlook gets gmail emails. I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks for the tips. If microsoft spam filter had a glitch, how would one reset it to default?

My thought is that you wouldn't. It may be an issue on their end. The other thought is that you may just have been placed on SPAMmers lists and are experiencing a new level of SPAM.

i've never used outlook email service, but... is it possible you signed up for anything with that email recently? some sites will share your email with advertising companies and your spam count will skyrocket astronomically, i have one email (yahoo) only that i use for signing up for most services because of this, then i have my main email (gmail) that i ONLY use for reputable places like netflix, amazon, disney+, youtube ect and that account receives 0 spam whereas in a month my other email will his 999+ in a couple months if i dont clean it out.

Your ISP and your webmail company have spam filters on their end (which you have no control over) but you also can make your own with your email client (i.e., a program that lives on your computer and handles your email) or your web mail app.

Your ISP and your webmail company have spam filters on their end (which you have no control over) but you also can make your own with your email client (i.e., a program that lives on your computer and handles your email) or your web mail app.

You're ISP has nothing to do with E-Mail filtering unless they are your E-Mail provider. (eg [email protected]/[email protected]/[email protected])

Yes, I realize this. But if the OP is having mail forwarded from his ISP email account then the ISP filters would apply.

He's using outlook live email which is not provided via an ISP.

Gee. Let's not all jump to the conclusion that micro$oft sold you out or anything because that is exactly what they did.
I had Spectrum TV hooked up with all the extras incl. a phone line and within 24 hrs I realized I needed to turn the phone's ringer off just to stop all the unwanted spammer calls. This was a brand new # that nobody had, no one. The CA DMV sells all driver data every year to the tune of ~$50,000,000.
My roommate rcvd an email from a purportedly "Neighborhood" ap to 'get to know' your neighbors as well as provide extra security and what not via that same address. We started getting so many ridiculously useless emails that I actually deleted the acct just to get rid of it. The whole 'neighborhood' scam is an amazon ruse to get on everybodies pc's like a skank virus.
I have 3 email addresses. All disposable. I subscribe to nothing (ocforums is the exception) and the few mailing lists I'm on are small reputable enterprises. If you use google, microsoft, yahoo, amazon, facebook, rest assured you will be spammed. AOL is famous for the free dialup with a free email acct., all at no charge.

Last edited:
Time to break out the tinfoil hats boys.

Every number in the USA gets spam calls almost every day, the spam callers don't use a list, they randomly generate phone numbers based on area codes. We have side numbers at work that literally no one has ever used to make a single call out of, all new numbers, they get spam calls almost daily, and have for about 3 years since we had them installed.

My wife uses an outlook email account and doesn't get anything other than what she should be getting, she doesnt use it to sign up for anything only person to person emails, or receiving information for bills or paperwork and stuff.

He's using outlook live email which is not provided via an ISP.

But if he is also using another account that is provided by an ISP, say Xfinity/Comcast, and mail is being forwarded to his Outlook Live account from his ISP account then problems with the ISP filters would still impact him.

Back