• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

too much for a Swiftech MCP655

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brwnfldl

Registered
does this pump have the balls for cpu,northbridge,and mosfet block, then later adding a 4870 block , should this be divided into two circuits two smaller rads 2 pumps? or will a quad 120 be enough? 90% oc'd e6300

Attachments

• puk.JPG
    puk.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 461
  • 4870.JPG
    4870.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 454
  • cp.JPG
    cp.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 449
  • nb.JPG
    nb.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 460
  • mosfet.JPG
    mosfet.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 457
I am familiar with all the blocks you propose to use with the exception of the mosfet block and all are low to moderate restriction blocks. Assuming that the mosfet block is low to moderate restriction, your pump choice should work just fine. One change you might consider though is a Feser X-Changer 480 instead of the BI GTX480 since it will work better with low to moderate cfm fans so you can keep your new loop quiet without compromising performance. And the X-Changer 480 isn't that much more than the GTX480.

And I would recommend buying some high flow metal barbs for the MCW30 instead of using the plastic ones that come with it. I just don't trust plastic barbs. ;)

Yes, the pump will be plenty for all those blocks. I also agree about the Feser Quad radiator over the GTX.

Yes, the pump will be plenty for all those blocks. I also agree about the Feser Quad radiator over the GTX.

that gtx 480 will work just fine. dont know y everyone puts the fessar out there like that. they act like gtx are crap. GTX series rads is all i use. from the 120, 240, 360, now the 480

i run the same pump, on my loop at setting 1.

i use a gtx480 and it cools just fine with all my fans at a low 900rpm.
idle/load cpu
32/45c(prime) 51C(IBT)

GTX isn't crap, it just uses different* fans than the feser (seriously, why the hell do i always spell "different" as "diffrent"?!?!?!)

that gtx 480 will work just fine. dont know y everyone puts the fessar out there like that. they act like gtx are crap. GTX series rads is all i use. from the 120, 240, 360, now the 480

idle/load cpu
32/45c(prime) 51C(IBT)

Mainly it's because it's a better choice than the GTX for quiet cooling. The GTX uses a finer fin density which has the disadvantage of needing a higher static air pressure to move air through than the Feser (or TC or Swifty rads) and it also can clog with lint and other undesirables easier due to the higher FPI. The advantage the GTX has is more square inches of fin area for a given size rad, so if you can move the air through effectively it will cool better. In this particular case (GTX480 vs Feser X-Changer 480) the price difference is only $20 between the 2, giving the OP a choice of which way he wants to go on rad choices. But you notice that I never called the GTX line "crap" radiators, because they're not.

idle/load cpu
32/45c(prime) 51C(IBT)

My guess is if you put those low speed fans on a Feser quad, it would cool more effectively. The reason Feser is more popular and in my opinion better is that they work very well with low speed fans. The GTX is very good with very high speed fans, but it is usually more desirable to be able to use low speed fans when at all possible.

I watercooled for low noise and good temps. Many do. Many don't do the research about rads to start with and see the retail bling comments about the GTX and buy it, not knowing the diff between a GTX, VW, GM, TFC, TC, or MCR.

If you want good cooling and low noise, you buy xx. If for some odd reason you want good cooling and loud noise, buy xx.

If space isn't an issue, why not grab a pair of MCR 320's and run them in series. Would give you BETTER cooling than a single 480 and save you $40+.

Axis

If space isn't an issue, why not grab a pair of MCR 320's and run them in series. Would give you BETTER cooling than a single 480 and save you $40+.

Axis

second that... thats what i hope to do :) well since i got that D4 for 30 then separate loops but still 2 MCR320's.

i understand the whole concept on wich rads are for high/low speed fans. IMO i dont think there is a diffrence in temps if u use the same low speed fans on any of those rads. but hey, thats my 2 cents. to each there own.

@muddocktor

never said u called it crap =), lately on a couple forums i've been at are basically throwing GTX under the bus like they where crap.

How do the heatercores match up to these 480 rads? Looking at the price, i find them hard to justify, hence why i didnt buy one. I've got one of the bonny cores, and i've run this passive with just the cpu and never seen my water temps go above 35 from a 22c ambient and ~250w of heat going into the loop. With the 2 san aces, i have alot of trouble bringing the water above 24c. If you can find the cores, im not sure if anyone sells them in stores, but for the price i got mine, i could have 6 of these cores for the price of 1 of those rads...

What are you guys cooling, a nuclear reactor?

Cant say for sure but double check that 4870 cooler.

Pics show coling for Core, and heatipped cooling for VRMs, but leaves the FETS naked and open

either going to need sinks and air blowing... or (unless that cooler is dirt cheap) get a FC block.

Back