• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Too Stay Single Core 4000+ or Upgrade To 4200 X2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-183-AM&groupid=701&catid=6&subcat=567

Prices for 939 X2's have plummeted lately on OC.co.uk and I was thinking of just getting a dual core as I don't plan to upgrade for another 2 years. I moved from AMD 2500+ barton SkA and this 939 system is only 3 months old so will moving up be a better move I don't normally game (XBOX 360 for that) and I very rarely use DVD Shrink. But I do use Nero to make my own DVD's but even with my SC 4000+ that usually takes 25mins to fully complete and 13mins to burn to DVD.

Just wondering how much would I get for my 4000+ SC it's running great to be honest it's a difficult decision really. Save money and stay SC or just go for it and pay the dam £65 and move upto X2 would be the same cache in theory 1mb split to both cores but an extra core it a bonus.

But I was also thinking of upgrading to a 7600GT as my 6600GT I have a friend who's interested in buying off me.

I'd say upgrade the video card instead of the chip. If you really want to upgrade the chip, i recommend making the jump to AM2 with a dual core.

I was going to make the jump to C2D, but decided not to. I weighed out the pros and cons and found I have nothing that will utilize a dual core. Did'nt seem feasable to me to spend the extra $$ for a few more Mhz over what i currently have. I already see the C2D's are dropping like flies, which was just a flash in the pan. I'm glad i did'nt make the jump.

Save the money, stay single core unless there's a real need for the dual core. My vote goes to upgrading the video card :)

By the time you decide to make a dual core jump, the quad cores will have reduced in price, which will be a more beneficial upgrade.

I was asking myself the same question recently. I am in the same boat with roughly the same specs. My 4000 sandy is still happily chugging along at 2.8 ghz. I have noticed all the price drops lately. But the price on DDR2 is dropping even faster. So my plan is to hold of for about 6 months and go for an AM2 build. By the the X2 6000 should come down in price a little and there should be a few more options.

I argree with the two responses above. The extra core is not worth swapping out a Sandy, it's an awesome chip. If you go to AM2 then it would justify the switch but not a 4200. Go for the Vid card and get in on some goodies at the end of the year.

In all actuality I would keep everything you have until you can upgrade everything at once.. Id say by christmas you should be able to pick up a nice deal on a 8800.. and maybe a dual core too. Just depends really on your priority.

If you don't game much why bother upgrading the video card? If you're doing enough DVD creation that saving time matters, i.e. you do it to make money, (first make sure your software is SMP capable) go for the dual core.

I make money on DVD's but it's just creating one's for Rugby matches that we record of TV a few of my fathers friends support the same team. And he's told them that we have all the game off TV to they all want them too I have also got requests to create DVD's by taken off video of camcorders.

I just thought about the X2 I was thinking of building another system after XMAS maybe waiting on what AMD has to offer next. But if all else fails a AM2 X2 system would be it but I have being keeping an eye on AM3.

Back