• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Touble using Windows xp ISO image to make bootable dvd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gid

Registered
Trouble using Windows XP ISO image to make bootable dvd

So I built a system of all brand new parts:

i3 530
EVGA P55 LE
GTX 460
WD 15k velociraptor 300 Gig
2X2G G Skill Ripjaws
Thermaltake 750 W
OEM Asus Optical drive (unsure on model)

And my Windows XP disc is not working. After trying to remove some RAM, someone mentioned in another thread that my pre-service pack XP disc is probably not recognizing my new hardware. So I downloaded an iso image of Windows XP that includes SP1-3 through my University. I also downloaded BurnAware and used it to create and burn the disc.

I have no problem burning the iso to disk as a data disc (which does nothing when I try to use it), however I run into trouble when I try to burn a boot disk.

These are the steps that I am taking:

1. Select "Make Boot Iso"
2. Successfully create and save a Boot ISO from the downloaded ISO.
3. Select the option to burn a boot disk.
4. Add the boot disk .iso file I created and hit the "burn" button.
5. I then get a prompt that says "Please specify boot image file in Options>Boot."

When I go there and hit browse to select an .img or .ima I have no idea where to go or what to look for. I did a search and found websites talking about creating boot image files but they all seemed to be giving instructions on creating a boot disk using an already installed OS or for a bios flash - not from an already created iso as far as I could tell so I can't see what is relevant and what is not.

Using ISO Master I am able to examine the ISO and everything looks pretty straightforward internally but I am unable to readilly see any .img or .ima files although I admittedly only gave a cursory lookover.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Also, as a side note, the boot settings are set to "automatic." Please let me know if these might need to be adjusted:

emulation type: Floppy emulation 1.44mb
platform: 80 X 86
Sectors: 1
Load Segment: 1984
Boot Message: Burnaware Boot Loader

Thanks for all your help!

When I go there and hit browse to select an .img or .ima I have no idea where to go or what to look for

When you get to this part just go to where you have the downloaded iso and burn as bootable disk.

If still having trouble try ImgBurn - Download imgBurn 2.5.1.0

ImgBurn is a lightweight CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-ray burning application that everyone should have in their toolkit!

It has several 'Modes', each one for performing a different task:

Read - Read a disc to an image file
Build - Create an image file from files on your computer or network - or you can write the files directly to a disc
Write - Write an image file to a disc
Verify - Check a disc is 100% readable. Optionally, you can also have ImgBurn compare it against a given image file to ensure the actual data is correct
Discovery - Put your drive / media to the test! Used in combination with DVDInfoPro, you can check the quality of the burns your drive is producing

Hi and thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately the iso file is already added when I hit burn. When I go to the Options>Boot section, the iso is not even selectable because it is only searching for .img and .ima file types and will not let me select any other file types.

I also tried that software you link but when I tried to convert the iso file to an img file it says that it's already an image file because it is an iso....

you just burn the iso straight to disk, even if you double click on the iso and have imgBurn installed it will burn to disk nothing more to do but sit back and wait for disk burning to finish

Hi, the same thing happened as before when I burned the iso with burnaware. It burned the iso onto the disk, but it would not boot from the disk.

However, I just found a YouTube video for using ImgBurn to create a bootable disk and there was instruction on how to check the description to see if the ISO was bootable. Ironically, when I used BurnAware to make a boot ISO it made the image non-bootable. :screwy: I went back to the original ISO I downloaded and checked it in ImgBurn and sure enough, that one WAS bootable. Windows is installing on the other system as we speak.

Thanks so much for your help. you've ended three long days of frustration and google fatigue! :attn:

Windows XP will only work if your BIOS is not set to AHCI or RAID, unless you use nLite to integrate AHCI drivers into the WinXP installation.

Hi, the same thing happened as before when I burned the iso with burnaware. It burned the iso onto the disk, but it would not boot from the disk.

However, I just found a YouTube video for using ImgBurn to create a bootable disk and there was instruction on how to check the description to see if the ISO was bootable. Ironically, when I used BurnAware to make a boot ISO it made the image non-bootable. :screwy: I went back to the original ISO I downloaded and checked it in ImgBurn and sure enough, that one WAS bootable. Windows is installing on the other system as we speak.

Thanks so much for your help. you've ended three long days of frustration and google fatigue! :attn:

Obviously, the burn tool you used before didn't help you .

Back