• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TR 3990X socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaPoets

Is it going to use the same socket as the 3960X & 3970X?

Yes I just got the 3960X and knowing myself, if the 3990X comes out able to fit in this same socket I'm going to want to get it. I knew that if I got the 3970X I wouldn't bother wanting the 3990X but the 3970X just won't come in stock anywhere and I've only seen it at Microcenter stores on the other side of the country and not my Los Angeles store where I got the 3960X. If my LA store does get the 3970X in stock while I'm inside my 15 day return window then I'll swap it out for my 3960X and call it a year, but if not... Then yeah.... 3990X if socket compatible here I come.

AFAIK, yes. It is a threadripper. I don't recall splitting of the HEDT segment on sockets recently...especially by AMD.

All 19xxX and 29xxX use socket sTR4, the 3960X, 3970X and 3990X all use socket sTRX4.

ooops, changed :)

Last edited:
I guess the 3990X is a high-TDP-Verion of the currently used server CPU EPYC 7742 with same amount of cores. Pretty impressive stuff but one is for sure: Those CPUs are not only huge, it will need the sTRX4-Socket because the other sockets will simply become insufficient.

Here, it will support 64 cores on a desktop PC, stuff to crazy to be true, yet still true: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6869...re-proof-supports-64c-128t-desktop/index.html

I guess the 3990X is a high-TDP-Verion of the currently used server CPU EPYC 7742 with same amount of cores. Pretty impressive stuff but one is for sure: Those CPUs are not only huge, it will need the sTRX4-Socket because the other sockets will simply become insufficient.

Here, it will support 64 cores on a desktop PC, stuff to crazy to be true, yet still true: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/6869...re-proof-supports-64c-128t-desktop/index.html

yeah that was an old article and a few tech youtubers like Buildzoid and some others have more recently aid that the 3990X most likely won't be on this socket so who knows right now. It's all speculation until AMD actually releases some solid info. As I have the 3970X now, I won't have a desire to go for the 3990X anytime soon.

Well, regardless of whatever socket it uses, that's too rich for my blood.

$4k for the thing. While, comparatively it's an awesome chip...this falls into the bucket of showing off.

Is this a fight in 2020 between AMD and Intel??

**AMD's TR- 3960x (24c/48t), 3970x (32c/64t), {3980x (48c/96t) }, and the 3990x (64c/128t)
AGAINST
**Intel's top W-3175x (28c/54t) or whatever they my be called in 2020 was released 1yr ago. Will this even compete against AMD's TR-3's ???
^ From what I could find, was dated before the TR-3's. (no youtube) The CPU was $4k and the MB was $1.5k-$2k.

- Intel is now having to sell CPU's at a cut rate price to compete :thup:
- AMD now has a better CPU and can charge $$ for it. AMD starts making money again :plus1:

Funny how I started this thread w/ a question and ended up getting my answer straight from the horses mouth at CES!
AMD 64 Cores.jpg

Back