• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Triple Monitor R7 250 with Dell Monitors and DisplayPort

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rakshasas

Hello, I am trying to put together a new workstation and I've run into an issue with my triple monitor setup. I am working with a brand new Dell Optiplex 9020, which has an R7 250 GPU. I have two U2414H monitors which came with the order as well. The first monitor I plugged into the GPU using the mini DP port and the second monitor is daisy chained of the DisplayPort. The two of them work fine once I enabled DisplayPort 1.2 on the monitors.

I took an older P2210 monitor, which has a DisplayPort as well and added it to the daisy chain. I was sure to make sure DisplayPort 1.2 was enabled on both the U2414H monitors.

AMD Catalyst detects all three monitors but I can't seem to extend the desktop to the third one. It asks me to disable a monitor before I can continue. I'm under the impression that my video card is capable of having four monitors extended at the same time, and using DisplayPort is how to accomplish this.

I even unplugged the P2210 and used the DVI connection and it was no different. Why can't I do this?

What model of R7 250? It seems that some support 2 and some support 3 monitors.

I'm not 100% sure. It has 1 DP and 1 DVI port and is a 2048 MB card. PCI E 3.0. Apparently it's DD3 which surprises me.

It came from Dell but I can't really find a part with the same specifications as what is detected by the Catalyst drivers.

There's only a select few that support 3 monitors, so I'd say yours is the 2 monitor version.

If it's a system with integrated graphics on the CPU or motherboard, try using that for the third monitor.

That means my ability to research is subpar to horrible. I recall looking into R7 250 to make sure this wouldn't be a problem and found that it could do 4. Clearly I misunderstood.
I enabled the onboard GPU and I have my third monitor going that way as you suggested.

I appreciate your help.

Back