• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble installing stripped isos (xp, 7x86)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

Spent the last couple of days trying to get stripped versions of XP and Win7x86 to install. So far no luck so thought I'd ask here.

The images I'm trying to use include:
- TinyXP
- WinLite
- Windows.Tiny7.Unattended
- MicroXP

As an example, with the XP isos...I've tried using a freeware tool named Novicorp WinToFlash. With some images, wintoflash seems to work fine but on others it gives the error below. Even for the images that do seem to work, when I go to actually install the os, the system still throws the session3 error.

Hey funsoul just got Xp installed i used the v11.2.0.1006 achi drivers from this link http://www.win-raid.com/t2f23-Intel-R-RST-RSTe-Drivers-actual-v-WHQL-v-WHQL.html it stop the Bsod x7f for not having the the achi driver and it stoped the session3 installion error when using achi driver from Intel site It didn't install it but i guess it sees it so it doesn't throw out the Stop error but to install Xp you still have to set the drive to ide then when it's finished install the driver then you can go into the bios and set to achi

Tried putting the intel drivers on a separate usb drive but the xp install keeps insisting on a floppy and refuses to 'see' the drivers on the separate drive (both usb drives show up in bios so I know the system can see them both). Then tried using nLite to slipstream the intel drivers into the xp iso. After extracting the iso (using the same usb drive that was written with win2flash)...see below for what I tried. Trying the new image results in the same session3 error.

Arghhh....what the heck?!? I know there are a number of folks that have these images working without issue.

Hoping someone can help. I'm not even sure what to try next :( I'm trying to get things going on a mve/2600k setup using regular sata drives (not in raid). The drives are set to IDE mode in the bios.

tia!

Attachments

• win2flash1.jpg
    win2flash1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 188
  • win2flash2.jpg
    win2flash2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 188
  • win2flash3.jpg
    win2flash3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 184
  • nlite1.jpg
    nlite1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 185
  • nlite2.jpg
    nlite2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 166
  • nlite3.jpg
    nlite3.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 176
  • nlite4.jpg
    nlite4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 181
  • nlite6.jpg
    nlite6.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 177
I haven't done any nlite in a long time, but I think I just put the drivers for my motherboard, downloaded directly from mobo manufacturer's site.
It looks like you are trying to use the more generic ones packaged with nlite?

hey x

Am using the intel drivers that worked for QuickFast.

Is there a step-by-step guide on how to get this done? Tried everything I could find :/

There might be a guide in the benching area, I am unsure. It has been a long time since I have done any of that.

Have you tried installing from dvd/cd instead of flash drive? Not sure why it would matter, but worth a shot

Funsoul when I install miroxp I used a dvd sorry I didn't mention that but I just re installed xp from a usb using http://www.winsetupfromusb.com/ first you have to extract the files from the ISO then open winsetupfromusb the only thing I changed was the format from fat32 to ntfs then check the windows 2000\xp\2003 setup then point to the files you extracted then press the go button and I was able to leave the drives set to ahci when it boots up on the first screen hit enter to get to the next screen scroll down to were it says first part of setup then hit enter it will load the windows files then it restarts go back to the second screen scroll down to second part of setup then windows will load

I forgot to tell you that the drivers are already slipstream into the microXp ISO don't know if you were trying to slipstream them again

Have you tried installing from dvd/cd instead of flash drive? Not sure why it would matter, but worth a shot
Newp...haven't tried that as the vistax86 and win7x64 isos worked np on usb drives.

Funsoul when I install miroxp I used a dvd sorry I didn't mention that but I just re installed xp from a usb using http://www.winsetupfromusb.com/ first you have to extract the files from the ISO then open winsetupfromusb the only thing I changed was the format from fat32 to ntfs then check the windows 2000\xp\2003 setup then point to the files you extracted then press the go button and I was able to leave the drives set to ahci when it boots up on the first screen hit enter to get to the next screen scroll down to were it says first part of setup then hit enter it will load the windows files then it restarts go back to the second screen scroll down to second part of setup then windows will load

I forgot to tell you that the drivers are already slipstream into the microXp ISO don't know if you were trying to slipstream them again
Thanks QuickFast! Will try your usb method tonight. If it fails, will try installing from dvd.

Saw this post when I woke up so I figured when i got home form work I would try to install MicroXp form a usb I figured if it worked on a dvd it should work on a usb so i tried rufus and winToboot both fail so i went on a mission to find something that did

good luck man hope it works out

Use HP USB format tool before using wintoflash, I had trouble installing from USB until I formatted with this tool, I would link but I'm mobile, google will know ;)

Also I used the dvd to copy the windows files to flash,as it would fail if I was just using the immage file

Thanks QuickFast and keny!

Not sure if I'll have time to bench over the next couple days but will give things a try and report back here.

Thanks again!!! Hopefully this ends the iso misery hehe

Found the workaround for how to make the XP install see the usb drive as a normal cd drive. Can't copy from the manual atm but it's in the Maximus V Extreme manual, section 5.2.4 "Using a USB floppy disk drive". As/when I get copy from the pdf will post the instructions here. Should apply to most other mobos, too.

Well I don't know about this Tiny, Micro or whatever WinXP, but whoever is reading this thread and wants to install regular WinXP, for reference,

Integrate included AHCI drivers into Windows XP Installation CD using nLite. Unzip and read attachment to this post. Then simply use WinToFlash and on the boot menu, SELECT: 1st, text mode setup
http://wintoflash.com/download/en/

Attachments

• nLite 1.4.9.3.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 70
Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winnah!

Waterheater went this weekend so that took me a bit off course.

Tried repeatedly to get xp and 7x86 installed via usb but neither os would cooperate. Got real frustrated and almost bailed but then remembered Janus67's thought. Took me an hour to find a couple blank disks but burned the isos to disks, hooked up a dvd drive to the setup and bang....both installed without problems! wooohoo!!!

Now...going a bit OT...have set up xp, vista x86, 7x86 and 7x64 on a single sata drive (using easybcd) and made a full backup using acronis. What I'd like to do is:
1) using an identical sata drive, clone the loaded drive to the empty one so I've got 2 drives with the 4, loaded operating systems
2) I'd love to hook up 4x ssd in raid0 then 'copy' the quad-boot setup to the raid array

Think I know how to do #1....worst case...install the empty sata drive then run acronis and select to 'recover' using the existing backup file. Seem to recall acronis having a 'clone drive' option but don't have it in front of me atm.

Item 2 seems a bit harder? On my board (mve), the only raid-able ports are the intel ones. Two of the intel ports are sata2 while the other 2 are sata3. Can I just plug the current (loaded) drive into one of the non-intel ports then install 4 ssd's into the 4 intel ports, setup the raid array and do either a clone drive or restore from the main image?

Guess another question is whether I'm fine making 1 large acronis backup or whether I should make a backup of each os/partition by itself?

Sorry for rambling but just want to try to finish setting everything up so I can get back to some benching action.

tia!!

If this is for benching, I wouldnt use a raid 0. too much instability and crashing you will be having os issues, i think.

If this is for benching, I wouldnt use a raid 0. too much instability and crashing you will be having os issues, i think.

That's why I'm (finally) taking the time to hopefully do this right this time around. Shooting for 2 identical hardrives with installed, stripped, fully loaded o/s' (including all drivers, apps, etc) plus a ssd raid0 array with the same (for those apps that are hardrive intensive...more than just pcm5).

Have (atm) one full backup image of the 1st h/d (with the 4 partitions) that I can use on the 2nd drive and ssd array so as/when an o/s is thrashed can just re-load the clean image and be back up and benching in about 15 minutes.

Once I finish getting XP set up (see below for the current issues), will make a new (incremental) backup of the drive then clone it to another (identical) drive. Once that's done will get the raid0 array working on all the operating systems then clone the 4 partition setup to the array.

OK...so...right now have a few issues to clear up so I can finish all the setup stuff.

1) XP- Wow...having a tough time getting all the drivers installed. Not at home so don't have a screenie (will post one tonight if I don't get it all figured out). Have a whole bunch of 'audio device' items which are missing drivers per device manager. The audio drivers seemed to install without issue but device manager is still showing them as not being there (and xp can't find them when I select to search the usb drive with all the drivers). Also have unresolved entries for the intel usb hubs. Another weird issue is that in nvidia's control panel...when I set it up for sli (am running 4x gtx580's) it's only showing gpu1 and gpu2 as being part of the sli. However....in gpu-z and device manager it's showing all 4 vga cards. Is this a limitation of xp? Are all 4 cards actually working in sli or? Anyone know how to get all 4 cards properly set up in sli under xp?

2) ssd raid- Not sure which sata ports to use for this. On the mve...there are 4 asmedia ports but afaik they don't support raid. There are also 2 intel sata3 ports and 2 intel sata2 ports. I've got 4 60gig ssds. Can I (should I) just connect all 4 ssd's to the intel ports 1-4 or should I think about using a pair of 120gig ssds instead and just use the 2 intel sata3 ports? Haven't tried it yet but assuming/thinking that 7 and vista should be np to get the raid working but what about xp? Should it just work if I boot into xp and install intel irst? Pretty sure that once I get the array working on all 4 operating systems that I'll be able to clone the array from the 'master drive' the same way as cloning the 2nd hardrive (boot to acronis and do the clone outside of windows).

Thoughts, comments, guidance, tips, etc very welcome as always! Would like to get (finally) finished with setting everything up tonight so am ready to start benching again on Friday or Saturday.

tia (again)!!!

If you wanted to do RAID0 I would just do the two drives and put them in the Intel SATA6gb/s ports. Odds of corrupting an OS or drive increases the more drives you have. Using 4 just seems too risky unless you are using a RAID card and pretty much only benching those HDD-intense benches.

Why are you installing all of the drivers? The only drivers to install should be chipset and video (and storage if necessary). Most stripped XP copies I thought had audio/etc disabled. I always disabled all of the non-used things in BIOS so it didn't even try.

Morning Janus67!

Yeah...will go 2x ssds on the intel sata3 ports. As long as I've got all my backup images done correctly am honestly not too concerned with array corruption since I'll be able to restore/reload the image in less time than it takes me to knock out a honeydo.

Dunno why I felt the need to get all the drivers installed. If it doesn't matter I'll skip getting the remaining ones working.

Any idea on my xp sli issue? All 4 cards show up in device manager and gpu-z but nv cp shows all 4 cards but it's only got 2 of the 4 cards running in sli.

No idea on that one sorry, may have to try reinstalling the video drivers. I've never done more than two cards at once, but I would guess you can do more than 2 (check hwbot for xp submissions of 3dm01 for example).

Ewww...http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3138/~/sli-support-in-windows-xp
SLI Support in Windows XP
Answer ID 3138 | Published 07/18/2012 08:19 AM | Updated 07/18/2012 08:38 AM
The following SLI features are not supported on Windows XP:
• Geforce GTX 680, 670 SLI
• Quad SLI technology using GeForce GTX 590, GeForce 9800 GX2 or GeForce GTX 295
• 3-way SLI technology
• Hybrid SLI
• SLI multi-monitor support

Since it says no 3-way am pretty sure that also means no 4-way (it also won't work for my 295's *groan*).

Unless I can find a workaround....looks like I'll need to figure out the 2nd best os for those 3dmarks that are generally best under XP :( Did a little hwbot searching and (after spot-checking about 10 results) didn't see any quad-sli 3dm01 subs that look like XP.

Anyone have ideas?

Back