• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble overclocking Phenom II x4 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

person66

So, I upgraded my computer recently, and one of the new parts was a Phenom II x4 965 BE processor. The problem is, I can't seem to get much of an overclock from it. Its stock speed is 3.4 GHz, and the highest I can seem to get it is 3.6 (I have been adjusting the multiplier, not the FSB)

Whenever I go higher, I can run Prime95 for a few minutes, and then it will just close itself, and windows will become all buggy and unstable until I reboot (I have never gotten a BSOD from it, though). I have tried putting the voltage up to 1.475 in the BIOS (although CPU-Z reads it as 1.45, and it reads 1.45 as 1.425, 1.425 as 1.4, and so on and so on). 3.6 GHz seems stable at 1.425 (1.4 according to CPU-Z).

Temps are kind of high (high 30s, low 40s while idling) but CPUTIN has never gone above 58 C on full load, and the core temps have never gone above 54 C.

On a side note, neither AMD cool 'n quiet or C1E seem to work (although I disable them anyway when trying to overclock), no matter what, the multipliers, voltage, and FSB speed always stay the same.

So, can anyone help, please?

If in Windows Control Panel Power Options you have configured it to the High Performance option then that may disable Cool N Quiet, etc. in Windows anyway.

Would you please install and run CPU-z and then attach pics of these three tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD".

To attach pics, first crop and save the images to disk with Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories. Then click on the Go Advanced button at the bottom of any new post Window. At the top of the Advanced post window, click on the little paperclip icon and that will bring up the file browser/uploader tool. The rest is obvious.

Some questions:

1. What motherboard are you using? What is the TDP of the board?
2. What CPU cooler are you using? Stock or an aftermarket goody and if the latter what make and model?
3. Why is your HT Link frequency so low? Its at 1600 when stock is 2000 mhz.
4. Why is your DRAM frequency so low? Your ram is rated for 1333 mhz and yet you are running it at 800 mhz.
5. Are you using some Automatic overclocking genie in bios or some Windows program to overclock?

My motherboard is an ASRock 760GM-GS3. I have no clue why those frequencies are low. I just left those settings alone in the BIOS, assuming it would have them at the proper values. Could they be the problem? As for overclocking, I am doing it manually through the BIOS.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=760GM-GS3

Notice there are no 140 watt CPUs on that CPU support list.

I suspect the real problem may be that the board is rated for a max TDP (Total Design Power) of 125 watts which your CPU generates at stock frequencies and voltages. When you begin to increase frequencies and voltages the CPU sucks more juice and overwhelms the board's chip set and power circuitry. This CPU is not a good match for this motherboard when overclocking.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=760GM-GS3

Notice there are no 140 watt CPUs on that CPU support list.

I suspect the real problem may be that the board is rated for a max TDP (Total Design Power) of 125 watts which your CPU generates at stock frequencies and voltages. When you begin to increase frequencies and voltages the CPU sucks more juice and overwhelms the board's chip set and power circuitry. This CPU is not a good match for this motherboard when overclocking.

I had this problem just the other week. It sucks for sure. No overclock worked unless it was stock voltages.

Now it would need to be said that there are 125W TDP boards out there that would allow you to do some moderate overclocking of that CPU but the ASRock 760GM-GS3 is probably not one of them. To begin with, it's a micro ATX board with a low end chipset and a puny NB heat sink.

person66, try these changes:

1. Make sure the Overclock Mode is set to Manual
2. Put the NB Frequency Multiplier at 10x
3. The HT Bus Speed is already at 8x and won't go any higher. This is a limitation of your chipset.
4. Put the Memory Clock at 1333 mhz
5. Put the DRAM Voltage at 1.525 or 1.55 if you don't have fine increments of adjustment
6.Go into Bios and disable Cool N Quiet and C1E.
7. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance.

Then start your overclocking from scratch. Put the Multiplier/Voltage change to Auto. Take note of what voltage Auto gives you in CPU-z "CPU" tab.

Run Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes with these settings and see if you pass. Have HWMonitor open on the desktop while you run Prime and take note of max core temps and CPUTIN temps.

If you pass the Prime95 test, take Multiplier/Voltatage change off of Auto and put it on Manual. Then raise the CPU Frequency multiplier .5x and rerun the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes while monitoring core/CPUTIN temps with HWMonitor. If either the core temps or the CPUTIN temps exceed 65c, discontinue the test. See how high you can get the multiplier and still pass the Prime 20 minute test without raising your CPU voltage.

Post back tomorrow with results.

Attachments

• ASRock2.JPG
    ASRock2.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 423
OK trents, thanks for the help, I will try that later. I just want to point out though, that the HT is definitely not capped at 8x. My BIOS lets me set it up to whatever multiplier the northbridge is set at:

I didn't see it in the online manual but if you have the ability to change the NB voltage, bump it up to 1.225.

Back