• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TRUE 120 on an LGA 1150???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M Diddy

Hey all.

It's been a few years since I've been on here asking any questions, but, I have one now.

In the process of upgrading my rig, and just picked up an i7-4770k along with a GB GA-Z87X-UD4H.

Is the TRUE120 still a viable air cooler? It's worked great on my Q6600 for the past 6 years and I'd like to keep it if it'll work on my new board. Any insight if I can pick up some type of adapter to keep using it? Or will I have to pony up and buy something new? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Yes the True 120 is still one of the better heatsinks out there, not the best but it should still get you decent overclocks.

As far as it being able to be mounted to the 1150 socket I don't know.

Does 1150 use the same mounting as 1155/1156? If so there is mounting available and yes it's still a viable cooling solution, I have my 3770k at 4.5 under one.

Yeah, I'm still using the copper TRUE120 on my rig if I was going to do something on air myself these days Id go this route if you have the room.

Had considered getting one to mess with here, but think I'll leave things alone.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

My sister-in-laws room mate still uses my old Q6600 SLCKR I used to have OC'd to 4.0, those were always great freaking chips.

As far as mounting I'm not sure, heh the one I use now for years is kinda custo to begin with I think I used about 3 different mounting systems at the time and created my own.

Last edited:
Up and running and working great!

Got the kit yesterday and installed the new parts. Back plate fit great and no issues at all mounting the TRUE120 on there.

Got the PC booted up, re-installed Windows, and then tweaked the multi on the 4770. Running at 4.4 Ghz on stock volts with idle temps around 28 C according to CoreTemp.

Amazing the cooler still works so well after so many years. TR hit it out of the park with this one.

Yep, I'm on my third platform with mine and see no reason to replace it unless I decide to go full out water cooling.

Now that I think about it it may be the oldest piece of hardware in my case right now

TRUE with 1156 mounting kit is working fine for me on 1155/1150 boards. I actually got it for 775 couple of years ago and it's my only non stock/box air cooler since then ;) Even though I've dropped it couple of times and it doesn't look so good, it still works fine and is better than most of these new coolers.

it still works fine and is better than most of these new coolers.
Indeed!

I always see the TRUE popping up on Ebay for really good prices, last one I saw was a Ultra extreme black it went for $15.00 shipped can't beat it for that price! I also tested my True against my CM 212 + on my 2500k Oced to 4.7 and the True was 10c cooler then the 212 using the exact same fans.

Got the kit yesterday and installed the new parts. Back plate fit great and no issues at all mounting the TRUE120 on there.

Got the PC booted up, re-installed Windows, and then tweaked the multi on the 4770. Running at 4.4 Ghz on stock volts with idle temps around 28 C according to CoreTemp.

Amazing the cooler still works so well after so many years. TR hit it out of the park with this one.

Glad to see it's working out for you. One thing, though: see if you can run the most recent Linpack with AVX2. You may have to disable HT to get it to run. AVX2 really can make your machine run hotter. With Linpack/AVX2 I had to scale my OC back to 4.3GHz to get my temps in line.

Last edited:

Did the capacitors fit under the bracket when you mounted the Venomous X BTK II
I was thinking of using it on this board.

Attachments

• 13-128-618-06.jpg
    13-128-618-06.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,018

Stock volts? That's a big claim? for 4.4ghz o.o

Fully prime95 tested?

Cool stuff yeah been using this copper one here a long time now :)

:salute:

Did the capacitors fit under the bracket when you mounted the Venomous X BTK II
I was thinking of using it on this board.

They did indeed. The bracket is raised just enough that they clear the caps and allow for mounting with no issue, at least on my board. Yours should be no different from what I can see.

Back