• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TRUE Black 120 enough for i5 2500k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathAngelLST

I'm wondering because I'm on a tight budget to switch to the i5 and it would royally suck if I had to buy another $100+ cooler; still looking for that damn adaptor. Is it enough to keep temps below 60ºC at load? Current rig on sig.

Actual temps depend on ambient/case temps, CPU clocks, core voltage, the specific chip, etc. However, the TRUE is definitely good enough to handle an i5 2500K.

During summer the TRUE 120 has kept my C2Q 8400 at 60ºC tops at load when ambient temp is 30ºC+. Considering they have the same TDP and the i5 has a lower voltage I thought it should be enough... or not?

Like Matt said, temps depend on a lot of variables. But the TRUE is still better than 95% of the coolers on the market and 60 C max is unrealistically low for an overclocked Sandy Bridge for a max temp. I wouldn't worry about temps until the 75-80 range with an i5 2500K.

I run my original Thermalright Ultra 120 (the older brother of the TRUE) on my i7 2700k without issue... they are still damn good coolers

Back