• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

trying to setup VMUbuntu Folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Win7 is set to workgroup, password sharing off, still cant see it... maybe a reboot is in order? all my windows machines on the network are win7

Get the IP of the client (either check VMWare or do "ifconfig eth0" from a command line in the VM) and try to type that in "Computer" on Windows. If that works, try to open the share if it is listed there. If it gives you an error, what does it say?

If you can, post the contents of the SAMBA configuration file by typing "cat /etc/samba/smb.conf" and then copying it from the terminal.

Can you see the Windows shares from Ubuntu though? I've had the Ubuntu share show up in Win 7 after I "hit" it from ubuntu.

okay, well after doing above and rebooting, i can see it in the network as "ubuntu" but when i try to open it up it says:

"Windows cannot access \\ubuntu"
under details: error code 0x80070035 The network path not found

Use the IP instead of the computer name. For example, my server's name is "thid-server", but I use 192.168.0.xx to access it.

How are you typing the address in? It should be like this and the way the slashes go is very important.

\\192.168.xxx.xxx

Obviously, using the IP of the VM.

It sounds like you used //, which would open IE.

Great. You'll love the performance boost.

wow, nice... even at 4.2 (some new oc issues arose with this board) it's putting frame times at what i was get'n before with 4.4 with the windows client TPF (and i've been using my computer a bit while it got 3 frames down) is at 26:48 atm on 6901 :D

Thanks again for the help.. things are looking good :D

Code:
 Project ID: 6901
 Core: GRO-A5
 Credit: 8955
 Frames: 100

Name: Ubuntu_VM
 Path: \\192.168.2.109\FAH\
 Number of Frames Observed: 16

Min. Time / Frame : 00:25:31 - 47,780.5 PPD
 Avg. Time / Frame : 00:25:51 - 46,859.3 PPD
 Cur. Time / Frame : 00:25:48 - 46,507.1 PPD