• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tuniq TIM Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JKershner

Registered
I first contacted Tuniq requesting some thermal compound that I could review in comparison to my current application and was told that it would work perfectly for the system I was running and the temps I was getting by my previous application and sent me a tube of TX-2, TX-2 EXTREME and TX-4
Applying Tuniq compound was found to be easy to spread and control without using too much or needing to add more after spreading using the TIM Spreader which is included with the TX-4 syringe, highly durable card smaller then a credit card that doesn't bend.

TX-2

TX-2 was found to be a little bit on the liquid side and easy to spread but had to really watch as to where it went. I was a little concerned about what happened once it heated up under pressure and the chances of it running off the die. Luckily it's non-conductive but it doesn't look good pulling the cpu out and realizing there's thermal compound all over the pins.

Electrically conductive/capacitive:No
Burn-in Required:No
Appearance:Grey
Viscosity:285,000 cP
Thermal Conductivity:4.5 W/mK
Operating Temp:-45c to 200c
Specific Gravity:3.96 @ 25c
Tube Volume:3.5g

TX-2 EXTREME

TX-2 EXTREME was the next compound to be tested under a high temp environment and was found to be easier to apply with the Tuniq TIM Spreader and covered the entire cpu die. The grey color seemed to make it very easy to tell if it was spread evenly and a thurough layer was applied.

Viscosity:10,200 cP
Thermal Conductivity:5.8 W/mK
Operating Temp:-40c to 150c
Specific Gravity:2.55 @ 25c
Tube Volume:1ml

TX-4

TX-4 was highly spoken about from the representative and assured me that this would be difficult to beat. So, I left the best for last. Just as TX-2 EXTREME, TX-4 was found to be of a paste and very easy to control where it went when applying using it's included spreader. After performing the test of TX-4, the block had a good bond on the die and had to be carefully worked off by moving around to release the bond without pulling the cpu out of its socket.

Viscosity:66,200 cP
Thermal Conductivity:6.53 W/mK
Operating Temp:-45c to 160c
Tube Volume:1ml

TX-4 TX-2 EX TX-2 Standard
Ambient 22 20 22 22
Idle 25 25 26 27
Load 55 59 64 67

Conclusion:

Based on the performed tests; Tuniq TX-4 has performed better in all areas with a lower idle and load temp and would recommend overall, with a 4 degree between the top 5 thermal compounds rating it's more of a matter of personal choice.

*The "standard" compound used was some compound that was included with the cpu block of the Alphacool Watercooling kit.

Ambient temps were monitored by temp probes off the NZXT SENTRY2 fan controller, one probe was placed in ice water to determine that it was correctly calculated to 0c and another probe was mounted inches away from the front intake fan. The Compound was tested on an overclocked FX-6300 @ 4.8 GHZ. Core temps were monitored by Core Temp 1.0 RC4 64-bit with a T.J. Max of 95c.
All tests were done within an 8 hour period and both the cpu block and die was cleaned with rubbing alcohol to remove previously applied compound before conducting the next test.

Tuniq official website

Hardware Used
NZXT M59
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX-6300
Thermaltake 600w
AlphaCool Water kit w/ 120 rad
Dual DC-LT pumps
G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600(2x8GB)
AMD Entertainment Ed. 1600 (2x4GB)
EVGA 550ti 2GB​

Attachments

• tuniq.jpg
    tuniq.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Sorry, I'll edit so it's more visible but the TIM labeled as "standard" compound used was some compound that was included with the cpu block of the Alphacool Watercooling kit.

Back