• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tv vs actual monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cdyoung1985

So right now I have a 42" tv, with hdmi hooked to my comp, and have a few questions.... My gpu has the display port on it, and I've read the HDMI can only utilize 60 fps, but with display port can use more. My tv doesn't have a display port, wondering if I got an hdmi to display port if that would help, or if I would have to get an actual monitor instead... Also wondering if there is a limit on display port fps, and if it's worth the money I'd have to pay to get a good sized monitor, newegg was looking at over $300 for anything remotely comparable to the size of my tv... Anybody here?

Your tv won't run over 60Hz on HDMI most likely.

You could buy a DisplayPort to HDMI active adapter, but I wouldn't bother with it.

I think I'll look for a tv with a display port when I have the money, since that's what a monitor would use optimally anyway, and it isn't hard to find a 120hz tv, can go much higher with plasma, but plasma is more expensive to run, has much more glare, and something else negative, but I'm dead tired and can't hardly think, just got out of work and it's 7AM here lol

You gotta hook up with an HDMI cable dude. No HDMI to DP converters. DIfferent standards.
There are adapters to converter DP to HDMI but not the other way around. (Or at least they're very uncommon.)

HDMI can do 120Hz.

My tv is a 120hz, and I have a higher end hdmi cable, so I dunno lol. Think the brand is quickfish, something like that...

Probably RocketFish, generally a BestBuy brand. I wouldn't get caught up on "higher end" marketing, as a large majority of the cables are the exact same "quality" ;) (A lot of people pay for marketing, such as Monster Cables.... all marketing)

120Hz motion sense crap is not true 120Hz. There are tvs that CAN do 120Hz internally, but people see 120Hz advertised on the tv and on the box and think it's actually 120Hz. That's more marketing.

Here's a link for more info and explanation on seeing if your panel can do 120Hz.
http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/

At work I noticed that they dropped the Hz and started calling it CMR (clear motion rate). Which is some funky internal processing to fake out 120 Hz with out actually being 120 Hz

It looks like crap

Back