• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TYAN, Tiger MPX S2466

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dusnoetos

I just acquired a TYAN, Tiger MPX S2466 motherboard with 2 Athlon MP 2000+ (1.67)GHz CPUs.

First and for most: IS THIS A GOOD FIND???

Second: any ideas on how this MB/CPU"s would compare to a SUPER P4SBA+ motherboard with a Pentium 4 ?

(I am determining if the system works....If it does I will ask more Questions.....I have never had a Dual CPU system before....)

OK... now I am bummed and confused...

The Tyan system posts and can boot to a widows xp dsk.... I format the drive
it loads the initial files, reboots...gets to the windows startup screen and freezes.

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot???

Hmm thats a good one, maybe the version of windows your installing dosnt support dual cpu mobo's?? not shure havnt played with server boards much,, you could maybe try a linux live disro to rule out any hardware issues.

I also run a rig with one of those cpu's in it as a ups shipping station at work,, to tell you the truth you may net be too impressed with the performance in any kind of gaming or anything, the one i got at work about make me wanna throw it through a window sometimes LOL
Just coolness factor though I would love that board, put it in a Lian Li case and show off the twins LOL :)

Last edited:
Nice find, I had a Thunder X Pro and a pair of MP 2200s, pin modded to 2600s ;) Tyan makes nice boards, I'd chose a dual XP/MP setup over a P4 any day. Even if you don't have SMP applications on it, it's good for multitasking. Windows XP Professional will support dual CPUs, Home Edition will support one CPU and should run stable, not sure why you're freezing but try linux and see if it still locks up on you.

Standard Ubuntu 8.10 is a nogo.....lack of SMP support???

I am downloading Ubuntu 8.10 server to see if that makes a difference.

XP Pro and Ubuntu should have no problems with two CPUs, you have some other issue at play there. What it is, I don't know.

As for the system itself, yeah, it's cool to play with, but don't expect a whole lot from it. I wouldn't use one of those for any serious tasks anymore, they're rather power hungry and can be wholly outperformed by even the lowest-end modern dual-core CPU (except the Atom). I understand that they tend to be rather finicky about add-in hardware, too, like some video cards and sound cards just won't work right with 'em.

But, to answer the original question: comparatively, a dual Athlon will take a P4, light it on fire, stomp on it, and commit morally questionable acts upon the remains. There's absolutely no contest there, whatsoever. :D

I would almost question if one of the two cpu's you have may have gone bad. i would think while installing windows it would only run on one untill it detected the other or somthing like that.

Do both of them get warm???

IT"S ALIVE!!!!

Well I have finely got the old Tiger up and purring:cool:

I had rescued this board from a dirty machine shop - that was in side of a Auto body shop. This thing was FILTHY:mad:

When I first got it I used an entire can of compressed air to blow all of the dust off of it. I did not remove the heat-sinks or CPU's.

Well as all of you who have read this tread so far knows - I was running into odd issues. Well I got frustrated and gave up on messing with it. - that was nearly a month ago.
Well 2 days ago my old SuperMicro MOBO decided that it no longer liked more than 1 stick of memory at at time.:bang head:mad::bang head

Well that was all the drive to pull out the Tyan Tiger and give that another go.
This time I really studded the board. I realized that it was still very dirty. I pulled the heat sinks and CPU's. Much to my HORROR:eek: each CPU had dust (Bondo dust) caked under it - that cant be good....

Well 3 cans of compressed air and a very soft paint brush later I had the board really clean. (and a bath for the heat-sinks)

I also took a closer look at the PSU that came with the board... It had leaking caps:-/

Well after a good cleaning, better PSU (Enermax 485 watt) and a different HDD the Tiger works...and seems to work well:thup:

May this be a good lessen for all of you out there with dirty cases.

But, to answer the original question: comparatively, a dual Athlon will take a P4, light it on fire, stomp on it, and commit morally questionable acts upon the remains. There's absolutely no contest there, whatsoever.
☺LOL☺

Lol, lets see some benches , I am curious on this compared to a 8 watt dual core atom setup.

I also took a closer look at the PSU that came with the board... It had leaking caps:-/

Well after a good cleaning, better PSU (Enermax 485 watt) and a different HDD the Tiger works...and seems to work well:thup:

Sounds like you found two great explainations for the funky performance and solved them both. Excellent work, and congrats on the bouncing baby SMP mobo.

But, to answer the original question: comparatively, a dual Athlon will take a P4, light it on fire, stomp on it, and commit morally questionable acts upon the remains. There's absolutely no contest there, whatsoever. :D

I have to agree.
My v6000 compaq laptop [AMD TL-52 @ 1.6 Ghz/(1.85GHZ overclocked)] Outperforms the tyan 2466 with dual AMD Athlon 2800+ @ 2200MHz chips by an order of magnitude. Not on cpu benchmark, but usability.

Wikipedia says "Some Barton core Athlon XP-Ms have been successfully overclocked to as high as 3.1 GHz."
I'm running pin modded at 16.5x, can i go higher? core voltage is 1.55v

thanks in advance...

Back