• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UD3H will not boot/enter BIOS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Heisenberg14

Registered
Hey evreyone,

I recently built a new computer with a Gigabyte z77x UD3H motherboard and got it up and running and installed windows 7 and could enter BIOS.

A few days ago I installed an h100 cooler and I am now unable to enter BIOS and it will not boot. When i turn the computer on, all the fans and light turn on and the motherboard cycles through a few codes and the Gigabyte splash screen shows for a bit but when I press DELETE to enter the BIOS the screen just stays blank. When I let the computer try to boot the screen also stays blank after it shown the Gigabyte splash screen

Ive cleared the cmos with the jumpers, the button, and took the battery out with the computer off and unpluged. Also, when i turn the computer and just let it run, I am getting an A9 error code that will not go away. The A9 errore code is "Bios has started." The code will stay there until I turn the computer off though.

I do not have a GPU connected.

The only things c0onnected to the motherboard are the fans, 24 pin, 8 pin CPU, and ive tried with the hard drive both connected and disconected.

Does anyone know what the problem may be or what else I can try to fix this?

You've covered the bases pretty well already it sounds like. I'd probably get Gigabyte on the phone and see what they have to say.

I'd probably also retry the CMOS reset stuff, just to be sure it took as that can be tricky at times.

I'd mess with the Memory as well, using only one stick, in each slot to see if that changes the response at all. Possible something got knocked loose or damaged installing the cooler. Unlikely, but trying different ram slots may shed some light on whats up.

You've covered the bases pretty well already it sounds like. I'd probably get Gigabyte on the phone and see what they have to say.

I'd probably also retry the CMOS reset stuff, just to be sure it took as that can be tricky at times.

Thans for the reply, IMOG. I have tried the CMOS clear a few times now and still nothing. It looks like i may have to do that. I bought the board from amazon about a week ago so I should still be able to return in with out too much hassle.

I edited that post, try messing with the memory also - if memory is screwed up, it might have trouble initializing BIOS.

I have tried 1 stick of memory in each slot with no luck. I also took the H100 cooler off and the CPU out, installed them both again, and also no luck.

Does anyone else have any ideas as to what is going on? Im not sure if I should RMA it or keep hoping it will fix itself....

pull the motherboard out of the case and try to start it on a flat surface w stock cooler installed you have board flex or bad standoff

Does anyone else have any ideas as to what is going on? Im not sure if I should RMA it or keep hoping it will fix itself....

Check the seating of the CPU again, make sure that there is full contact of the copper to CPU. For the time being install a stock HSF and retest.

I just had this issue yesterday with a friends board, his was stuck at the exact same point, but with a different error code (A6). I shorted the CMOS pins while the unit was on and frozen at that screen. It's a dual BIOS mobo and it seems to have problems switching to the alternate BIOS when an error occurs.

Make sure you plugged in the 6 (or 8pin) power connector on the very top left of the mobo, typically when I install a radiator cooling solution I tend to forget to plug it back in and it is then hidden behind the radiator and fans so I overlook it.

Thanks guys.

I shall do what you have suggested and report back.

Like I said, The only difference between working and not is the H100.

Yes, there is a fan connected to the cpu header.

I took the H100 off, Reseated the CPU and put the stock cooler back on and still have the same symptoms.

The motherboard, fans, hard drive, optical drive would all turn on and the GIGABYTE splash screen would show but I cant press anything on the keyboard to enter BIOS or if I let it go, it wont boot. I am positive the keyboard is working. The motherboard was also working fine and I could boot/enter BIOS before I installed the H100.

Maybe Ill try to get ahold of Gigabyte support to ask them if they have a sollution for this issue. Id hate to RMA it as I had RMA'd a DOA Gigabyte motherboard from Newegg a few weeks ago for a refund and the one I have now is the one I bought off of Amazon in its place.

:(

Great news guys, I found the problem.

I was previously doing everything with it hooked up to a tv with an HDMI cable.

I tried an old monitor using a VGA cable and I could enter BIOS.
For some reason The Gigabyte splash screen would show on the Tv but apparently nothing after it. Funny it worked before installing the H100.

Thanks for all the help. Can be marked as "SOLVED"

Back