• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

uh my 8800gtx is whining????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xtreme_ego

im trying to over clock it with ati tool and every time the fuzzy cube thing starts this annoying whine come out of my case . its deff my video card because its loudest with my ear next to it.

I just installed an ek block on it so this worrys me:eek:

If you've ruled out the fan, then I've eperienced something similar. Not with my 8800GTX, but with my old 7900GT cards. The would whine - in an electical way, very high pitched - when under heavy 3D load. I know nothing about electricity other than the difference between AC and DC. Maybe ViperJohn will jump in with an explanation?

xtreme_ego said:
im trying to over clock it with ati tool and every time the fuzzy cube thing starts this annoying whine come out of my case . its deff my video card because its loudest with my ear next to it.

Does the sound come out when you either run artifact scan or have artifact window open? or just when you set clocks?

My GTO does that aswell. Sounds like it happens when it's under heavy 3d load, and it's accentuated by higher temps. Could also be because it's pumping out so many FPS, probably over 600. My card does it any time its doing more than 150fps.

Whining is cause by something very small physically vibrating (electricity doesn't whine). It would happen to my old receiver, something inside was delaminating and vibrating against itself, I also have an old TV that whines when turned off. In the receivers case it most likely something involved in the AC to DC converter, since the AC signal would cause something to vibrate back and forth. On a vid card, I have no idea... I'm not sure how those little caps are made, but it could be one of them. I doubt the MOSFETs could do it, or any of the chips, so my guess would be one of the caps.
Dan

EDIT: I think your best bet is RMA...

xtreme_ego said:

That is pretty common with the 8800's and every 8800 i've had in here has done it after modding
when you lean on the Vcore and core clock. It is the coils in the Vcore series inductors singing.
It's not harmful but can sure be annoying sometimes.

Viper

lekyiscool said:
viper nice 8800 gtx viper fan 3 i assume those are hand made blocks?

ViperFang-III's are Swiftech Apogee based and allow clearance over my SuperSink Ramsinks.

ViperFang-IV's are machined completely from scratch. They produce 3C lower loaded die temps on modded
8800GTX's than ViperFang-III's do. I do not have pictures of them up on my site yet but will in a few days.

Viper

not to hijack this thread....but Viper how would you charge to mod 2 8800gtx's? Also what would be my downtime?

AsusLover said:
not to hijack this thread....but Viper how would you charge to mod 2 8800gtx's? Also what would be my downtime?

Please send me an email for this. Just click on my user name. I need to get all the details of what you want and your system.

Viper

Last edited:
meionm said:
Does the sound come out when you either run artifact scan or have artifact window open? or just when you set clocks?
sorry guys ive been away for awhile. but yes when i test for artifacts it whines whenever the cube moves it whines..:bang head

xtreme_ego said:
sorry guys ive been away for awhile. but yes when i test for artifacts it whines whenever the cube moves it whines..:bang head

It's very common (heck almost normal) with 8800's. When the core load up in 3D (yes and that includes the
Furry Cube) the coils in the Vcore series inductors can vibrate and produce an audible sub-harmonic of the
Vcore PS switching frequency. The whine can can change in volume and/or tone as right along with GPU
load as the load on the Vcore PS changes at any given moment in time.

It will cause no harm but can be downright irritating to some people.

Viper

Back