• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

umm car radator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would consider using a radiator (not heatercore) in a system designed to cool multiple computers. I think that if you had quite a few things to cool, cpu, gpu, nb for 4+ computers that this might make a very convieniant setup. These systems would be run in parallel and the larger diameter barbs on the radiator could facilitate larger tubing to the pump and res. I would also have a pump in each computer and come up with a method to drain or work on each system without taking all of them down. Of course, I could be dead wrong and making a system like this would be diminishing returns but I'm sure that someone has or will try something like this at some point.

This guy at silentpcreview did it:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article171-page1.html

I commented in the forums how he did his PSU though =\

I thought about this before. You can get a brand new 91-95 Explorer radiator (about 18" x 18" x 2") for 60$ on ebay. Or used for 40$ delivered (link)

Put that on the side of your case and duct a couple of adjustable blowers and it could work pretty well.

But you wouldnt need a powerful pump right? That thing has so many channels and is only one pass it should give less resistance than a smaller heatercore, right?

Last edited:
jamesavery22 said:
Or used for 40$ delivered (link)

You tease...:D
That's an aluminum radiator. I've been looking for a brass or copper one.
Rads with those crimped-on composite endtanks are aluminum.
Ford...gah!

Diggrr said:
You tease...:D
That's an aluminum radiator. I've been looking for a brass or copper one.
Rads with those crimped-on composite endtanks are aluminum.
Ford...gah!

Doh forgot about that =\ Come to think of it I dont think I have ever seen an actual radiator that is copper or brass, for obvious reasons of course. Even the heatercores in bmw's benz's and audiis tend to be all aluminum =(

Scrap that idea unless someone knows of a make and model that is that freaking big and is copper. That would weigh a ton.

Onbusy said:
...and I know there are electric water pumps for cars that run off a 12V system...I Think it would be a little overkill.
The only electric water pumps for cars that I've seen that run on 12v are for drag racers....the pumps are only intended to run for a few minutes at most, not continuously. Plus, they have a current draw that would bring your PSU to it's knees.
I believe that in the near future regular cars will have electric waterpumps (along with other, currently belt driven accessories), but they are going to be 48v, not 12v.

now you guys are talking VERY heavey and in depth, this is like custom cooling right here, not some half made project but some real planning. do you plan on using any of these ideas? if so post pics...i wanna see how it turns out. lol

Oh you'll see it all right. I just found my radiator on ebay.
Copper core with brass endtanks (I e-mailed the seller)...search item 7910224163.

Not bad, $90 +$15 shipping, will be here Friday. woor!

Yes, it's probably overkill. Yes, my water temp is now below room temp and my processor slightly above using a heatercore (plumbed from the basement).
But this hobby ain't for little ol' ladies, now is it? I'm building a Prescott system, and can prolly use all the help I can get. :D
I may even trade my current rig for my son's p533 to use as a fax only box, in which case, both will be watercooled by the same system.

Diggrr said:
Oh you'll see it all right. I just found my radiator on ebay.
Copper core with brass endtanks (I e-mailed the seller)...search item 7910224163.

Not bad, $90 +$15 shipping, will be here Friday. woor!

Yes, it's probably overkill. Yes, my water temp is now below room temp and my processor slightly above using a heatercore (plumbed from the basement).
But this hobby ain't for little ol' ladies, now is it? I'm building a Prescott system, and can prolly use all the help I can get. :D
I may even trade my current rig for my son's p533 to use as a fax only box, in which case, both will be watercooled by the same system.

Dude your posts are hilarious! LOL i love it man, heh keep it up. Oh...cant wait to see your pics,
Diggrr said:
Oh you'll see it all right.

clocker2 said:
How is this possible?

????? its very possible. every feel a heatsink thats not connected to anything? try putting it in front of a fan, ever sweat? you feel cooler when you have a breeze on you, other wise fans would be completely useless right?

Point is, you feel cooler in the shade rather than in the sun, if that makes sense.... :p :cool:

As I recall, he has some long tubing and a pretty good pump going to a radiator located in a location that maintains a much lower temp......

But I would think that, even assumimg 100% efficiency,
the best you could achieve would be to equal the ambient temp using a fan cooled radiator.
you feel cooler when you have a breeze on you, other wise fans would be completely useless right?
Sure, but that's evaporation, which is a phase change phenomonon and not what happens in a simple PC radiator loop.

Hellion said:
????? its very possible. every feel a heatsink thats not connected to anything? try putting it in front of a fan, ever sweat? you feel cooler when you have a breeze on you, other wise fans would be completely useless right?

Point is, you feel cooler in the shade rather than in the sun, if that makes sense.... :p :cool:

ignorant...or uneducated...that is the question

rogerdugans said:
As I recall, he has some long tubing and a pretty good pump going to a radiator located in a location that maintains a much lower temp......
Ok that makes sense.
We're talking about two different rooms..

Heh, my water is below the temp of my room.

Basement ambient is 17C (62.6F) where the heatercore is
Water is about 22-23C (~72F) low flow panaflo on the core
Processor temp is 28.5C (83.3F) right now, and usually.

Hellion said:
Man what the hell is your problem?

a heatsink is not colder just because it feels colder...

a heatsink left in a room without heat added to the heatsink will be the temperature of the room.

hands are not good thermal probes

am just tired of people giving incorrect advice, see sig for details

Back