• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

umm car radator?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
When you touch a room temp article with your hand, remember that the probe you're using is preheated to 95-98F degrees, so most things will feel cooler.
Sweating is the body's attempt to return to a normal temp, and has little to do with ambient temp, and more to do with dissipating heat that the muscles produce. It is evaporative, and as bongs show, works well.

Hands aren't too bad as thermal probes, 'bout as accurate as Abit's....:-/

All this discussion about how to set up a car radiator.

I will be booting up such a system tomorrow in fact.

System Specs.

Intel 2.8 E P4 (Yep a Preshott)
ECS 865PE Mobo
256 MB of Crucial XMS pc 3200 DDR
DD RBX with jet impingement nozzle
Danner Mag 7 pump
1957 Chevy Copper and Brass Radiator

All this is in a 4 foot tall Rackmount Server Cabinet. The fan for the radiator is a rackmount dual blower fan that runs on AC.

All you have to do to a bras rad is de solder the 2 inch hoses and solder a cap plate over the holes to seal it up then tap in you hose barbs like normal.

Cost of this Rad was 50 dollars + Shipping on Ebay about 6 months ago when I bought it.

Once I get the OS installed and everything seet up the way I want it I will see if MBM5 reads the mobo as I dont have any sort of thermal probes around here that can be reliably set up to read the chips temp.

I will let you know what sort of temps I get and also perhaps the OC I get if I actually decide to bump this thing some. I was planning a mild OC of abut 200 Mhz to get it up to 3 Ghz but that all depends on how hot this mother runs on this overkill setup.

greenman100 said:
a heatsink is not colder just because it feels colder...

a heatsink left in a room without heat added to the heatsink will be the temperature of the room.

hands are not good thermal probes

am just tired of people giving incorrect advice, see sig for details

So what? Check out diggr's post....at least hes not being mean about anything, he just siply corrects and moves on. Unlike a lot of people on this forum, they just yell at people.

SwampThing said:
I use the radiator, fan, and shroud out of a Geo Tracker. Used plumbers epoxy to embed 3/4" brass pipe nipples into the existing fittings, and attached 5/8 barbs to the nipples. It's a two pump single res system: MCP600 feeds the CPU and GPU blocks, a cheap 60 GPH fountain pump feeds the radiator. I run the fan on 5V, and can barely hear it; it's at the foot of my bed, the hard drives across the room are louder. Even with a hunk of filter foam in front of the rad to kill the dust bunnies, the water in the res is only 0.8C over room temps (5 degrees cooler than it was with a 6x9 heatercore).

I'd love to see some pics.

As would I.

I very nearly went goethermal, like Peikan (even built the pump/ res for it) but decided not to. Just not enough room in my case for a radiator.

Keep an eye on that fan though. I've seen the brushes wear tracks into the comutator and die unexpectedly, because they aren't constant duty fans.
Albeit, on a car in southern Oklahoma, where it's used alot....

Hellion said:
So what? Check out diggr's post....at least hes not being mean about anything, he just siply corrects and moves on. Unlike a lot of people on this forum, they just yell at people.

Nobody is yelling at you, it's just that some people dispense with the formalities of being 'extra nice'. It's hard to be 'extra nice' when every day someone comes up with a strange uneducated idea that is completely false but they are convinced of it. I don't mean that in a derogatory way, that's just what some things are; strange uneducated (and incorrect) ideas.

squeakygeek said:
Coldplate of a 226 watt peltier with no heatload, watercooled with a huge radiator, outside in the middle of the night in the middle of winter :p

I should probably change it because it's kind of irrelevant

NO nO leave it!!!! its cool.....sorry, joke....bad joke. :D also, sorry about ****in everyone off, ill try to be less retarted when it comes to answers

Here's my rig with the '57 Chevy Radiator.

System is as follows.

Intel P4 Prescott 2.8E @ 3.01 (FSB 215)
ECS 865PE-2 Rev 2.0 mobo
Corsair XMS 256 MB PC 3200 DDR
DD RBX with Jet Impingement Nozzle
Danner Mag 7 Pump

Running currently at 35C idle 42-45 C full load (Via MBM 5 and BIOS temp readouts.)
This is passive cooled, I have yet to have to turn on the blower

Room Temp is between 20-25 C

Attachments

• Full-view-Back.jpg
    Full-view-Back.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 101
  • RBX.jpg
    RBX.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 98
mmmm
Makes me wonder what mine's gonna do with 4 sanyo-denki 120x38's...in the basement. I'll have to test first for condensation!
The rad arrives Friday, and the fans shortly thereafter.

Diggrr said:
mmmm
Makes me wonder what mine's gonna do with 4 sanyo-denki 120x38's...in the basement. I'll have to test first for condensation!
The rad arrives Friday, and the fans shortly thereafter.

Cool, good luck with the condensation.

Back