• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Unable to update to 13.12 Drivers !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

Hey guys bought new 280X Toxic , so here what I did updating and upgrading.

1) I used Program and Features , AMD Catalayst Install Manager Express Uninstall ALL AMD Drivers.
2) Restart PC , boot up all fine ( But I have MSI Afterburner , so I went and check it shows Catalysts 12.11 )
3) Shut down PC , remove my old HD 7870 , installs new R9-280X Toxic
4) Donwload latest Drivers from AMD Website , 13.12
5) Express Install
6) Restart PC , boot up all fine.
7) Check CCC still shows Catalayst 12.11 same goes for MSI Afterburner
8) Download 13.12 from Sapphire Webpage , and just Install it without uninstalling the Drivers , was able to Install , restart PC , boot up fine.
Still shows Catalyst 12.11....

What's going on ?? What I did wrong ?? First time I got such a ridiculous problem with updating Drivers...

Step 1 - 7 it's what I did following this site , I've asked many people they said this is the best method , my friend used this too , but they were able to get to 13.12

http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/cg_installing_drivers_amd/

For a while 13.12 was bugged in that it didn't update what driver was listed, so if you had 13.9s then installed 13.12 it still said 13.9. I'm not sure that they fixed that.

For a while 13.12 was bugged in that it didn't update what driver was listed, so if you had 13.9s then installed 13.12 it still said 13.9. I'm not sure that they fixed that.

But this is worst ! Now instead of having 13.9 , I have 12.11 instead , it's old as hell the driver.

Both my MSI Afterburner and AMD CCC shows is 12.11 , how to confirm that Im actually running on a " safe " driver ?
I worry it will cause me problems.

What kind of lame bug is this ?? How is this even possible , I mean if you updated the wrong files online for us to download I guess it make sense but this doesn't make any sense at all.

Im worrying the **** out of me now , what can I do / what should I do now ?
Most importantly why my friends are able to get to 13.12 no problems ?
Should I try using the DVD to install then instead ?

Try using drivercleaner to completely remove all the drivers and MSI AB. After reboot install CCC drivers first then MSI AB

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/driver_cleaner_professional.html

Firstly is this safe ? I had bad experience before with " Driver Sweeper " not
" Cleaner " though this is " Clearer " what happened was It caused me a freaking BSOD on boot up after using it...

Anyways , like Supertrucker said on top it's a bug I guess.
Now I've notice it. I tried comparing with my friend who had 13.12
So all these are exact same. Anyone else uses 13.12 too ?
If all these are same does that meant Im actually on 13.12 ? Or the Catalyst Version must show 13.12 ?

Driver Packaging Version
13.251-131206a-165817C-ATI

Catalyst Version ( EXCEPT THIS , THIS MY FRIEND SHOW 13.12 )

2D Driver Version

2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0002

Direct3D Version

OpenGL Version

AMD Catalyst Control Center Version

AMD Audio Driver Version

Also I took a comparison with AMD"s Driver site
Seems like it too shows that it's 13.251
(Read Driver Package Info)

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst13-12WINReleaseNotes.aspx

Should I hope and pray for a FIX ASAP from AMD or should I try going with the solution Luke1978 mentioned ?

EDIT : Want to check one more thing , is this feature only for 290 and 290X ???

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290x-hawaii-review,3650-5.html

Last edited:
I'm reasonably sure you are on 13.12. If you want to be completely sure you can use a driver cleaner and do a fresh install. When I get home I will check what mine says, use a driver cleaner, and then do a fresh install to see if it says 13.12.

Edit: as far as I know the new powertune with temp targets and whatnot is only the new 290/290x. On earlier model cards it was the much simpler power draw slider. 100 -> 120%

Anyways guys , I went and check with everyone else and compared their info ( I yet had another friend was able to upgrade to 13.12 without fuss again..)

I also went to AMD Forum and discussed this , so the thing here is this is actually a bug , it's only cosmetically shows you your running on old driver like mine.

But it's by fact your already on 13.12 , so the work around for this problem is by editing the registry key. It works , now my CCC and MSI Afterburner shows 13.12

If anyone want to know the solution on how to change the registry key do ask here, I try to dig out that guide again. I forgot how , I followed a guide.

Back