• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unexpected Kernel Trap Mode BSOD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gh0sT-NoVa

As of just now, when I was trying to launch GTA V, all sudden my PC freezes, then I got a BSOD, and the BSOD automatically restarts after a few second too I didn't have to reset my self.
So I used " Whocrashed " to read the error files. This is what I've got.
But the Time is wrong on the program, Date is correct I don't know why...

On Tue 10-Nov-15 06:45:59 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111015-5725-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k+0x711B7)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0x80050033, 0x406F8, 0xFFFFF960001211B7)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 10-Nov-15 06:45:59 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys (win32k!EngFntCacheLookUp+0x392B)
Bugcheck code: 0x7F (0x8, 0x80050033, 0x406F8, 0xFFFFF960001211B7)
Error: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
file path: C:\Windows\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the Intel CPU generated a trap and the kernel failed to catch this trap.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time.

Ok now I've Google it up myself, what usually causes this problem is, Incompatible Hardwares / Drivers colliding with each other thus causing this error.
Another reason behind this BSOD is also a Failed Hardware ( some claimed it's a completely failed hardware, not a faulty / dying hardware, but instead a dead one )

So I was wondering, how do I find out more exactly what caused this BSOD on my PC ?? This is the first time for me, also I HAVEN'T been doing ANYTHING at all for the past few days or weeks.
No new Hardware installed well except Xbox One controller, which too I had to install a Driver manually for it, but it was like last week, also I did a Option Windows Update as well related to the controller installation.
And of course Games....Im almost constantly downloading games, since I often buy new games, as of recent StarCraft II Legacy of the Void but I doubt these are the things that will cause problem will it ??

Or is it really possible that Im having hardware failure :( ?

It looks like this crash is called by a problem with the graphics subsystem's font cache - it might be some corruption in the game files?

(Font vulnerabilities are much prized by malware authors, so you need to keep that in mind.)

STOP 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Usual causes: Memory corruption, Hardware (memory in particular), Overclocking failure, Installing a faulty or mismatched hardware (especially memory) or a failure after installing it, 3rd party firewall, Device drivers, SCSI/network/BIOS updates needed, Improperly seated cards, Incompatible storage devices, Overclocking, Virus scanner, Backup tool, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack

This 0x7F with the 1st parameter of 0x8 is a double fault:
0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:

A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault. If you think this overview has occurred, use !thread to determine the stack limits, and then use kb (Display Stack Backtrace) with a large parameter (for example, kb 100) to display the full stack.

A hardware problem.

It looks like this crash is called by a problem with the graphics subsystem's font cache - it might be some corruption in the game files?

(Font vulnerabilities are much prized by malware authors, so you need to keep that in mind.)

Sorry I must first mention my English isn't so good, so I may not full understand your replies for the first time.

But I think that could be the problem as I mentioned I was launching GTA V when the BSOD occurred, at the same time I was chatting my friend on STEAM, so maybe something went wrong there, since the game is launching and the chat box was still at Desktop, it kind caused it to go Windowed mode, not to mention I also have Monitoring programs running 24/7 that kind of things ( Im using MSI AB + RivaTuner well time to time, this kind of things does cause problem for my games crashing etc but never BSOD )

But I don't really understand this part
What you do mean exactly by " much prized by malware authors " ? You lost me here on this part. Hope you can dumb it down for me

0x00000008, or Double Fault, indicates that an exception occurs during a call to the handler for a prior exception. Typically, the two exceptions are handled serially. However, there are several exceptions that cannot be handled serially, and in this situation the processor signals a double fault. There are two common causes of a double fault:

A kernel stack overflow. This overflow occurs when a guard page is hit, and the kernel tries to push a trap frame. Because there is no stack left, a stack overflow results, causing the double fault. If you think this overview has occurred, use !thread to determine the stack limits, and then use kb (Display Stack Backtrace) with a large parameter (for example, kb 100) to display the full stack.

A hardware problem.

Bit confused now, so it maybe hardware faulty ??

I'd guess at the game/Steam/overlays being at fault, possibly AB is in the mix too. If you use a Steam Beta, opt out and install the release version. Turn off any Steam/Origin/... overlays, turn off any 3rd party utilities, like AB/RivaTuner, for a few days -> week and verify the game files using Steam (delete a few new game files to try to 'force' an fresh update/patch - I've known times when it takes 3 tries to get a clean working patch downloaded and installed from Steam).

So no, I don't think that your crash details look like a hardware failure - yet ;)

Malware writers need to find vulnerabilities to enable them to infect systems, any known weak points will be high priority targets, anything that can gain them access close to the Windows kernel (ring0) is of high value, any unpatched font subsystem vulnerability will be a target. Blackhole and other exploit packs use font vulnerabilities as part of their attack mechanisms, through 'drive by' attacks when visiting infected websites. Any vulnerability might also be exploited by an infected game crack, etc.

Try repairing the game files through Steam.

RJARRRRRRRRRR, would love to know what makes you immediately jump to the conclusion that the capacitors are bad in a system that's only a year or two old...

Try repairing the game files through Steam.

RJARRRRRRRRRR, would love to know what makes you immediately jump to the conclusion that the capacitors are bad in a system that's only a year or two old...

Faulty caps rear their ugly head often at only 2 or 3 years and symptoms known to be unexplained instability. Sadly, the poly caps may have failed.

Faulty caps rear their ugly head often at only 2 or 3 years and symptoms known to be unexplained instability. Sadly, the poly caps may have failed.

In that case, it should go back to the manufacturer.

That said, I'm 99% sure this isn't an issue with capacitors. We'll continue helping Ghost troubleshoot through normal, and much more likely, methods.

I'd guess at the game/Steam/overlays being at fault, possibly AB is in the mix too. If you use a Steam Beta, opt out and install the release version. Turn off any Steam/Origin/... overlays, turn off any 3rd party utilities, like AB/RivaTuner, for a few days -> week and verify the game files using Steam (delete a few new game files to try to 'force' an fresh update/patch - I've known times when it takes 3 tries to get a clean working patch downloaded and installed from Steam).

So no, I don't think that your crash details look like a hardware failure - yet ;)

That's a great idea, though it make take days to be sure everything is fine and maybe just a random weird " bug " or something, which I really hope it is and nothing too serious lol....

Malware writers need to find vulnerabilities to enable them to infect systems, any known weak points will be high priority targets, anything that can gain them access close to the Windows kernel (ring0) is of high value, any unpatched font subsystem vulnerability will be a target. Blackhole and other exploit packs use font vulnerabilities as part of their attack mechanisms, through 'drive by' attacks when visiting infected websites. Any vulnerability might also be exploited by an infected game crack, etc.

My brain hurts when trying to process this lol, but I think I have a rough idea what you're trying to say.
Anyhow I also taken the liberty of scanning for viruses just in case :D ( Hope Im using the correct grammar as well lol, trying to learn how to use big words along the way )

It may be faulty caps.

http://badcaps.net

Hmm....not trying to deny your claim since I myself have isn't that knowledgeable and experience how a PC works, except I know how to build one and few of the basic things.
But based on my knowledge and experience, I think a faulty caps will may actually be worst than getting a BSOD, won't it just like instant just shut off or maybe having some boot up issues instead.
Now I've experienced myself back then, I wonder how many of you are familiar with the infamous HD 7870 BSOD issue back then :p I was the victim of it, If not mistaken, I think the card had a bad batch of Caps or was it Choke ?
It causes the PC to shut down and with sound loop like so in the video. It happens right about 2 - 3 Weeks after buying the GPU.
My current system is about 2 - 3 Years at most old now actually. Most the parts are new. GPU and PSU is less than a Year, Mobo and CPU is about 3 Years. Soundcard could be 2 Years now.
But Im curious since you said it could be faulty caps, specifically on which component do you meant ? ( meant or mean ? Hope you can correct my English along the way )

Here's the video btw, ignore the comments, some claiming it was Windows problem and it was not, I RMA the card back then, no issues till after I switched to a 280X ToXiC

In that case, it should go back to the manufacturer.
That said, I'm 99% sure this isn't an issue with capacitors. We'll continue helping Ghost troubleshoot through normal, and much more likely, methods.

Concentrate on what happens in the seconds around starting your game(s), minimise anything non-vital that's running for a few days and then reintroduce them into the mix one at a time over the next week or so. Verify the game files.

Sometimes it's just a chance combination of events over a few milliseconds that triggers a crash, you might go for months or more before hitting the same glitch.

I do wonder whether it was related to Windows language files/input methods (IME) ->"EngFntCache" but let's wait and see if it happens again.

One of the latest batch of Critical security patches is for font vulnerabilities, probably through Flash - keep on top of Critical/security patches and Adobe product updates if you use them, Flash/Adobe Reader are the main weaknesses. EDIT: I see that this kb, KB3097877, is causing issues with Outlook, maybe more - expect a re-release from MS in a day or so!

Last edited:
Back