• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unlocking to 4 cores

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

de_yogurt

So, my roommate is upgrading, which means I'm going to be taking his mobo, cpu, and mem off of him that he has currently. The system is from ibuypower. He has a phenom II x2 550 be. however, when doing research on the cpu it says its an AM3. however the board is only an am2+? so, a couple of questions. Is the only difference between am3 and am2+, is that am3 supports ddr3? did amd release 2 different versions of the same cpu? now to the topic. im getting this for a super good deal. im wanting to see if i can unlock to 4 or 3 cores. i know this isnt guaranteed, but what board would be a good one to go with? by that, i mean, the one that is the most likely to work to unlock the cores? again, i realize this isnt a guarantee, but i figure its worth a shot. also, are there any am2+ boards that support the right chipsets, so that i wouldnt have to get new memory? thanks in advance and as always, have a good one!

Yogurt

What is this unlocking all about? Boards that support a chip don't automatically use all the cores?

someone correct me if im wrong here. seems that when amd and intel produce chips, they do it on a mass level. say 10,000 chips. some of the chips, are stable at a certain speed. so lets say, they want to produce a 3.2ghz quad core, but the chip isnt stable, they might just turn off a couple of cores and lower the speed. wham! now they a 2.8ghz dual core. not all of the cores they lock are broken or unstable. they just dont meet the needs of what they wanted the end result to be.

Yogurt

PS- its more about getting more potential out of a chip then anything. only certain boards with the correct southbridge(i think) and i think its called ACC, are able to unlock the "disabled" cores.

So, my roommate is upgrading, which means I'm going to be taking his mobo, cpu, and mem off of him that he has currently. The system is from ibuypower. He has a phenom II x2 550 be. however, when doing research on the cpu it says its an AM3. however the board is only an am2+? so, a couple of questions. Is the only difference between am3 and am2+, is that am3 supports ddr3? did amd release 2 different versions of the same cpu? now to the topic. im getting this for a super good deal. im wanting to see if i can unlock to 4 or 3 cores. i know this isnt guaranteed, but what board would be a good one to go with? by that, i mean, the one that is the most likely to work to unlock the cores? again, i realize this isnt a guarantee, but i figure its worth a shot. also, are there any am2+ boards that support the right chipsets, so that i wouldnt have to get new memory? thanks in advance and as always, have a good one!

Yogurt

I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to AM2+ as I have only been running AMD since AM3, but, the biggest difference is that the AM3 platform fully adopts DDr3. Newer AMD CPUs have both a DDr2 and DDr3 memory controller built into the CPU. (Remember, memory controller is part of the CPU now.) Therefore a newer CPu can run in an older board, but some older CPUs cannot run in a newer board.

To your original question. Many 555 BEs will unlock to 3 and even 4 cores...you need the mobo to do it though. Chances are whatever mobo is in his old ibuywhatthehellever isn't capable of this. Can't be positive, but probably not.

To have a chance at unlocking the CPU to more cores you will most likely need a newer motherboard. Some AM2+ boards do it, some AM3 boards will do it. It varies mobo to mobo.

If you could find out exactly what mobo you look to be inheriting I could help out more...but my initial thoughts are you will need a new one.

What is this unlocking all about? Boards that support a chip don't automatically use all the cores?

Not if the CPu is labeled (sold) as a lesser model. It gets complicated, but at times AMD will sell a quad core CPU as a dual core or triple core CPU...sometimes it is because of a defective core. Sometimes it is because of demand and they would rather sell an x4 as an x2 instead of selling nothing at all.

For instance I have a 555 BE, I got lucky, mine will unlock to a quad core...making it basically a 955 BE. Some will unlock all 4 cores, some only 3, some are what they are X2s. (FYI, I have yet to see a 555 BE that didn't unlock to x3, most new ones will go x4.) I would refer you to this link for some learning. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661708

Lots of knowledge dropped in that thread.

someone correct me if im wrong here. seems that when amd and intel produce chips, they do it on a mass level. say 10,000 chips. some of the chips, are stable at a certain speed. so lets say, they want to produce a 3.2ghz quad core, but the chip isnt stable, they might just turn off a couple of cores and lower the speed. wham! now they a 2.8ghz dual core. not all of the cores they lock are broken or unstable. they just dont meet the needs of what they wanted the end result to be.

Yogurt

PS- its more about getting more potential out of a chip then anything. only certain boards with the correct southbridge(i think) and i think its called ACC, are able to unlock the "disabled" cores.

More or less. In the early runs of the Deneb architecture some speculate that x4s with a "broken" or "weak" core were sold as x3, or even x2. Later on after the fabrication process got better there weren't as many "broken" CPUs coming off the lines...however the demand for triple and dual core processors was still very high. So, AMD will turn off a core or two to meet the demand...even though there might be nothing wrong with said core.

Again, read the above link I posted...I go more into depth there. As with anything overclcoking, it is a crap shoot. You buy a dual core, you might get a dual core...or you might get a quad.

Thats some good info thanks. I am aware that im going to need a new board. Thats the main reason i posted, but just had some other questions about am2+ and am3. im looking for suggestions for the best capable motherboard that has a good chance of unlocking the cpu. i figured lots of amd guys out there on the forums have done it, and was wondering if certain motherboard model, manufacturer, or southbridge was the common denominator. ill have to take sometime and read that other post later(Dexter is an amazing show and netflix rocks). thanks again and have a good one!

Yogurt

Thats some good info thanks. I am aware that im going to need a new board. Thats the main reason i posted, but just had some other questions about am2+ and am3. im looking for suggestions for the best capable motherboard that has a good chance of unlocking the cpu. i figured lots of amd guys out there on the forums have done it, and was wondering if certain motherboard model, manufacturer, or southbridge was the common denominator. ill have to take sometime and read that other post later(Dexter is an amazing show and netflix rocks). thanks again and have a good one!

Yogurt

The motherboards are a set thing...meaing they either will, or will not unlock a CPU. And they are advertised as having such capabilities. There isn't a better or worse chance of unlocking based on mobo...that is entirely up to the individual CPU you have...provided the mobo supports unlocking to begin with.

Does that make sense? I mean a Biostar mobo has no better/worse chance of unlocking a CPU than a Jiggybyte or an ASUS. They either have the function or they don't. If it happens or not is entirely based upon the CPU.

My 555 BE unlocked all four cores (and overclocked all 4 like mad) on both a Biostar TA890FXE and a Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5.

Depending on what board came with the system, I have a friend that has purchased two systems from ibuypower and they have been great to work with and they carry anything from basic on up to top of the line products. Even some of their prebuilt system come with descent hardware. I was going to build her a system but could not buy the parts and put it together myself for what they could do it for.

CPU-Z mainboard tab should tell you the board and model number.

It totally makes sense. Im just trying to gather enough information as possible because of the fact that i really want to do this. Even though its a cpu thing, just seems like, even if the motherboard has all the correct bells and whistles to do it, that there are boards that are preferred over another, to adjust things like vcore, fsb, multiplier, so on and so forth. im just trying to figure out what decent board to unlock and adjust all these things as i need to. thanks again, and the video of how the amd cpu is made, very cool! Have a good one!

Yogurt

PS- it seems that people are thinking im wanting to use the mobo in his current setup. THAT IS NOT CORRECT! I know i need to get a new mobo to unlock the cpu. Im just trying to find out the results from real people who have done it and what board they use.

I can tell you that ibuypower uses mainly Asus/Gigabyte boards so I would not rule it out just yet, odds are if it was a prebuilt system then it used a lower level board but for all I know he ordered a custom system from them or just upgraded the motherboard when he placed the order.

Their CS is pretty good and will give good advise to people when they buy about recommended updates, I was actually surprised when my friend ordered both of hers since they did not try to get her to buy the highest end parts but did recommend to buy basically the same stuff I was suggesting to her.

I've done some research on the board and it wont work, thats for sure! Like i said just want to have the most info i can before i make a new board purchase and new mem purchase. I like doing a lot of research and asking questions and reading reviews before i make purchases and try to do something like this. Just thought some user info and or tips/suggestions would be a good thing to have and keep in mind.

Yogurt

In the AMD chipset line, any board that has a 710 or 750 SB in the AM2+ and the first generation AM3 boards will theoretically be able to unlock cores as will all the newer generation AM3 boards with the 8xx chipsets. They must also have ACC or some other core unlocking feature in bios. A few of the boards with unlocking capability in the chipset won't have the feature listed in bios and so can't unlock. I think some of the newer Nvidia chipset AM3 boards also have core unlocking capability. Research before you buy.

Last edited:
Does this motherboard support this ability?
I don't know what processor is in there as it's not known by the mb.
I believe it was an AM2+

MB.png

That board doesn't support core unlocking and it looks like the bios doesn't properly support your cpu either. You might want to update your bios so it does

Do you think it will make a difference in performance?
According to their bios page:
"Warning:
Because BIOS flashing is potentially risky, if you do not encounter problems using the current version of BIOS, it is recommended that you not flash the BIOS. To flash the BIOS, do it with caution. Inadequate BIOS flashing may result in system malfunction."

It should make a difference in the system actually knowing what CPU it has...could fix any number of issues you're having whether you realize them or not.

Ok, will do.
Luckily this system can use the @BioS so I can do it through windows. I don't have a floppy drive laying around.
Backing up and taking the chance. Eagerly looking forward to some improved performance.

Just to throw this in. I have a Gigabyte 890fx and a gigabyte 890gx, both have core unlock but the 890gx couldn't unlock an x3 740, I think it was the cpu, not the mb. These are both very capable overclockers. 890fx/1055t stable @4144 on air and the 890gx/x3 740 @4178 good for .6 boints.

Some new bios updates seem to disable core unlock. Don't know it that's true.

I am shocked that it worked. The @BioS update through windows worked like a charm.
Now the processor is identified.

MB2.png

Is this enough info to know if I can unlock it or do I need to open up the case and take off the heatsink, scrape some goo, o dear please tell me there's a better way...

I already told you that it's not possible. You don't have the correct cpu or motherboard to do it.

Back