• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unregister

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fgf80

I have a Windows installation disk for the same version of windows that is on my cousin's laptop, but how can I un-register the current installation so that I can reuse the serial when I reinstall?

Is this even possible?

Thank you!:D

Are you reinstalling it on that laptop, or a different computer? Is it OEM?

OEM licenses like the ones DELL/HP come with are usually bound to that machine.

Same system.

Also, what do I need after I've un-registered it?
I've already attained the Product ID and CD Key. Anything else I need?

If you are using the OEM restore disks, it does not attempt to activate. It will handle itself. Just wipe and use.

I don't have the OEM restore disks; I do have a clean install DVD of MS Windows 7 Home Premium as well as the CD Key and OEM Key from the installed copy.

By Microsoft's EULA, an OEM licence key is tied to the motherboard of the computer it's first used on. OEM keys are not transferable, but Retail keys are.

I don't have the OEM restore disks; I do have a clean install DVD of MS Windows 7 Home Premium as well as the CD Key and OEM Key from the installed copy.

The OEM key on the sticker will give you an error when using a retail dvd.

With XP, i just called Microsoft, and they gave me the activation code anyways. Not sure how they handle it with 7, though.

New Problems

I called Microsoft, and they were surprisingly nice about it. However, I have a new problem.

The laptop, a Dell Inspiron N5110, has many 3rd party drivers. The important ones, however, are the LAN and WLAN drivers. Where can I find these? Are they available for download?

Last edited:
You should be able to download them directly off Dell's website.

Missing the Drivers

Everyone may not be partial to my answer but Driver Genius Pro seems to find some really obscure drivers and surprisingly on my rig... ones that were updated in the last 6 days.

Sorry seniors if this isn't a completely legit acceptability practice here..

Or you could just download it by searching for the device ID. I would never trust the programs to not be malware/spyware and to download the proper/updated driver.

Back