• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unstable and Thermal throttling FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just get low profile ram so the cooler doesn't interfere

Don't get kingston ram either, nothing wrong with it per se but we've seen a lot of people come through here running AMD rigs that have problems with Kingston kits. They will eventually work but will require some user tweaking at times. G.Skill are the way to go with AMD, most kits will work without issue.

G.Skill are the way to go with AMD, most kits will work without issue.

And had some headroom for ram overclock on all the kits I have bought in the last 2 years. Last I bought was about 6 mos ago and they still had some overclock headroom in them with the Ares DDR3-1866 I purchased.

I also did a quick search of this GA-970A-UD3P and it is pretty new as far as boards go but there is one user in this forum bought one to try and get better overclock on a 965BE and the bios on that later board would not work for older cpus or so that user finally decided. So not friendly with cpus earlier than FX processor it seems. Plus that board was not fairing super on other threads since it had issues with disabling spreadspectrum. Don't know if they got it sorted or not. There are too many other boards that function without possible problems Gigabyte has had over the last 2 years with their AM3+ motherboards.
RGone...

Last edited:
It will with a crappy VRM section.

It's false advertising, unless there's a warning telling folks that they don't support any FX8xxx.

IIRC, it would also be unstable with an FX8120 if the power delivery isn't enough for 8 cores.

I wonder if emulating an FX6300 will make it stable?

It's false advertising, unless there's a warning telling folks that they don't support any FX8xxx.

IIRC, it would also be unstable with an FX8120 if true.

I wonder if emulating an FX6300 will make it stable?

Did you read EarthDog's post about it not being on the CPU list for this board?

Did you read EarthDog's post about it not being on the CPU list for this board?

OK, I see that FX6300 is listed, thus I'm afraid that an 8-core isn't supported.

I believe you're right that the power section isn't enough for 8 cores. :(

Last edited:
Well just tried overclocking my old 955be and i could not get it stable on this board, not even stock. Where i could get it stable on my old asus m5a78l. Wich has a 3+1 VRM. Im starting to wonder if this board is just not okay. Or if there is something else going on....

Last edited:
Well just tried overclocking my old 955be and i could not get it stable on this board, not even stock. Where i could get it stable on my old asus m5a78l. Wich has a 3+1 VRM. Im starting to wonder if this board is just not okay. Or if there is something else going on....

S_C there is no way to really know if there is something else going on. Why?
1.) Well we don't have the board close to hand to really set at the keyboard and adjust closely everything to see what is what.
2.) There seems to be a pattern where the later bioses that are being assembled for FX cpus mayNoT work so well for Phenom2 type cpus.
3.) IF the board is AM3+ and in a later revision or is built when the FX cpus have just about taken over like the GA-970A-UD3P board was released...then they don't work well with Phenom2 type cpus.
4.) A board that was built heavy duty from the very first one that was released 2.5 years ago as AM3+ will likely have an early bios that can be flashed onto the board and work probably better for earlier AMD Phenom2 type cpus. But when swapped back to an FX type cpu would need to be flashed back to a later bios.

Motherboards like the 970 Extreme4 have not been recommended by most of us that help in this forum section in at least 2 years because they just were not heavy duty enough to push 8 core FX processors AS FAST as a good FX 8 core processor would go. So we don't have much of a baseline as to how those boards 'might' operate on earlier cpus just because most have bought better boards and ALSO bought to go with FX processors and for that we would not be recommending the 970 Extreme4 anyway.

So you and the 970 Extreme4 maybe in a time warp. You could be using a bios not really well suited to Phenom2 cpus or just that the board is not well setup to run the Phenom2 cpu you installed for a quick test. You would really have had to spend a great deal of time with these AMD boards and FX processors and the like to see these types of trends develop. Take the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 that you are buying that has been for sale in that Revision for a pretty long while now, and most of the guys in here that you see put up the big numbers, don't even run the later bioses on their boards with FX processors. The older bioses often just seem to work better for heavy overclocking and all of US do that deed.

It really is not very complicated but it does require a little extra or make that a better working knowledge of what has transpired over the last 2.5 years as the FX processor has taken hold in a big way. Certain parameters have changed in how the bioses work when the FX processor and even Win 8 came on the scene and later boards have certainly been slanted at the FX processor and in that situation, every board can generally run a later FX processor but not every later board is suited to pushing and hitting on it to run an FX processor to try and clock it up high enough to 'try' and catch up with an Intel processor.

I would not believe that the Sabetooth 990FX R2.0 would overclock a Phenom2 processor with the very latest bios as well as with an older or first release bios for the R2.0 board. Seems just a fact of life in how the bioses are being tweaked for the cpu of the age.
RGone...

Well guys, got the ASUS Sabertooth. And i must say, this is one good bord.

So far completely stable on stock settings. did do a small OC test. 4.5 ghz @ 1.356V.
CPU:OCCT, 4x1 hour tests remained stable.

I do still struggle with the temps. Gets 73 degrees celcius in Prime 95 blend before i stopped it. But its also pretty warm in my room. (82 degrees Fahrenheit)

The board does have a lot of options i have never heard of before. Especially in the DIGI+ section. So if there are some important things i should now about some settings, i would be glad to hear them.

So far i have disabled the standard options. (C1E,APM,Spread Spectrum etc.)

In short, there are a lot of things i do not yet understand about this board.

82F is pretty warm for a room with a computer in it.

attachment.php

One fan back of cpu socket.

ATTACH]

Two fans on top of VRMs.

There are two temps we are concerned with related to FX processors and generally we get them both from Free Version of HWMonitor from CPUID com. They are Cpu or Socket Temp which is best kept to 72c or below. And there is Core or now Package temp which is thought best kept to 62c or below. For us that have been doing this helping since the release of the first FX processors; it helps if users say socket/cpu or core/package when speaking of a temp on the system. Thanks.

The two pics above are handled in some manner by everyone of us in this forum section in one or the other of the ways those two pictures illustrate, to help in keeping the VRMs cool and in 'lowering' cpu/socket temps to stay in the less than 72c range.
RGone...

Attachments

• vrm fans.jpg
    vrm fans.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
It should have a warning on it, "don't increase in size unless viewing on a 60" monitor".

That 2nd picture is HUGE, LOL!

Shett E_D I never looked. I keep the URL for those pics in a file of other AMD tips and tricks. I suppose I could download and resize it and upload it and keep the URL for the new downsized upload I make. Pirate picture already used in the forum in other words.
RGone...

EDIT:
I halfed the picture size and Uploaded it under new address.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
It should have a warning on it, "don't increase in size unless viewing on a 60" monitor".

Shett shett. I never looked 'manny' I just saved the upload link from forum and used it where ever it was useful, instead of uploading another for the server to store. But I did just now half-size it and upload to new spot on server.
RGone...sterskizzzzzzzzzz. :bang head

:chair:

Back