• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unstable and Thermal throttling FX 8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
now you gottsa board!!!!! time to make that little piggy squeal!!!

Nice save.... :p

I won't tell on you :chair:... :bday:

Ok. Noctua cooler. Decent case. Decent motherboard. Decent wire management....

Still overheating...

3 things can be wrong at this point.

1. Defective cpu
2. Defective cooler
3. Improper TIM. (Bad tube, bad application, cheap stuff)

Might be time to investigate the physical side of things....

here ya go.
and yes i have stress tested it a couple of times with prime 95 and OCCT linpack. it seems stable most of the time. but say i start a game that only uses the first core (World of tanks)
it will crash within 30 minutes most of the time.

My bios Settings :

And Temps after 20 min Prime 95 :

CpuZ readings :

Asus Thermal Radar :

Last edited:
Nice save.... :p

I won't tell on you :chair:... :bday:

Ok. Noctua cooler. Decent case. Decent motherboard. Decent wire management....

Still overheating...

3 things can be wrong at this point.

1. Defective cpu
2. Defective cooler
3. Improper TIM. (Bad tube, bad application, cheap stuff)

Might be time to investigate the physical side of things....
1. Not sure how to know its defective.
2. Pretty sure its working fine.
3. have always used the rice grain method, this time with Arctic MX4

Off the cuff... that 1.275 volts is incredibly low for an oc 8350.... shocked it even boots o_O

Off the cuff... that 1.275 volts is incredibly low for an oc 8350.... shocked it even boots o_O

and yes i have stress tested it a couple of times with prime 95 and OCCT linpack. it seems stable most of the time. but say i start a game that only uses the first core (World of tanks)
it will crash within 30 minutes most of the time.

That voltage isn't terribly low. These processors are known for being pretty good at clocks and lower voltage.

View these stock Pstates for my late 8350 - The 17x multi is only 1.275v up to 70c. If we manage to keep our cpu cool enough say within the 40c ranges, we could expect to run this similar voltage at 20x multi.

# of P-States 7
P-State FID 0x1A - VID 0x0A - IDD 13 (21.00x - 1.425 V)
P-State FID 0x19 - VID 0x0B - IDD 13 (20.50x - 1.412 V)
P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x0E - IDD 12 (20.00x - 1.375 V)
P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x16 - IDD 10 (17.00x - 1.275 V)
P-State FID 0xC - VID 0x1F - IDD 8 (14.00x - 1.162 V)
P-State FID 0x5 - VID 0x29 - IDD 5 (10.50x - 1.037 V)
P-State FID 0x10C - VID 0x33 - IDD 4 (7.00x - 0.912 V)

There is a screen shot somewhere with this chip at 4.6ghz running only 2 cores under a TEC. This 4.6ghz was had at only 1.272v This Pstate here --> P-State FID 0x12 - VID 0x16 - IDD 10 (17.00x - 1.275 V)

It was running only two cores, because as a quad hexa or octa core cpu it would heat soak the TEC and over heat, so for testing and some fun, I wanted to stay frozen to exemplify how chilling can effectively reduce core voltage and drastically raise overclocks. again for testing and fun, not for daily use. This some times helps me to understand the processor and figure out where the pinch points are at running with different numbers of cores activated at x clocks and temps.

Now the TEC was renedered useless for even benchmarking past 5.4ghz and 1.464v as teh TEC got heat soaked at just 2 cores.

The max cpu-z'able speed turned out to be 5.6ghz on 1.560V which is actually pretty decent for this type of cooling in my opinion. And running only two cores even, this cpu starts getting fast at 5ghz and beyond. Again, not practical, but showing how temps play a HUGE role in you guys daily overclocks.

Now it is also possible for a processor to actually be ok with warmer temps. It's not often, but it happens. I've seen guys from here and there boasting their cpu was over TDP limits and they where happy with it the cpu was good to last so on and so forth, but wasn't a short time later these people would vanish. Not from being told that's not the way to do it, but more so likely the processor was literally cooked to death.

So that being said, here's a chip that posted 4.6ghz at only 1.272V. (is indeed .003 under pstate voltage :p )

Attachments

• FX-8350 2 cores X 4.6ghz 1.2750v .png
    FX-8350 2 cores X 4.6ghz 1.2750v .png
    138.7 KB · Views: 128

I am actually running my 8320 at exactly the same specs 4GHz @ 1.25v but my HT is @ 2600 and Mem is @ 1071. I am using aftermarket cooling however, which isn't much better than stock.

I am actually running my 8320 at exactly the same specs 4GHz @ 1.25v but my HT is @ 2600 and Mem is @ 1071. I am using aftermarket cooling however, which isn't much better than stock.

Funny spoke with some one today about (example) H212 vs a stock opteron heat pipe cooler. Simply stated the heat pipe cooler with a simple fan mod can work wonders for an air cooling individual and save the $$ for aftermarket air and save up towards a decent AIO such as the H100i for example.

Disregard that, I forgot 8350's came stock at 4.0ghz.

It still can be too low of a voltage. How long are you running P95 for? Are you running blend or small FFT?

Disregard that, I forgot 8350's came stock at 4.0ghz.

It still can be too low of a voltage. How long are you running P95 for? Are you running blend or small FFT?

P-State FID 0x18 - VID 0x0E - IDD 12 (20.00x - 1.375 V)

Well core temp does report a VID of 1.2750. so i assume this is just @ 20x200 ?

But i am just amazed how hot it already is at this voltage. finding it a bid hard to believe my cooling is already insufficient. but i did order 5 scythe slipstream 1900. so that should cool when i get them.

will also try to see at wich speed it still posts.

Well core temp does report a VID of 1.2750. so i assume this is just @ 20x200 ?

But i am just amazed how hot it already is at this voltage. finding it a bid hard to believe my cooling is already insufficient. but i did order 5 scythe slipstream 1900. so that should cool when i get them.

will also try to see at wich speed it still posts.

I actually took an old heatsink from my last build as an interim till I decide to get something better(probly water). This is what I currently have. Its not the best but is better than the stock cooler, as it comes with a 120mm 1400RPM fan. If the additional fan doesn't help definitely look into a new cooler. I really am surprised the cooling solution you have is essentially ineffective compared to what I have at nearly the exact same settings.

@ShrimpBrime I wish I could fine a way to effectively use TECs on current tech as they are pretty much rendered useless as you mentioned.

after 2.5H of prime 95 blend it appears to be stable at these settings.

25H_Prime95_45ghz.JPG

this kinda looks like my max if you look at the temp and voltage.

and FYI : it booted at 4.8 ghz with 1.2750 volts. (didnt last long though)

If you're hitting low 60s on P95 at this low of a voltage your cooler is either not working/ bad mount or you don't have enough air in that case. You say it crashes while playing a game? Now add in the hot air from your vid card and it's suffocating. A good quick test is to run with the side door off and see how it affects your temps. Do the same test again but add the pics directly to the post please. Do that under advanced and use the paperclip.

If you're hitting low 60s on P95 at this low of a voltage your cooler is either not working/ bad mount or you don't have enough air in that case. You say it crashes while playing a game? Now add in the hot air from your vid card and it's suffocating. A good quick test is to run with the side door off and see how it affects your temps. Do the same test again but add the pics directly to the post please. Do that under advanced and use the paperclip.

That's a very good possibility, @op I don't think it was discussed yet but how many and what size fans are you using for intake on the case?

this was with the side door off...

about a 4 degree difference without door

200mm intake cm megaflow
200mm exhaust cm megaflow
120mm cm exhaust.

The game i was referring to is very single threaded. it hasnt crashed in any other game yet.

Edit : Pc crashed again with this game. temp 46 Degrees.

Last edited:
WellI'm not a big fan of "big fans" they just don't move enough air. I would suggest that you make sure the case fans are cycling up while your gaming. But this almost seems to be more of a software issue if it only happens playing minecraft. Have you tried changing drivers? Did you reinstall windows when you swapped out motherboards?

Last edited:
Those pics won't show up for me at work SmikeCraft, could you attach them directly?

Am I reading that correctly? You have 4 , 2Gb sticks of what Kingston value ram

Back