• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Update Crap-a-damn

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We'll with that being the case find someone that has some ram the doesn't sit as high. I know the other day I seen a thread that had a few different ones for a decent price. Not sure the speed or size though.

Shall I just put it like that then?

We'll seeing as I had a cheap case I modded my case and drilled vent holes in the top to help push the heat out. But I'm sure some of the guys that are more knowledgable than I am will chime in. Jonah and mandrake know a lot more than I do.

We'll with that being the case find someone that has some ram the doesn't sit as high. I know the other day I seen a thread that had a few different ones for a decent price. Not sure the speed or size though.

I got a spare 2GB Stick sitting here doing nothing I could put in but don't really wanna be dropping down to 6GB as my computer started life as a 16GB, then went to 12GB, then 10GB and now 8GB, I'm meant to be upgrading not downgrading, lol.

If it had good contact with the CPU beforehand go with that in my opinion. If you are still having cooling issues swap ram with shorter sticks to make sure you have good contact.

Yes that's much better JethroJay, I had a look at all your parts and I see that cooler won't turn front to back with AMD, which my revision 1 did. Like Ray says if you can return that ram and get some low profile stuff you'd be further ahead in the cooling department. If the cooler hangs up on the ram you can't get good contact with the CPU so heat is not being transfered to the Heatsink.

Yes that's much better JethroJay, I had a look at all your parts and I see that cooler won't turn front to back with AMD, which my revision 1 did. Like Ray says if you can return that ram and get some low profile stuff you'd be further ahead in the cooling department. If the cooler hangs up on the ram you can't get good contact with the CPU so heat is not being transfered to the Heatsink.

Hence why you don't want to space it out for your clearance. And it also only takes a small amount of thermal compound.

Okay guys, I've sorted it out now, it's now running at 37 - 38c idling, I ran prime on it for 15 minutes and it didn't even go over 78c, OH YEAH!! I also rotated cooler round 180 degrees to mount a different way, took the fan off the heat sink and then it cleared the ram (plastic was holding it up) so now the fan is sitting on top of the heatsink pushing the air DOWN through the heatsink fins towards the graphics card (my Graphics card is now running 4c cooler, LOL)

If that's not a typo and you're really hitting 78c then there's still a problem . You don't want the core temp over 60 for any real length of time.

Back