• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updated BIOS settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

So I updated the BIOS on my pc and it was successful but it gave me a message. It reads..

An M.2 PCIE device has been detected in the M.2_2 socket.
PCIE bandwidth on the M.2_2 socket can be set to X2 or X4. Default X2 configuration shares bandwidth on the SATA_56 ports.
To improve performance go to BIOS/advanced/onboard device configuration and switch from X2 to X4.
After setting up intel (R) Optane Memory or the RAID configuration was built, SATA mode selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues.

I switched the M.2_2 socket from X2 to X4 already.

Does SATA_56 ports mean the 5th and 6th ports?

I was not aware I set up an intel (R) Optane Memory or RAID configuration. What does that part mean?

Also I cannot find in the BIOS where I can switch to RAID mode to avoid these so called unknown issues.

Help me out here guys, please.

So I updated the BIOS on my pc and it was successful but it gave me a message. It reads..

An M.2 PCIE device has been detected in the M.2_2 socket.
PCIE bandwidth on the M.2_2 socket can be set to X2 or X4. Default X2 configuration shares bandwidth on the SATA_56 ports.
To improve performance go to BIOS/advanced/onboard device configuration and switch from X2 to X4.
After setting up intel (R) Optane Memory or the RAID configuration was built, SATA mode selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues.

I switched the M.2_2 socket from X2 to X4 already.

Does SATA_56 ports mean the 5th and 6th ports? I think so. Are you even using those two ports? Often they are controlled by a separate chip than ports 0-4. The Marvel controller is a popular secondary controller. Not sure if they still do that on newer motherboards.

I was not aware I set up an intel (R) Optane Memory or RAID configuration. What does that part mean? I think you can ignore it if you are not using RAID or Optane.

Also I cannot find in the BIOS where I can switch to RAID mode to avoid these so called unknown issues. You will find it in the section where SATA is configured. Usually, there are two or three options: AHCI (which is typically used with modern hard drives and SSDs), RAID and IDE (or Legacy).

Help me out here guys, please.

I'm not using the 5th or 6th ports. Not using RAID or Optane, but considering using IRST if it will boost performance any.
I couldn't find anything about SATA, AHCI, or RAID in the BIOS.

This information is in your manual. :)

SATA 5/6 is SATA ports 5 and 6. Refer to the manual or look on your board for which ones those are. This is quite typical, the sharing of bandwidth for M.2 slots.

The message you are referecning is informational, not specific to your setup.

This information is in your manual. :)

SATA 5/6 is SATA ports 5 and 6. Refer to the manual or look on your board for which ones those are. This is quite typical, the sharing of bandwidth for M.2 slots.

The message you are referecning is informational, not specific to your setup.

I had a similar problem with a ASUS z270-a motherboard and the same message. My drive was in the M.2_1 socket and I found that the setting in onboard devices config for the m.2_1 was set for auto. changed this to pcie mode boot worked ok until I remove the power cable when it automatically reset to auto and reverted to the error message. Found this being caused by a faulty BIOS BATTERY! Eureka! all is well.
Hope this helps

Back