• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating Desktop Need advice on Motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Creadoris

Registered
Hello,

I am in the process of updating my wife's computer(gaming).

I have chosen to go with a AMD Phenom II X4 3.20GHz 2MB Cache AM3 95W.
I have a GTX 280 in reserve which I plan to use, and I also intend to purchase 4gb of DDR 3.

My question is, what motherboard should I go with?
It needs to obviously support the AM3 socket with the addition of onboard network and audio.
I was leaning toward Gigabyte or ASUS.
Looking for bang for my buck really whilst not breaking the bank

Anyone have any model suggestions?

Thanks

Creadoris.

Last edited:
"It needs to obviously support the AM2 socket with the addition of onboard network and audio."
I think you need to double check your processor.
You need a socket AM3 motherboard for that cpu, not a AM2 one!

A typo, I meant AM3. I'll edit it.

"It needs to obviously support the AM2 socket with the addition of onboard network and audio."

I think you'll find that processor requires a AM3 socket motherboard not a AM2 one!

Sorry for the weird posting, glad you caught it.

You might want to think about going with a AM3+ motherboard that way you would be able to upgrade to a newer Bulldozer processor down the road a bit.

Sorry for the weird posting, glad you caught it.

You might want to think about going with a AM3+ motherboard that way you would be able to upgrade to a newer Bulldozer processor down the road a bit.

Pointless. It will be at least another 2 years before this computer receives another upgrade at which point I am sure the bulldozer will superseded by some other technological marvel.

I am simply after a a motherboard that will effectively support AM3, have the other things I mentioned and is reasonably priced for its capabilities.

Back