• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating Drivers on New Rigs - What's crucial?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GearingMass

I built a rig a few weeks ago for my family, and now I'm about to build a rig for myself this week.

I'm still completely lost on what drivers need to be downloaded and updated with a new build. There's like LAN, chipset, bios, GPU, audio, SSD, USB, etc.

I have no idea which ones are crucial (functionality/speed crippled until updated), and which ones are like "only needed if you experience problems."

It seems like there are a thousand of them, and I can hardly sort through them all, some I haven't even heard of before.

If someone can explain the proper driver update process for a new build, I would be eternally grateful.

You pretty much summed it up. When I set up a build I get the PC to an initial boot with minimal software on the boot drive (if it’s a new build, not a cloned HDD swap). Once I can get online I update everything you listed. Generally the MB chipset drivers are what I update first. Then I work my way out, i.e., update any peripherals last such as graphics drivers, other daughter cards. OS updates are last.

Always go to the manufacturer’s site for the drivers; avoid secondary download sites whenever possible. You will more likely get the latest revisions that way.

on a new build i do like robert, i go and update all drivers right off the bat.
I only update the bios if i feel the need to.

In newer operating systems (7/8), you won't need to download most drivers for the system to function. I usually grab the network driver in case Windows doesn't have one after installing. From there, I install chipset, graphic, and sound software/drivers.

You can check the Device Manager to see what drivers are missing, as well.

The problem I'm running into is a lack of clarity.
for example, these are the options for chipset downloads from Asus for the motherboard:

Chipset Options.jpg

Neither is a driver! Does one install the other, or does one instal the driver and the other is just something "extra" or what?

The options for SATA downloads are even more confusing, with SATA controller, Intel smart connect, intel rapid start, intel AHCI/RAID driver path, etc :confused:

The top one looks like it is an install that puts the drivers in place for you. At least, that is how I read it from my personal experience of owning Asus boards forever.

Back