• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating from 1607> 1809 > 1903

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hotrod2go

Registered
Hi,
I have a problem with an older Intel system, socket 1156 with a Xeon processor in installing windows 10.

I'll try to keep this as simple as possible.

System is still in good working order because it has been stress tested with p95 blend for several hrs @ stock settings in the 1607 version with no issues whatsoever, because it was in storage for 6+ yrs. Also the SSD has been chkdsk with /r switch & all good.

First install was done with 2016 retail USB key, hence the 1607 version. I tried to do the install from the latest 1903 version with a bootable DVD, but I get to the point of seeing the windows icon on screen & can hear the optical drive ( a new unit) loading the files, then it gets to the end of this (green LED on optical drive no longer indicating action) & system locks up. That is the numlock key on keyboard is frozen & see no spinning wheel dots that you usually see when windows loads in it's usual form (hope you know what I mean).

I have investigated this problem on the MS site & they suggested running the update assistant. I did this, it goes through it's thing, get it to reboot & the old problem is back again - that is, the loading of the windows icon & then freezes!

Investigating this further & MS recommended the "wu10" tool to fix update problems, so once again... go through the process, it does it's thing & informs me several problems are identified, so I get it to fix this of course.
All good it then reports...

As I'm typing this, the machine on another desk is downloading 1809.... AGAIN! it'd done this b4, says it needs a reboot to finalise the install & then... back to the old problem AGAIN of a corrupted install because of the freezing system when the windows logo is the only item on the screen....

Rebooting, it goes on as normal, log in & a check of the version reveals 1607... :confused::rolleyes:

I have also disconnected unnecessary devices & only have devices for basic functionality ie.. Keyboard with PS/2 connection & one USB mouse, nothing else but the monitor of course.

Also have another old AM3 system that got installed with 1903 version from the same bootable DVD I mentioned earlier in this post & it went fine, all working well. So I know my install DVD is not mucked up & working properly.

Any helpful advice on this challenging problem would be most appreciated & sorry for the long post but hope the scenario makes sense.

Fresh install with fresh install media. I really do not like upgrading an upgrade to an upgrade. Too many problems can happen.

Agree with ED that a clean install from scratch is by far the best way to go. So if you have installation media and product keys for your apps, back up your data and go with a clean install. You will save yourself headaches and maybe even time in doing so.

Check the disk health with CrystalDiskInfo. Check the RAM with memtest86.

Do this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Have you tried making an installer with a flash drive? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Already done Memtest86+ & even in windows with memtest64 (150+ loops) all fine, no problems with RAM. I have also downloaded the USB installer for 1903 & same result in the end as doing it from bootable DVD. That is the system just hangs or locks up with windows icon on monitor & nothing else happening.

Fresh install with fresh install media. I really do not like upgrading an upgrade to an upgrade. Too many problems can happen.

Done fresh install from the beginning & even tried changing sata mode from IDE to AHCI but still get the same problem with being stuck on 1607.

Agree with ED that a clean install from scratch is by far the best way to go. So if you have installation media and product keys for your apps, back up your data and go with a clean install. You will save yourself headaches and maybe even time in doing so.

As a last ditch attempt, I have another 1156 board here from diff vendor. I'll try swapping the hardware over & attempt again but have always approached these types of problems with fresh install 1st & foremost.

Trying to avoid throwing more $ at new board & cpu combo for this rig as its's use is primarily only as a media centre.
But thanks for the above suggestions from you guys, all the best! :)

We're not talking about a fresh install beginning with Windows 10 1607. We're talking about creating an installer using the Windows 10 1903, which is the current Windows 10 version.

You do realize don't you that once you have installed and activated Windows 10 on a machine you can reinstall it at any time and it will automatically activate as long as you'e using the original motherboard. You can't upgrade from say Home to Pro but as long as you stay with the same product you should be able to do a clean install starting with the latest release and have it automatically activate.

Last edited:
We're not talking about a fresh install beginning with Windows 10 1607. We're talking about creating an installer using the Windows 10 1903, which is the current Windows 10 version.

You do realize don't you that once you have installed and activated Windows 10 on a machine you can reinstall it at any time and it will automatically activate as long as you'e using the original motherboard. You can't upgrade from say Home to Pro but as long as you stay with the same product you should be able to do a clean install starting with the latest release and have it automatically activate.

Yes, tried the USB installer with 1903 as downloaded from MS site. Same issue still persists with that 1st mobo as indicated in my 1st post on this topic. I know a digital license activates automatically for windows activation, & it worked in changing motherboards too however they both still same 1156 technology, not sure if that makes a difference but all is clear with activation on this other board.

SUCCESS with changing mobo & running the bootable DVD with 1903 on it... happy days are here again! :clap: Everything completely up to date from MS.
Now to fiddle with the OC potential. :D

Back