• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Updating to W10 From W8.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers
Just updated to a new build with a retail Windows Home Pro 8.1.
Before taking the offer for the free update to Windows 10, two questions:

1. Do I need to update to the last W8.1 service pack before doing so?
2. Is Windows 10 worth the free update? I ask because there has been
much discussion both ways about Windows 10.

You should do a quick install to cloud register your machine for Windows 10 - giving you the opportunity to install Windows 10 on that machine without a key in the future.

After you install Windows 10 and activate it, you can then go back to Windows 8 or not, based on your own personal opinion.
But if you do go back to Windows 8 - you still have the *option* of free Windows 10 in the future.
If you don't install 10 just once before July 2016 - no free option.

Any version of 7 or 8 with legal legitimate keys, regardless of Service Packs qualifies you for the free upgrade.

Personally, I'm a fan of 10, and wasn't a fan of 8. Windows 10 feels like an updated Windows 7, which IMO is a good thing. You have more or less the same interface you're used to (with a start menu, taskbar, etc), but under the hood it's been updated to take advantage of the latest hardware and standards (UEFI + NVMe SSD = super fast boot times!).

In windows 10 there are two splash screens when you boot up, when I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 it is 50% slower in boot up speed.

Just updated to a new build with a retail Windows Home Pro 8.1.
Before taking the offer for the free update to Windows 10, two questions:

1. Do I need to update to the last W8.1 service pack before doing so?
2. Is Windows 10 worth the free update? I ask because there has been
much discussion both ways about Windows 10.
To answer the questions...

1. Nope. Now, it may update needed things for you, but I wouldn't bother to fully update W8 and then upgrade to 10. Let it do the needed work for you.
2. I believe so, yes. I have had very few issues with it. But then again, Im a true missionary install kind of guy, as are most users. The ones that seem to have the most trouble are the ones that dig under the hood and customize this, that and the other thing which can get one into trouble.

There is a HUGE thread about it with some tips and tricks. I would look at that thread for dozens of already existing opinions for a good reference. :)

before you do the fresh install after doing the upgrade... id make sure and pull my serial from the os just incase something goes wrong, there is a tool that you can use and it takes about 1 second to pull your serial for you.

To answer the questions...

1. Nope. Now, it may update needed things for you, but I wouldn't bother to fully update W8 and then upgrade to 10. Let it do the needed work for you.
2. I believe so, yes. I have had very few issues with it. But then again, Im a true missionary install kind of guy, as are most users. The ones that seem to have the most trouble are the ones that dig under the hood and customize this, that and the other thing which can get one into trouble.

There is a HUGE thread about it with some tips and tricks. I would look at that thread for dozens of already existing opinions for a good reference. :)

This ^^^^

The W8.1 update for my retail is HUGE so this saves me the trouble and I'm not
talented enough to get under the Windows hood to do much tweaking other than
what the OS provides with an install. With the link ATM (I knew it was here somewhere)
I think I'll update to W10 with confidence and call it a day.

before you do the fresh install after doing the upgrade... id make sure and pull my serial from the os just incase something goes wrong, there is a tool that you can use and it takes about 1 second to pull your serial for you.

Are you saying my W8.1 retail key won't work with the free W10 install over it?

It will work. That is how it works. Be sure your 8.1 install is activated. Done.

Once you installed w10, it should activate automatically. Once it does, it should activate on subsequent installs when it polls the server with your unique machine id.

His post was a backup to that just in case.

It will work. That is how it works. Be sure your 8.1 install is activated. Done.

Once you installed w10, it should activate automatically. Once it does, it should activate on subsequent installs when it polls the server with your unique machine id.

I asked because I have my key card with my retail W8.1 DVD and assumed that would be carried over to W10.

Edit: Done, thank God for SSD's! :rofl:

Last edited:

i was under the impression it stored it in the [eufi] bios like windows 8.1 hmm.

Honestly, I wouldn't bet my life on that. I just recall C6 mentioning that in the huge windows thread somewhere?

You should do a quick install to cloud register your machine for Windows 10 - giving you the opportunity to install Windows 10 on that machine without a key in the future.

After you install Windows 10 and activate it, you can then go back to Windows 8 or not, based on your own personal opinion.
But if you do go back to Windows 8 - you still have the *option* of free Windows 10 in the future.
If you don't install 10 just once before July 2016 - no free option.

Any version of 7 or 8 with legal legitimate keys, regardless of Service Packs qualifies you for the free upgrade.

C6,

Windows 8.1 (to me) was "eh." Windows 10, with the little time I've had it installed, is friendlier (IMO).
I won't be going back.............

Or in this thread, LOL!

RT, correctly installed Classic Shell in this way removes 99% of average user's complaints about Windows 8:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/752525-How-do-you-install-classic-shell-in-Win-8-1

Windows 10 will have a longer end of life and the issues with it do not affect everyone.
I am also sticking with Windows 10 despite minor issues that affect me:

1. Unlike on Windows 8 or earlier, you cannot install any font under Windows 10 unless your Windows Firewall is turned ON, even if you have a better third-party Firewall running and turned Windows Firewall OFF for that reason.

2. Unlike on Windows 8 or earlier, you cannot delete $DATA hidden alternate streams on Windows 10. Most people don't even know what that is. I do.

3. Unlike on Windows 8 or earlier, all updates (even optional Windows updates and [Non-windows-OS] hardware driver updates) begin installing the *moment* you check for updates without you being able to choose to only install critical Windows operating system updates only.

Good info... but RT takes his in small, relevant, bites (referencing #1 and #2). :p (hehehe Dave :))

and I'm not talented enough to get under the Windows hood to do much tweaking other than
what the OS provides with an install

I am sure its good for those that do however. :thup:

Last edited:
I jiggled around in all the settings after upgrading Unit#1 to WinTen from 8.1 and settled in for the usual 'oops, what's that' moments. But WinTen has failed me so far in that none of those moments has occured. I subsequently upgraded Units 2 (8.1) & 3 (7), networked, synced them up, and remain issueless. I also did some repairs for friends, updated them to WinTen while doing so. No issues. Maybe it's just me, but the thread ATM linked to has quite the trove of insights, hacks, settings and discussions to keep you out of trouble. Overall, WinTen has been pretty painless, as painless as Win7 was. Hate to disapoint the haters. Merry Christmas.

Back