• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade advice needed! New GPU, or New System all together?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clock_Work

Registered
Hi so I have some questions for someone more knowledgeable about hardware. I have a pretty odd processor (yes I meant odd not old although it is aged a little). I have an intel i7 3820 running at stock 3.6 ghz. I know its a lower end CPU on an enthusiast socket and although I have no complaints about the CPU itself, I'm kind of afraid that it bottlenecks my system in certain games.

My system:

CPU: Intel i7 3820 3.60 Ghz
GPU: EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 2GB GDDR5
MOBO: ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79
RAM: G.SKILL TridentX Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 2400
SSD: Corsair Force Series GS 2.5" 128GB
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Z

There are several issues with my system. First and foremost being the motherboard. It absolutely sucks. It is very unstable. I get BSOD's (not so much anymore with windows 10), USB ports don't work with certain types of mice, and sometimes when my PC boots the USB port power shuts on and off in a constant loop. Like someone is playing with a light switch. My keyboard, mouse, headset, webcam, all the lights on them constantly turn on and off until I reset the CMOS. I tried flashing the BIOS and contact Asrock support but the problem is too random to replicate at will. They just tell me to push the CMOS button and deal with it.

The second issue is the CPU. Its not very good. The memory controller on it sucks. I can't overclock my ram past 1600 and have my system POST. Even though the ram is 2400 capable. Plus its an aged architecture (Sandy Bridge-E). I would've upgraded to a higher end 2011 one but since my motherboard sucks so much I didn't want to deal with it.

My plan right now is to eventually (when I can afford it) to start fresh and build a new PC with hopefully less issues. I have a better idea right now as to what components I want and I will plan better next time to put together components that like each other more. My question is as follows:

Until I can afford a better PC, should I purchase a GTX 980/970 to get my PC ready for Fallout 4 and other games I am looking forward to? Or is that a waste of money? I am worried about my CPU bottle-necking my system as it is. Certain games such as Rust I only get about 40-50 FPS even though my GPU is at 40% load when running it. The boost clock doesn't even kick in. Now i understand the game is still in Alpha and is very poorly optimized but other people with better CPU's and GTX 680 are getting a solid 60-80 FPS. So I can only blame my CPU for that. Is it worth getting a 980, or is it better to wait until I can save enough money and jump into Skylake and Nvidia's Pascal with a brand new build?

PS. I'm planning on the new build being a year or so from now. Will my GPU/CPU be too old by then?

To be absolutely blunt, a "one year" wait time for a build is both impossible to predict and also not practical. Whats expensive now, may be much cheaper then; something else might come out that changes the meta, etc etc.

I would wait and do a full system over haul when youre ready; not reasonable to attempt to predict the future at this time.

Well I understand that. I was more asking if my CPU will bottleneck my GPU as I think it will if I upgrade to 980? Sorry I wasn't super clear as to what the main question was. I know we can't predict hardware and performance even with early announcements but so far Nvidia and Intel have had very predictable "bang for buck" pricing models. I was planning on buying whatever fits in my budget/expectations at that time. For example a 980 equivalent in price/performance for the Pascal series (probably 1080).

Im saying if you spend the money on 980, it might not help you too much. Where next year, pascal will be released, and perhaps some new amd stuff that may be more prudent for the same cost you'd spend on a new gpu now.

Sounds like you might have other things going on, or might have to live with 50 fps.

the ultimate answer -> a gpu upgrade most certainly will give you benefits. If your cpu is really holding you back on a gtx 770, then it really wont matter how powerful your upgrade gpu would be. You can test this out by overclocking your GPU and/or cpu and running a benchmark and noting where your improvements lay. For example if you overclock your GPU and nothing happens, well that narrows it down.

That was a lot if text to end up with the question above!

The 3820 is good. It will handle a 980 just fine. Overclock the cpu.

As far as your motherboard issues, have you flashed to tbe latest bios to see if that helps?

Im saying if you spend the money on 980, it might not help you too much. Where next year, pascal will be released, and perhaps some new amd stuff that may be more prudent for the same cost you'd spend on a new gpu now.

Sounds like you might have other things going on, or might have to live with 50 fps.

the ultimate answer -> a gpu upgrade most certainly will give you benefits. If your cpu is really holding you back on a gtx 770, then it really wont matter how powerful your upgrade gpu would be. You can test this out by overclocking your GPU and/or cpu and running a benchmark and noting where your improvements lay. For example if you overclock your GPU and nothing happens, well that narrows it down.

I don't really have any other things going on. Just got a new job in fact. haha. I just didn't think that getting a 980 would really be worth it if they are promising 80%+ improvement on the next GPU generation. But yeah I think I'll take your advice and overclock everything.

That was a lot if text to end up with the question above!

The 3820 is good. It will handle a 980 just fine. Overclock the cpu.

As far as your motherboard issues, have you flashed to tbe latest bios to see if that helps?

Haha its true. I was more or less looking for an opinion of my current CPU/GPU configuration and what to do to stretch it out a year with acceptable performance. Yes I have flashed my bios and it solved some issues, it created others. One of the issues it created was random mini freezes even when just sitting in desktop with everything on idle. It has a similar effect to what used to happen right before a BSOD back during windows XP. Whatever sound was playing would freeze and make an obnoxious buzzing right before restart. The buzzing and freezing happens without the BSOD. And yes I have tried reinstalling my OS... twice.

I just found an identical to mine GTX770 on Ebay for 145 dollars. I'm thinking of buying it and SLI'ing and just Overclocking my CPU. Not much just to 3.8-4.0ghz. I have a H100i cooler and a 1000W corsair PSU coupled with all Noctua fans. I think that will provide enough cooling/power to make up for the extra card and overclock right?

Last edited:
Back