• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade Advice....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks. Let me look. If I go the SLI route it probably won’t be a 7700k because while that chip will work on my board I’m still left with no SLI. So I’m thinking it’s the 7700k and a 1080ti after selling my 1070ti cards. Or it’s get a new mobo/cpu/ram and try the SLI and still maybe trade up GFX cards if I can do it free.

At that point I think I’d have to find a game to learn to enjoy.

How to talk my wife into the rest of the new computer I have to build now lol.... and still be able to get my new bandsaw for the garage.

I might just hold off for a bit. It's all really tempting. I don't think I want to spend as much just to get a good benchmark so I'll probably see what's available in the 1080ti market and see what I can get for my two cards. I got them for a steal so it doesn't break my heart. I might look at a 7700k anyway just for grins.

Just a thought, if you're mainly doing 1080p, there's nothing wrong with a 1070Ti. It can easily handle most games at 1080p. Sure the 1080Ti will give you more power when you're playing on your 4k TV, but that sounds more like a rare occasion, as well as more for VR. Guess it depends on what those possibilities are worth.

You could also consider the lower budget upgrade path of selling one 1070Ti and putting that money towards a 7700k

Just a thought, if you're mainly doing 1080p, there's nothing wrong with a 1070Ti. It can easily handle most games at 1080p. Sure the 1080Ti will give you more power when you're playing on your 4k TV, but that sounds more like a rare occasion, as well as more for VR. Guess it depends on what those possibilities are worth.

You could also consider the lower budget upgrade path of selling one 1070Ti and putting that money towards a 7700k

That's not a bad idea. I've spent the last few minutes doing some shopping.. and of course I keep returning to the 8700k when I should be focused only on the 7700k. I can't imagine needing these cards to do much on 4k in the near future. Everything I've done so far has looked great on my ultrawide and on my TV. VR is a real possibility in the future so I'd have to keep that in mind. I'm not too familiar with it all. With that in mind... I'm wondering if two cards are better should 2 player VR become a thing in the future. Or would I already be upgrading to a different card by the time that actually becomes a thing?

Back