• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade h100i fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeffs42885

Registered
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone here has upgraded the fans on the Corsair h100i. It's working fine for me, but I have read so much about these noctua fans.

I read in some older posts that the Noctua NF-F12 was one of the best fans on the market at the time. I think the post was from 2017 or so.

I'm running 6 LL120 fans (bling bling..) on a commander..2 of them are on the h100i as a push pull. The stock h100i fans pushing from the font of my case.

Both front fans set to extreme - I am at 1000RPM (Which seems low??)
Pump set to extreme
LL120 case fans set to extreme - around 1500-1600 (Also seems low..)

Ryzen 2700x overclocked to 4.3 @ 1.46, idle is 27* - 29*..Prime 95/Cinebench upwards of 65*. No issues, just want optimal performance as I just built this thing.

The LL120 top speed is 1500rpm so you're where they should be. The Corsair SP120's that came with your H100i are rated up to 2700rpm's so those are running low.

If I'm reading this right then you have mis-matched fans on the rad (2x SP120's and 2x LL120's). I would recommend pairing them up instead. The slower fans will only hinder the performance of the higher speed fans. You'd be best to go with 4x SP120's as they have more than twice the static pressure of the LL120's.

EDIT: This mis-match 'could' be the reason for the SP120's running slower.

If you want quiet you could go with the Noctua otherwise I would go with the Corsair SP's as they have a higher static pressure. You can always control the fan speed so they are quieter when not under a heavy load.

I am curious whats going on with these SP120's. There are multiple versions and none of them match the specs of the H100i. This is the closest one I could find.

I went with the Corsair ML120 Pro fans. I found them similar performance, quieter, and still bling bling.

the obvious budget fix would be to get another pair of either of the corsair fans you like best. the rgb ll120s look sweet imo. running push/pull your looking at $100+ for f-12s. if you want to dress them up your going to spend another $45-50 on phanteks halos. if price is no option and you want the best, noctuas are great fans but your corsairs arent all that bad either...will you see a difference in temps? maybe :D

I just ordered a set of the SP120 PWM performance.

I can sacrifice the bling, as they are on the back of the radiator and you can’t really see them anyways. Once I swap them I’ll report back

I replaced the Corsair fans on my h115i extreme w/ silent wings 3 high speed by be quiet! I think the temps were roughly the same but the noise level was a large difference.

So, heres an update. I decided to play around with the radiator placement. Since I took a mental health day from work (software..so why not screw with hardware...haha)

this is seriously just a mockup. The radiator is currently VELCRO'ed (lolz..) to the side here. I am going to keep the side panel off, and see how it performs for a bit. Now my next decision

Use 3x120 front SP120 corsairs, or add 2 more LL120's, to keep the RGB effect I have going for me, which I LOVE! I am going to monitor my temps for a bit and see if it works the way I want it to. I am not sure I can justify the $99 for the 3 fans + controller, but I could always sell one I guess. The controller itself is impossible to find..meh..

If it works, I am going to cut the side panel of my case and throw some mesh filters on. I am really liking this so far.

Airflow is usually top priority but when it comes to mod life, looks sometimes takes over. I like to use incense sticks to see my airflow as well as monitoring my negative/positive pressure inside of my case at idle & full load.

Seeing your creative juices flowing is great!! I know w/ the video card upright people tend to have airflow issues keeping them cool (unless a water block is on them). Have you had any temp issues w/ your card?

Seeing your creative juices flowing is great!! I know w/ the video card upright people tend to have airflow issues keeping them cool (unless a water block is on them). Have you had any temp issues w/ your card?

I was going to ask the same Q:.

Airflow is usually top priority but when it comes to mod life, looks sometimes takes over. I like to use incense sticks to see my airflow as well as monitoring my negative/positive pressure inside of my case at idle & full load.

I have not had any issues with cooling. I havent really pushed the GPU much yet. I am considering getting something "Blingy", a different 2060, or even a 2070. I've been talking to newegg about returning and they are giving me the run around.

So I understand that these LL120 fans are obviously not optimized for an asutek radiator, but per Icue, They are only running at 750-800RPM.

Meanwhile, all my other case fans are flowing at upwards of 1750

I have the following:

4 x LL120 (Running off the Commander)
2 x LL120, mounted on the radiator (Running off the connectors that come off the block of the cooler
2 x Front fans, the ones that came with the corsair, running around 1900-2000 RPM..

Per corsair, the LL120s are around 43 CFM, and the fans that come with the cooler are 75, so i guess that explains my issue..?

If this is normal, fine..One thing I considered was just plugging the two radiator fans into a splitter, and getting max power, but not worrying about monitoring RPMs.

Thoughts?

-----------------------

Edited @ 3:26..

I changed the radiator fans to channel 5/6 of the commander, now 15-1600RPM...Not sure what was going on there.

The front fans are hooked to the connection from the block, this is def. wrong, icue is reading them at 900-1000. Plugged into commander, 1900-2000...I think I just need to power these from the board or something.

Last edited:
Part of how a more silent fan is advertised is to reduce the RPM, therefore the noise which would account for your last post. Like JR, I added ML120s to my rads and other mounts and although I'm hard of hearing, others that have experienced the case running full tilt boogie say they can barely hear it. Push/pull on your rads will reduce the temps noticeably; specific numbers depend on what fans @ what speed on which rad.

Part of how a more silent fan is advertised is to reduce the RPM, therefore the noise which would account for your last post. Like JR, I added ML120s to my rads and other mounts and although I'm hard of hearing, others that have experienced the case running full tilt boogie say they can barely hear it. Push/pull on your rads will reduce the temps noticeably; specific numbers depend on what fans @ what speed on which rad.

This is an excellent idea. I have the room to do it.

If I am going to do a push pull, I need to get fans that are the EXACT same spec, correct?

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

These look very similar, static pressure, 40.6 CFM compared to 43, same RPM. I am probably going to give these a whirl.

if you mix match fans in a push/pull you can easily increase your temps rather than decrease them... I learned that the hard way.

Back