• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bigtwinlvr

Registered
I got my old machine up and running with a new hard drive, however Im facing upgrades for gaming. Asus P4P with a 3.0E in it, 1 gig of pc3500, and an nvidia 5600ultra, fed with an antec 530w psu. Looked and its rated at 24a on the 12v rail. It looks like going over the nvidia 7800 in agp with this setup is a waste if Ive read right. Seen this mobo http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813157107 , and made me think of a new option. Kind of keeping an open mind to this. Im currently playing some SplinterCell as well as Vanguard SoH. No plans for vista anytime soon I hope.

The Asrock can be a good choice to eventually get you fully upgraded but you may be able to do it all at once also. Your video is your major killer right now. If you can only throw a $100 or so here and there at the new system its prolly a solid choice, but don't expect to much from it. If you can get the board and then find something along the lines of a 7900GS/GT in the $120 range you'll notice some solid performance increases. Check classifieds here and at AT, I got a nice deal on a 7900GT here this week for my second system.

If you can put together $400-$500 you can do it all at once though.

2 gigs of decent ram is >$100 now. Amd and Intel have been slashing prices left and right. So even a e4300 for >$120 or a 6320 for >$180 are good choices. A DS3 or S3 or barebones P5B will give you a great OC'er in the $100 range.

Back