• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade path from fx8350/R9 290X

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

91XRT

Registered
I do a lot of gaming from WoW, BF1, D3, Fallout, etc etc. I can currently play everything on max settings (all games default the settings to max/ultra), without any stutter or lag but i can feel the systems age and im considering a Ryzen upgrade. I built this pc for the BF4 Launch, so its old (by tech standards).

Just need opinions on what the best upgrade would be for my pc whether it be a TR or ryzen7, or maybe my gpu (upgrade to vega or maybe 1080ti?). And what kind of performance increase would i be likely to see?

I play BF1 64player hardcore conquest the most and at ultra settings i have zero issues so my rigs still chugging along good. lol

Full system specs below.

Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth 990fx Gen3 R2.0 The Ultimate Force (TUF) Series
CPU- AMD FX 8350 4.4ghz OC (running that speed for years)
Ram - 16gig (2x 8gig) Gskill Ripjaws X series 1866mhz-OC
GPU - Sapphire R9 290x BF4 edition - 1275mem clock and 5% wattman OC
SSD - Samsung 840 pro 250gig
PSU - Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w
Case - Coolermaster HAF X

Passmark Bench i just did
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=87389861784

I also have unigen heaven and full version of 3d mark i can run too if you want those.

Now, when i originally built this system it was because i did a lot of youtube videos (stopped 1.5 years ago or so / have over 1200 videos). I needed something that was a powerhouse for playing at max settings while recording at the same time and my current build was the solution. When i first built it and benched it (with my current/still in use overclocks) on fire strike extreme i was about 20% over their top "high end gaming pc" marker, 20% ahead of the stock 4770k and titan that was out at the time (99 percentile bench).

As for what i used my build for vs what i want for going forward:

For the years ive had it its been awesome but a year or so after swifty (wow youtuber) contacted me to do a 5 video series with him,i stopped youtubing. I ended upaveraging 120-150k views a months for a couple years straight but i stopped doing youtube because google is greedy and what i was making 800-1000 a month doing went down to 250 a month and i couldnt justify the time/investment vs return.

That said, i dont need a rig for encoding,editing,and gaming at the same time anymore, just strictly gaming.
However, note that i do run multiple monitors. One super low latency 48" samsung led screen and one other smaller and lower resolution screen for other stuff. I game on main screen and say, watch tv shows/youtube on the other/smaller one.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Since your considering something close to my build here is mine:
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=87558455914

Its your GPU that gets really crushed with the 1080Ti almost 3x better. Your disk bench also seems really low but synthetic benchs are always taken with a grain of salt. It really depends on your budget and what your looking to spend right now.

Is your 48" 4K? I would hope so, if not I'd highly consider something like a Sony 43X800E, TCL 55P607, Wasabi Mango UHD430, etc. If your not getting slow downs in your games getting a high end gpu will just smooth things out and give you some headroom. Better to push up the res or refresh to take advantage of expensive GPU horsepower otherwise its a waste.

Could also grab another 290x for some crossfire but that would be just to keep the current system as is for another year or so. You could sell of your cpu\mb\ram\gpu for a decent amount still to help fund a new build.

Last edited:
Threadripper would not be the direction you want to go for gaming. Clock speed and per core performance, which count for a lot in most games, is just not there. It's intention is as workstation/production machine doing tasks that benefit from many cores.

Right now your GPU and CPU are evenly matched. Any upgrade path having the potential for significant performance improvement will need to be a complete rebuild and necessitate a significant investment covering CPU, motherboard, and RAM at least. How much money are you wanting to sink into this? Are the coins burning a hole in your pocket? If what you have now is meeting your needs . . .

Realistically speaking I don’t see much of a reason to upgrade. Sure you could go Ryzen or TR but it wouldn’t show much improvement.

You could upgrade your ram to 32gb, that would help and a new GPU would as well but you might as well wait for Volta or Vega v2 before you go that route since nothing is broken

If your playing BF1 on ultra with 60fps ( is that in 64 man Mp servers ?) I would think you are still fine , It is the most taxing game I own by far .
You "could" get a new GFX card then wait a year for a CPU upgrade .

If your playing BF1 on ultra with 60fps ( is that in 64 man Mp servers ?) I would think you are still fine , It is the most taxing game I own by far .
You "could" get a new GFX card then wait a year for a CPU upgrade .

yeah i pretty much only do 64 player hardcore conquest.

Last edited:
Could also grab another 290x for some crossfire but that would be just to keep the current system as is for another year or so. You could sell of your cpu\mb\ram\gpu for a decent amount still to help fund a new build.

thought about it but they just as expensive now as they were new 4-5 years ago... if you can find one lol.

which im not surprised by given hjow damn beastly it is. I remember when i did youtube, recording in 4k at 100fps in bf4 lol. Games are more demanding these days but im not surprised at the price never dropping on them.

thought about it but they just as expensive now as they were new 4-5 years ago... if you can find one lol.

which im not surprised by given hjow damn beastly it is. I remember when i did youtube, recording in 4k at 100fps in bf4 lol. Games are more demanding these days but im not surprised at the price never dropping on them.

Cape Verde wasn't THAT nice, what you're seeing is miners jacking the price up. You'd be able to sell yours without any issue so if your desire is a new GPU buy NVidia.

Back