• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade path

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
Hey guys! Yup, it's me, you ain't dreaming and if you think you are dreaming, hit your hand with a hammer. That'll wake you up! :rofl:

Ok, now that I have your attention; I'm looking at new board/cpu upgrade. I shot myself in the foot going with the 7700K and intel finished me off with their regurgitated new gen chips/boards. I'm sick and tired waiting on intel to come up with something really new and exciting in terms of a performance jump, but no. 10-15% gains over last gen's with a heavier pricetag is the last straw. I'm done with intel.

Looking at AMD for my new upgrade route. Their new Ryzen/TR line looks very promising. I have plenty of raddage for cooling so that's not a problem. My 1070 still has plenty of life under the hood as I play in 1440 with maxed eye candy.

So the question is should I snag the TR 2920X & an X399 board to match up with it now or should I wait to see what AMD's new TR line drops later? I'm in to rush to upgrade atm, but I want to keep my ducks in a row before I pull the trigger.

Main job is gaming and will be streaming (tho I have a secondary rig for that). And of course forum activities/youtube.

What say ye?

Why would you upgrade in the first place? Do you use all those cores and threads or just want to stare at task manager and all those threads? Like ram capacity...having 'unused' cores and threads is a waste.

You game at 1440 so cpu doesnt really matter on that front.

That said, I'd wait until Zen2/Ryzen 3 series cpus hit and go from there.

+1 I keep wanting to upgrade also then I remember even at 1080p my RTX 2070 is not fast enough for the i5 8600k, so a upgrade will do nothing for me. I would wait like EarthDog said.

Yeah figured as much. Upgrading because I'd like to, not that I need to. I jumped on the 7700K from the 3570K because I wanted to build something new to last me a few years. Unfortunately going this route was a complete waste as it was a dead socket right from the start. I had thought this socket would allow me to upgrade just the chip if need be. I'm a firm believer it's good to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I'll save my duckets until Zen2/Ryzen 3 and see where it lands. I remember upgrading from 478 to Z97 and that was pretty fun.

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately going this route was a complete waste as it was a dead socket right from the start.
Why, because it doesn't have an upgrade path, is it a complete waste? That chip has PLENTY of horsepower to most anything and with the quickness! Are you doing things that would benfit from more cores and threads? Your gaming at 2560x1440 isn't CPU speed dependent...

Upgrading for giggles, nobody will stop you... we all do it. But do know that you can easily sit and wait a few months and see what the landscape is then.

I like to stare at task manager and all its cores and threads too... :p

Back