• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrade to windows 8.1 from 7?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clapper66

Registered
should i upgrade to windows 8.1 to make my system future proof? have windows 7, but can get 8.1 pro for free threw school. Or should i get a windows 8.1 key and keep it just in case? :confused::confused:

I was in the same situation, I wouldn't mind about being future proof yet. Windows 7 is a good OS, I did the upgrade , needed some time to get used to it but I don't regret the upgrade.

Please post what the term 'future proof' means?

There is little reason to move from Windows 7 to Windows 8.
If there is an equal choice between the two from scratch, sure, go Windows 8 - but move away from Windows 7? You're good until 2020 with Windows 7. By that time there'll be other more advanced Windows operating systems to move to.

If it is free, then yes, if you don't mind spending time to upgrade, for minor gains. But I wouldn't invest in a Windows 7 to 8 move.

Please post what the term 'future proof' means?

There is little reason to move from Windows 7 to Windows 8.
If there is an equal choice between the two from scratch, sure, go Windows 8 - but move away from Windows 7? You're good until 2020 with Windows 7. By that time there'll be other more advanced Windows operating systems to move to.

If it is free, then yes, if you don't mind spending time to upgrade, for minor gains. But I wouldn't invest in a Windows 7 to 8 move.

DX 11.2 is doe snot work on win 7 if im not confused. Most likely we will see a similar push for DX 12 once it hits mainstream.

If its free get it and get Classic Shell (so it looks and feels like win7)

ITS FREE!!! :attn:

I do love the faster boot time from win8 on non SSD's

I too get keys to Windows 8 from my college, but Windows 8.........
It's like getting dropped in a foreign country and expected to get by without help.

DX 11.2... I really don't see what's so great about it.
Sure classic shell makes Windows 8 usable, but then you pretty much have a newer Windows 7 install.

Not worth it IMHO.

Rather, get your keys, and save them for later. Like I do :)

Upgrading might be worth it for DX12... in a year or 2.

There is some positives for Win 8/8.1 vs 7. I do like some of the more detailed interfaces and it is nice but... I'm still hesitant to making that full switch to it. Also helps that some of my programs have issues installing on Win 8 right now so me staying away from it right now is some what of an excuse.

Though free is free, doesn't mean its good or anything. But if the key is good forever, can't hurt to keep it in your back pocket at least til there might be more compelling reason to do the upgrade.

My biggest concern is with DX12 support with windows 7. If anything I have key just in case, and if it comes down to just DX 12 maybe in will just dual boot 7 and 8 and use 8 for gaming.

My biggest concern is with DX12 support with windows 7. If anything I have key just in case, and if it comes down to just DX 12 maybe in will just dual boot 7 and 8 and use 8 for gaming.

Boom!
There's the best Solution IMO.

Back