• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ds9Defiant1701

Registered
Hi,

I have a Pc rig but its not enough powerfull and i want to know if i should change my video card and the cooler(to OC the CPU) or change the CPU first

my current rig:

CPU:A6-5400k
CPU Cooler: Stock
MB:Asus F2A85-V
RAM:1X4Gb 1333mhz Team Group Inc
Video Card: R7-250 OC
PSU:Thermaltake Tr2 430W
Case:Old Alienstyle case

Money:i have 160$+resell of the actual part i change

Thanks for help

You could swap out for a more powerful Athlon X4 CPU, sell your A6, Sell your R7 250 and aim for at least a GTX 750Ti GPU.

I dont know who built your PC but they messed up with the RAM. You want FAST RAM on an APU so the iGPU isn't bottlenecked. 1333Mhz RAM will cripple your APU in 3D.

i got this pc for 200$ 100$ for GPU and 100$ for the base pc(whitout the case)

Could have built you a decent budget computer for around that price. I only spent a little over 550 for mine. It was my first build. There are things I would change but it runs great for what I do.

There's a big difference between $200 and $550. Overall you did pretty well for $200 considering that Asus mb is fairly expensive.

As usual, #1 question is do you live near a Microcenter lol. If so you got some good options. If not you might have to get creative.

Whats your number one complaint currently? A specific game playing to slow, all games, Windows apps slow, or you just looking to beef it up.

Don't think you can crossfire a 5400K and an R7-250. The A6-5400K is pretty weak. If no MC nearby I would look for something used myself like an A10-5700 at a good price or an A10-6700 but its pretty expensive but they might crossfire with the 250. Otherwise there are plenty of good AMD cpu options in the $100 range that will all be faster. Add a Hyper 212 if you go up to a 100W cpu for sure.

Your ram is pretty bad, 2x4GB would be a good step up. I am guessing you don't have an SSD either. 120's are down as low as $70 these days and would be instant help.

The 760K is $10 more. There both 100W and you want to OC? Stock cooler would be a bad idea all around.

let start at start, what do you want to do with this rig?
game?
just a surfing rig?
watch movies?

So what can i go on the Athlon X4 750K? The stock cooler is ok?

Stock cooler is fine unless you want to OC. In that case look into a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ($30)

I would suggest you get more RAM as well and get at least a GTX 750Ti GPU. the 750Ti is a decent match for the athlon. Both entry level "decent" grade parts. Not great, not terrible.
If you want to stick with 1333Mhz RAM that's fine, just get another identical stick. Or you could get 2x4GB of some faster RAM. Up to you.

I think i would start with the athlon and hyper 212 to start then upgrade the rest as dollars allow.
I have an a6 6400k on a bottom of the line gigbytes board, going to 2000 ram with the piles driver core was a good choice.

i don't know if i will have the money but... i will try and the 660 my Psu will support or not?

Back