• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded To 16GB DDR3 RAM But I Feel System Is Slower

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Evening

I recently upgraded my RAM to 16GB's I had before installed Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB (2x4GB) 1866mhz DDR3 installed but running at 1600mhz and so upgraded to Corsair 16GB Vengeance Pro Red DDR3 1600mhz RAM I did the usual Windows Exp test which doesn't mean much but it gets the Aero stuff back etc and my CPU score dropped down to 7.6 from 7.8, Under RAM setting in my BIOS I set the RAM to use the XMP profile which makes the RAM run at 1.5v 1600mhz but CPU-Z doesn't show that obviously it only shows 800mhz per slot I've uploaded CPU Z screen shots.

I swear even though I was running my Ballistix Elite at 1600mhz I had a snappier system and yet the timings on the 16GB are lower slightly than the Elite???

Attachments

• CPUZ RAM 16GB.png
    CPUZ RAM 16GB.png
    44.3 KB · Views: 321
  • CPUZ CPU.png
    CPUZ CPU.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 318
the windows tool is a joke, newer gear being on the market weighs a lot in it also.
try wprime or super pi mod.

The CPU memory tab will always report the RAM at half of what you expect because it reports the DDR base frequency, not the DDR2 doubled speed. Just multiply by two.

the windows tool is a joke, newer gear being on the market weighs a lot in it also.
try wprime or super pi mod.

WPrime is reporting my memory clock is 0mhz

I found PassMark software 8.0 an old version it gave my system 3856 points which is fair to be honest, it does report that the RAM is running 800mhz both chips and command rate of 2T so I know it's running right just need a new SSD for my main OS and a new GPU but looking into upgrading to a Ryzen 2700X

Last edited:
The speed you see is the actual speed. Remember DDR = Double Data Rate, so the throughput is actually double the speed listed in CPUz. DDR, DDR2, DDR3, DDR4, does not matter (I.e.. DDR3 isn't triple, just as the 2 in DDR2 doesn't mean double). It is all D.D.R.

Wprime stinks at reporting that correct. Not valid... nor can I piece together now why WPrime was listed for your memory problem. Its good to measure performance if that is what CD was going for, but seemingly not the main issue.

All RAM frequency will show in CPUz memory tab as DRAM freq. Remember DDR3 being DDR meaning Double Data Rate means it will double DRAM freq.

DRAM vendors will sell RAM with labels showing DDR clock speed but DRAM freq is better to compare. In the end you will get used to it.

Back