• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading 775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I will keep that in mind but it has never failed me yet and yields decent results and i think also increases marginally the contact with the heatsink :)

I dont leave it on when i sleep though so ill jsut do it some other time :p

EDIT:
It seems stable at 4.0ghz with v-trimming of 0.005v+, I might need to figure out how to set a concrete cpu voltage though and I just don't see any option for it.

Anyone used ASROCK Z77 Bios for overclocking before? Does anyone know what VCORE in Extreme4-M is called?

Try this setting Additional Turbo Voltage or try to find Voltage Configuration and CPU Core Voltage should be there.

I looked in the manual and they should be there for the Z77 Extreme4-M .

I left it at 0.010v+ for the core and 1.455v for RAM at stock timings. Everything check out fine, in games it doesn't go over 70 degrees on the stock cooler. Should have the 212 EVO on Monday though.

On an unrelated note, I did what you told me and got am IDE-to-SATA converter.

Now I'm not sure how its supposed to work but here's what I encountered:

1. It came with no instructions as to how it's supposed to be installed, but it's only 2 cables and a plug so wasn't complex.

2. Case was crammed full of cables that I put there in order to maximise air-flow - I had previously taken out all the CD expansion slots, thus creating a through hole. Nevermind I dont have my left side case panel on - it reduced temps on my previous rig by a few degrees.
It was tricky to install in that respect.

3. MOLEX power connector was wired the wrong way round thus if I had connected it the way it was, the converter would get no power. I had to take the cables out and plug them in manually.

4. On initial boot everything was fine, drivers installed right away - out of nowhere.
As soon as I put an Asrock Drivers CD in it started spazzing out and eventually froze the system.

5. Next restart didn't even BOOT.
5.a Next one didn't even POST.

6. Disabled the DVD drive as a BOOT option
6.a Somehow a restart later it came back so i had to disable it again

7. I managed to open Asrock Drivers CD but during installation of the first driver (it's irrelevant which one, you get to install them all manually and separately) it froze again.

8. During every boot, the DVD drive goes through a sequence of ''clunks'' and noises that it only ever did once and only right after Start/Restart - as if to load up the device.
Now it does that around 3 times every boot.

9. CD's are likely to start spinning at normal speeds but once I try to access them they stop and the DVD drive starts to make noises similar to a Floppy Disk drive, takes a longer while to access the files and eventually it's likely to just freeze before anything useful happened. Also, I can eject the DVD normally through the context menu within windows so I know that at least that is recognized properly.

No idea what is causing this to happen, but my guess would be that hardware/software combination isn't right.

EDIT:
It takes almost infinitely long to load up a simple game CD (Euro Truck Simulator - nowhere near as long to install as GTA 4 for example)

EDIT 2:
EVENTUALLY it loaded the CD up and installation was more than quick and with no freezes. But it took a long while to load up so normally I would be halfway through installation if not done by the time it has loaded. During the loading, the CD repeatedly started and stopped spinning almost instantly as if it was trying to spin but something was blocking it - sort of like it lost power and just spooled down again.

Im trying to work out these little glitches and seeing whether they will be fixed along the way or whether I will need to actually do something...

Last edited:
Thats allright. I think ill try and check the drivers for the DVD drive I have and see whether that will help or not.

It keeps ruining my BOOT options still, I disabled it twice now and it has come back and stopped windows from booting. I had to restart around 4-5 times just to start the PC.
right after a failed boot, next restart yields a failed POST... and on the second restart i can start working out what the .... has gone wrong again.

I've disable it both as an option in BOOT sequence and in CD/DVD drives tab in BOOT menu (still, as a boot option but more in-depth). We'll see if it works now.

Windows is powerless to get my Automatic Updates up as well.

Hmm, I think It will be alright for now. The IDE stopped screwing with BIOS although it does still act weird on startup, it doesn't affect the boot. Didn't try a CD in i yet, but I have found drivers specific to my DVD drive and updated the windows installed ones. Seems good for now.

All in all it wasn't a bad purchase, cheap and I didn't have to buy a new drive but this situation just confirms that JUST when you thought all was planned out, things pop out unexpectedly.
Like the drive, the cooler not fitting, an unexpected need to reinstall the system... I'll keep this in mind for future updates :p

Wish I had a job though... I'd have gotten much more than just a new DVD drive.I have my eyes on that Noctua cooler, new ATI cards and a better case. Maybe even a case cooled with mineral oil:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

And here is INTEL testing this idea, merely 5 years after PugetSystems came up with it:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/intel-servers-mineral-oil-cooling/

EDIT:
Got the CM Hyper 212 EVO cooler. Temps are around 28 degrees idling at 4.5ghz. +.010 voltage offset ( I think, basically the second lowest setting).

Unable to boot past x45, unable to POST at x50.
I think now its only base clock O/C left, unless i can push the voltages right up but i don't want to fry it and I intend to use it often so...

EDIT 2:
x46. Voltage offset +0.025v. Total voltage indicated by CPUID at x46 is up to around 1.3v

MC started to crash at x45 +0.010v

Last edited:
New post to attract attention:

At x47 with offset +0.025v it started to crash again, blue screened and then got stuck at POST or while going into UEFI or would restart while trying to boot.

I doubled back to x45.
Blue screen message was 0x0000003B

I looked into the code and it apparently is likely to be cause by memory.

It might then mean that 1.455v is not enough to run 11-11-11-28 1T at 2133mhz. People claim to have gone 1.55v to make it stable at speeds up to 2400mhz with command rate 2T. But I don't know if that is a different setting to DRAM voltage.

Apparenlty there are two: 1.35v and 1.5v respectively. I really don't get it, so many settings.

BTW:
Should I switch off C-State stepping?

EDIT:
Throttled back CPU to 3.3ghz and no offset. Left RAM as it is, going to see if thats what caused the issues.

I'd reccomend switching off C-states at first and use a fixed vcore...but not sure if your board can do that.
Your ram kit might need more juice, not all sticks perform the same, some may need more or less voltage for a given frequency, some may even fall short and never reach said clocks...Your overclock settings must be tailored for your gear, by extensive testing.
Tinker around with it, add voltage to dram in 0.005v increments till you have no more bsods.
Also keep in mind that the memory controller is inside the cpu die, so when you overclock your chip you're heating up the memory controller, thus making its life harder.

I will keep that in mind. At stock core speed, it seems that nothing is crashing. I will turn back to x45 and see what I need to do to keep it stable.

Also, I got that EVO cooler now, my cpu hasnt gone over 45 degrees today

C-States off, indicated CPUID voltage jumped to 1.328v-1.336v and stays at x45 at all times.

That means that as great as having a constant x45 is, it overloads the cpu and wastes energy. But ill go with that just to find an Overclock. BTW I dont ahve any offset voltage on it at the moment. It chose it's own from 100% Load Line Calibration

I will lower it now and see what happens.

EDIT:
Right, Offset mode completely changes everything.

First off, voltage fell to 1.124 or something and fluctuated till 1.2v, didnt BOOT. Had trouble POSTING.

I set the voltage offset to -0.005v and it turned to over 1.2v, didnt boot.

So then I set it to +0.015 and now its running at 1.344v 0.0 what the hell?

EDIT 2:
BIOS shows a fluctuating up to 1.252v
CPUID shows almost unchanging 1.344v
What is going on....

Last edited:
Try to get the lowest offset value that doesn't crash or give errors when running prime95, r act up strangely (applications suddenly closing and such)
Use Prime95 and select custom. Then use min and max fft size 36, and mark 'run fft's in-place'. That should give you a quick estimate of cpu only stability if you run it for half an hour.

I don't have Prime95 and last time I checked it was purchasable software... It's okay, Minecraft serves best for me as an indication of whether things will or will not crash.

So here's a thing.
I booted at x47 with offset of 0.025v I think and then it refuesd to boot at all at x48 and offset of up to 0.045v. After that, it refused to enter UEFI menu for around 15 minutes worth of constant resetting and hanging. FINALYL i got in and turned it back and it still wouldnt not work. And it kept hanging too.... So i loaded my working 4.5ghz setup back and im back where I started. How much VCore offset DO I need to run 4.8ghz and over.... At 4.5 its already pulling 1.35v

Back